Car-boot negatives and slides find

Name
Nige
Edit My Images
No
I bought a set of old negatives and Kodachrome slides from a chap at the car-boot sale I visited today. I'll scan some of them and add them in here if people are interested?

There are about 15 kodachrome slides and loads of (mostly) medium format negatives. They look to have been taken no later than the 1960s, and some may be earlier. Quite a lot of them are family photos, but there's other subject matter in there too. The slides have all got some dust on them, so I'll have to attempt to clean them before scanning, and some of them have a strong purple cast where the dyes have presumable faded, and which I'm not sure how to correct (any suggestions welcome), but here are a few that I scanned today.

1 - This is titled Ryde Sunset, so presumable taken on the Isle of Wight.

FOUND FILM - Kodachromes-2
by a_bit_of_this_a_bit_of_that, on Flickr

FOUND FILM - Kodachromes

FOUND FILM - Kodachromes-4

FOUND FILM - Kodachromes-3

Last edited:
Well saved I'd say! Usually people just dump them for landfill. First one is very nice. All that time and effort to end up in a car boot sale. Sad. I wonder if my digital files will ever be discovered when I'm gone in some way? Probably and almost almost certainly not. Then again, they say everything on the net is there forever, unfortunately the hosting companies probably not. But I digress I guess. Mortality and all that.

The stock library foto libra might be interested in some of them. They like historical stuff that's not been seen before.

Other than the Kodachrome slides, most of them are black and white photos, but there's a roll of 6x6 Kodak Vericolor negatives too. I think Verichrome was the predecessor to Portra, wasn't it? A lot of the negs are dusty and will need some cleaning or touching up, but the slides are a bugger. I've been taking the film out in order to do the best I can to clean the glass and film of marks and dust, but getting them back together with the film correctly aligned is, as they say in Yorkshire, a reyt bugger to do. There are some nice looking slides though, so I shall persevere. :)

Last edited:
Have you tried leaving them mounted but using some IPA (not the ale...) on cotton buds? Not plastic ones, obviously, only the best new paper ones... ;)

Have you tried leaving them mounted but using some IPA (not the ale...) on cotton buds? Not plastic ones, obviously, only the best new paper ones... ;)

Unfortunately, the dust and debris has gotten under the glass, so the only way to clean them is via dismantling them. Like many things, taking them to bits is easy. Putting them back together, less so. Especially with my crack-handed paws. :(

some of them have a strong purple cast where the dyes have presumable faded, and which I'm not sure hot to correct (any suggestions welcome),

I assume that the typo should read "how" rather than "not" - both make perfect sense.

On that assumption, based on my work this week with a similar problem on Kodachrome, I found that adjusting magenta (mainly) and to a lesser extent green and blue sliders improved things. An alternative option (if your software supports it) is to use the eyedropper on a place which is known to be neutral and let the software adjust the balance automatically. If using this last option, you may have to try several supposedly neutral spots before finding the best fit. I won't highjack the thread with my original and the results of various remedies.

I assume that the typo should read "how" rather than "not" - both make perfect sense.

On that assumption, based on my work this week with a similar problem on Kodachrome, I found that adjusting magenta (mainly) and to a lesser extent green and blue sliders improved things. An alternative option (if your software supports it) is to use the eyedropper on a place which is known to be neutral and let the software adjust the balance automatically. If using this last option, you may have to try several supposedly neutral spots before finding the best fit. I won't highjack the thread with my original and the results of various remedies.

Thanks Stephen. I'll give those a try.

Yes, it was a typo - I'd normally blame my phone or something, but I was using the PC, so put it down to the aforementioned crack-handedness. :)

I've just played with one from my purple period and created a new thread so as not to highjack this one with suggestions on possible remedies.

Here are some of the Kodak Vericolor 160 shots. Having looked a these, I think the timeframe for this particular roll may be more recent than the apparent date of some of the other photos in the collection. I think, from the clothing of the people in a few of the shots, that these might have been taken in the 1980s.

I'm unsure of the location, although the latin phrase atop the country house is pretty distinctive, so maybe someone recognises it?

FOUND FILM - Kodak Vericolor 160-6

FOUND FILM - Kodak Vericolor 160-7

FOUND FILM - Kodak Vericolor 160-2

FOUND FILM - Kodak Vericolor 160-3

FOUND FILM - Kodak Vericolor 160-8

FOUND FILM - Kodak Vericolor 160-9

FOUND FILM - Kodak Vericolor 160-10

FOUND FILM - Kodak Vericolor 160-4

Last edited:
The right hand side says "Beati Omnes qui timent [dominum]" which according to Google translates as Blessed are they who fear the Lord. It's also the title of a motet by Henry Purcell, which I thought might be a clue except he was born after the date of 1624 (?) shown, and anyway I think he lived in London. I haven't been able to read the centre section well. "Labor" is clear on the left, but best guess is something like "AV RV NT aedificant ?eam ??? 1624" which might mean the house was built by those three people in 1624.

It might be Castle Ashby; I cannot confirm it, and the date appears to be wrong. The images I find do make it seem at least possible; and the grounds contain similar ornate pillars.

See this photo.

It might be Castle Ashby; I cannot confirm it, and the date appears to be wrong. The images I find do make it seem at least possible; and the grounds contain similar ornate pillars.

See this photo.

I think you've nailed it. Some of the other photos in the collection are from the Milton Keynes area, so this is local. Plus this photo closely matches one of those above...

https://goo.gl/images/sRNPHa

I have another location challenge for another image to come shortly....

Last edited:
It looks like the bit I was having trouble with is "LABORAVERUNT QUI AEDIFICANT EAM". Apparently the whole left hand bit (round the back as well, presumably) means "Except the Lord build the house they labour but in vain they who build it; except the Lord keep the house the watchman waketh but in vain". An interesting and ancient house I'd never heard of!

Looks like Grimsthorpe Castle to me, just outside of Bourne at well Grimsthorpe...

I enjoy the first shot very much, looks like whoever shot it was a keen adventurer.

Here's another "identify the location" challenge...

The pub / inn shown here is called the Rose & Castle. I've found anothe Rose & Castle pub near a canal in Ansty, nr Coventry, but it doesn't look to be the same one. Any ideas folks?

FOUND FILM - Rose & Castle

This was shot on Kodak Safety Film (Verichrome?).

And here's anothe batch of the Kodachromes. These all had a heavy purple cast, which I was unable to remove, so I've converted them to black and white.

The first is another Isle of Wight shot, overlooking Totland Bay. I'm unsure of the others as the slide titles either produce no ready results when I search online, or in the case of shot 3, the writing is diffcult to read (I think it says Sharram Chine). Not sure whereabouts the elephant phot was taken either, but if there's a zoo on the Isle of Wight, then that might be a good guess. :)

FOUND FILM - Kodachromes - Totland Bay

FOUND FILM - Kodachromes - Slatted Row

FOUND FILM - Kodachromes - Sharram(?) Chine

FOUND FILM - Kodachromes - Elephant

My best idea (based on what I've just discovered) is that it isn't called that now.

The only pub I've found near a canal of the name (or even not near one) is the Ansty one.

The photograph indicates that it was a Watneys; Watney's were bought out in the 1970s and (apparently) a lot of their pubs were closed. I expect the building still exists, but might not be a pub any more; or could be a trendy venue called something like "The Old Sock and Mud" .:D

Some more Kodachrome slides. Again, I've had to convert a couple to B&W because of the heavy purple cast, but I was ablet to rescue the colour on the other two. The top one is interesting in that I've managed to track down the location (the slide is titled "Old Wolverton Road 1960" - a road in Milton Keynes). The house in the picture can be seen on the overhead view from Google maps (although it can't be seen from Streetview due to foliage):

https://goo.gl/maps/cAEJj3yHJs72

I'm unsure as to the locations of the other shots. The one with the caravan is titled "Duck, circus 1960". The one with the electricity lines is titled "Telephone poles", and the one with the woodland is "Edge of wood".

FOUND FILM - Kodachromes-14

FOUND FILM - Kodachromes-12

FOUND FILM - Kodachromes-13

FOUND FILM - Kodachromes-9

Well that is a surprise,it must be 70 years old at least. :LOL:

I wonder if the barn yard goose is still alive.:naughty:

Search Barnyardgoose.gov.uk (y)

Last edited:
Well someone could use the number plate on something modern, with a name like Victor Oscar Underwood ;)

A few more scans. One Kodachrome, one unknown 35mm B&W film, and two medium format shots on Kodak Safety Film.

The second shot is St. James' Square according to the street signs, but I've no idea which St. James' Square it is (and I don't know when it was taken - the bicycle looks quite modern in design, but I'm not an expert on such things). I've also no idea where the ruined building is in the first 120 shot.

FOUND FILM - Kodachromes-10

FOUND FILM - St James' Square

FOUND FILM - Kodak Safety Film

FOUND FILM - Kodak Safety Film-2

Great work Fishyfish and of the pics above I think no.2 is really evocative.

Lovely stuff.

Talk about "every picture tells a story."

Last edited:
I love these found film shots, each one has its own story.

Here's another "identify the location" challenge...

The pub / inn shown here is called the Rose & Castle. I've found anothe Rose & Castle pub near a canal in Ansty, nr Coventry, but it doesn't look to be the same one. Any ideas folks?

FOUND FILM - Rose & Castle

This was shot on Kodak Safety Film (Verichrome?).

Think you will find this is now called "The Boathouse", Braunston, Northants on the Grand Union Canal previously known as the Rose and Castle in the 1980's, you can read a bit more about the pub and see a few different photos of how it changed over the years here: http://pubsthenandnow.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/200-boathouse-braunston-northants-1986.html

Think you will find this is now called "The Boathouse", Braunston, Northants on the Grand Union Canal previously known as the Rose and Castle in the 1980's, you can read a bit more about the pub and see a few different photos of how it changed over the years here: http://pubsthenandnow.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/200-boathouse-braunston-northants-1986.html
4bqa_9.jpg

certainly looks like the same place

great Sherlock Holmes-ing there

I brought a load of old negatives off Ebay last night (mainly Canal images apprently) will have to start a thread when I get them and scan them.

The first is another Isle of Wight shot, overlooking Totland Bay.

Nice collection.... Totland Bay this is the wrong way round! Fort Albert in the background is to the North East(ish) of Totland/Colwell. That cliff walk footpath is no longer there, nor the lookout post (well, it is but down in the sea!).Walked along there many a time when I was but a lad :)

Nice collection.... Totland Bay this is the wrong way round! Fort Albert in the background is to the North East(ish) of Totland/Colwell. That cliff walk footpath is no longer there, nor the lookout post (well, it is but down in the sea!).Walked along there many a time when I was but a lad :)

Thanks. I must have scanned the slide upside down. :)

Thanks. I must have scanned the slide upside down. :)

I did go to the length of 'flipping' it in Photoshop then I noticed you had "no edits" set.

Just found this fascinating thread. I'm pretty sure "Sharram" Chine is actually Shanklin Chine. In that picture it looks very much like it did in the 50s and 60s before they installed new fencing and low lights along the footpaths. If you do a Google search for Shanklin Chine you won't see any photos looking like that one, and I'm not surprised as it's one of the most boring bits of the Chine.

The elephant shot was probably taken at the Isle of Wight Zoo and I'm guessing in the 60s when it was still called Sandown Zoo. They don't have elephants now. Only about half a dozen of them do these days.

Looking at your collection on Flickr, and going by the cars, the clothing, the furniture and so on, I'd say it possibly spans from the late 50s to the late 60s. It's possibly worth showing these to a photographic historian to find out more.

(I think it says Sharram Chine)

I think that could be Shanklin Chine (on the Isle of Wight) .... I did seem a bit familiar but there isn't a lot to go on
;)

ETA - Garry beat me to it

Back