Car boot disability scooters

Name
mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Any one had any experience of these,i can still do most of the walking around i want but it is limited,an example would be Bempton walking down the hill and past the viewing point would probably be ok but walking back up i found difficult 3 years ago.

So ime looking for something to use occasionally carry 14 stone possibly up to 3 or 4 miles, my wife goes with me and i can't see her wanting to walk much further :eek:.

I know Bemton has a couple of scooters for visitors to use but you really need to book and living on the east coast you can get up in the morning and find its not the day to go.

My car has a decent sized boot so a light weight take apart should be no problem.

Tagging @fabs for you...the man in the know! :)

I have one that comes apart quite easily and fits in the boot (although you'd have precious little room for anything else like shopping which is why I have an estate). I wouldn't be without it, it gave me back so much freedom when I got it. The battery on mine is supposedly good for about 8-10 miles although I've never felt the desire to test that limit but I have used it on TP meets where it served me well.

You'd need to define lightweight. The battery is the heaviest component and it's bloody heavy. That said, mine's quite a basic model that I bought second hand for £300. I'm sure that, if you're willing to part with a few grand, you can find something lighter

I have one that comes apart quite easily and fits in the boot (although you'd have precious little room for anything else like shopping which is why I have an estate). I wouldn't be without it, it gave me back so much freedom when I got it. The battery on mine is supposedly good for about 8-10 miles although I've never felt the desire to test that limit but I have used it on TP meets where it served me well.

You'd need to define lightweight. The battery is the heaviest component and it's bloody heavy. That said, mine's quite a basic model that I bought second hand for £300. I'm sure that, if you're willing to part with a few grand, you can find something lighter

Thanks for the reply i wont be spending a lot of money on it,not this one but its something like this i thought i would get as at the moment (touch wood) i shouldnt need it much.

$_86.JPG

Thanks for the reply i wont be spending a lot of money on it,not this one but its something like this i thought i would get as at the moment (touch wood) i shouldnt need it much.

View attachment 100817

Yeah, that's similar to mine. Comes apart in 4 pieces. Takes just a couple of minutes for me to do on my own, takes the wife abut 3 seconds! :D

View attachment 100817

My father in law had what looked like that exact model. Split into four but the battery was heavy. Only sold it for him last week ( had I known you were looking I'd of offered you first refusal, sorry) it's great, with the only negative being he didn't find it the most stable scooter

My mum had a scooter that fitted in a car boot, it was this one http://www.mobilityscootersplus.com...scooter.html?gclid=COKPlvHfxNMCFZQy0wodTEkN5g

Used daily in all weathers and stored under a cover outside, only thing that ever needed replacing was the battery (apart from the new ignition lock I fitted when ma lost her key and couldn't find the spare)

Sad bit now, she was crossing the road on it and got hit by a car. Scooter was bashed up, but survived the crash and still worked.
Sadly ma didn't, but does prove how durable this scooter is and it's excellent build quality

Last edited:
e
My mum had a scooter that fitted in a car boot, it was this one http://www.mobilityscootersplus.com...scooter.html?gclid=COKPlvHfxNMCFZQy0wodTEkN5g

Used daily in all weathers and stored under a cover outside, only thing that ever needed replacing was the battery (apart from the new ignition lock I fitted when ma lost her key and couldn't find the spare)

Sad bit now, she was crossing the road on it and got hit by a car. Scooter was bashed up, but survived the crash and still worked.
Sadly ma didn't, but does prove how durable this scooter is and it's excellent build quality

Sorry to her that,i have had some experiences my late wife had one but although it took to pieces it was a much larger thing than ime looking at.

We have a hold on new spending at the moment i collect our new car at the weekend and the company my wife works for have the receivers in :(,although there is a glimmer of hope with that one.

It does look a bit fragile. Mine's a Kymco and it's rather solid (although it may be a bit heavier).

There's a photo of mine in this thread.

Thats looking more like it especially the wheels

i was looking for my father in law but
a. he won't entertain the idea - loss of face etc
b. I honestly think he'll be a bloody menace on it

However, slightly bigger wheels went well over terrain and you get ones with lipo batteries now - much lighter for lifting in and out. The ones I looked at had the battery in a pack so you could lift that component separately.

I would suggest a scooter with bigger wheels if its for off road use / Fields etc

Thats looking more like it especially the wheels

Yes, bigger wheels will make a difference. Even dropped kerbs have enough of a lip to cause problems for smaller wheels

i was looking for my father in law but
a. he won't entertain the idea - loss of face etc

TBF, I was the same. It got to the stage where I was barely leaving te house except to go to work.

b. I honestly think he'll be a bloody menace on it

I try! :D

I would suggest a scooter with bigger wheels if its for off road use / Fields etc

No its only for smooth surfaces.

When i knew one would be good for my late wife i struggled thinking how to suggest it so i said you may come to the point you need one,i then said lets call in and look at some,i got her to try one in the shop carpark we bought it there and then she couldn't get the smile off her face.

Got a week at bempton coming up in just over a week ,if this weather keeps up I think I might need skis and snowshoes

When i knew one would be good for my late wife i struggled thinking how to suggest it so i said you may come to the point you need one,i then said lets call in and look at some,i got her to try one in the shop carpark we bought it there and then she couldn't get the smile off her face.

The local outlet has scooters so I thought it a good place to let him try. 20 mins of "I don't need one, I'm not that bad" to him finally trying and then heading for everyone at a rate of knots out of control, then getting out of it.
What I need is one with a kill switch at the back with a lanyard, like you get on kiddy scooters or jetskis so the person with him can emergency stop it :D

View attachment 100817

That is exactly what I bought the wife about 6 weeks ago following her achilles tendon repair and she loves it. We paid 300 quid, 3 month warranty and when shes finished with it it will likely go on ebay and lose very little money.

Goes in the boot of the touran easily enough, seat comes off, battery comes off, rear drive unit clips off the body and the handle folds down. it's not lightweight but is easy enough work in its seperate components.
Gets 8 to 10 miles easily, but we live in a relatively flat area so battery consumption is very dependant on terrain and hills.

Its given her sooooo much independence its been worth every penny.

The local outlet has scooters so I thought it a good place to let him try. 20 mins of "I don't need one, I'm not that bad" to him finally trying and then heading for everyone at a rate of knots out of control, then getting out of it.
What I need is one with a kill switch at the back with a lanyard, like you get on kiddy scooters or jetskis so the person with him can emergency stop it :D

Not such a bad idea! Should be easy enough to sort something like a blade breaker/knife type switch and a piece of string...

Not such a bad idea! Should be easy enough to sort something like a blade breaker/knife type switch and a piece of string...
At the moment we're back into the "I don't need one I'm fine". Just thought it would stop him using his car for local journeys

I know the RRP is stupid but i missed this deal locally,think i will buy new and keep it small as my wife has a few health problems including Gout every so often,this would mean using the boot and back seat i could get two in the car if needed.

kymco-mini.jpg

I know the RRP is stupid but i missed this deal locally,think i will buy new and keep it small as my wife has a few health problems including Gout every so often,this would mean using the boot and back seat i could get two in the car if needed.

View attachment 101026

Yep, that's the same model as mine. The RRP on these is always ludicrous but that one exceptionally so! That's still a very good deal though.

After looking at a few in some shops i decided i needed something on the lighter side rather than range, so i could easily lift it in and out of the boot myself so bought this one new for £450.

Thanks for the input every one.

my scooter.JPG

A friend I met recently has one for his Mrs that fits without dismantling in the back of his X-Trail, he fitted an electric hoist in the side of the boot that lifts it in and out so it doesn't have to be lightweight. Still room for shopping back there too.

I did look at one for the missus, but she said she would not feel safe using one. They do look and feel a little flimsy. They might be OK for the person who can stabilise themselves with their feet, should the scooter wobble or sway etc.

I did look at one for the missus, but she said she would not feel safe using one. They do look and feel a little flimsy. They might be OK for the person who can stabilise themselves with their feet, should the scooter wobble or sway etc.

Although i don't think that would be a problem i can fully understand the reasoning, semi-solid tyres and light weight dont help the initial feeling.
I do know the larger models do feel far more stable but then they dont fit in mot car boots

Yeah, that's similar to mine. Comes apart in 4 pieces. Takes just a couple of minutes for me to do on my own, takes the wife abut 3 seconds! :D

Have had one of these for over five years and it ha serve me well. Very stable and takes two 12Ah which are the heaviest items so any scooter using more powerful batteries will obviously beheavier

Just bought a foldable one myself, I have been resisting the purchase as I felt I was giving up, but I just needed it.....Just had a weeks holiday in Cornwall and the freedom and extra distance we covered was worth the purchase.

I'm on the large side so I wanted one with 8mph, some range, weight carrying and a large motor, the benefits of living in hilly Wales.:D.. The one I purchased is the only one I could find which meet my criteria, although heavy Clare can get it dissembled and in the car for me.

I paid £795 for mine delivered and I'm really impressed with scooter and the service from the company who are the importers. Most dealers are asking £1100 plus and delivery on top.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Travelux-...er-/302294986114?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Hugo looking inquisitive over my new wheels. by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back