Car buyers should have 'long, hard think' about diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't help but wonder how much damage some of these new diesels are doing to the environment purely from the fact that they've got so bloody complex to meet the CO2 standards that repairing even a small thing can pretty much write them off as scrap the moment they slip out of warranty.

I see a lot of very new and undamaged looking diesels slowly rotting away in the scrapyards these days. Used to be you could buy a diesel and run it until the body fell apart around it.

I can't help but wonder how much damage some of these new diesels are doing to the environment purely from the fact that they've got so bloody complex to meet the CO2 standards that repairing even a small thing can pretty much write them off as scrap the moment they slip out of warranty.

I see a lot of very new and undamaged looking diesels slowly rotting away in the scrapyards these days. Used to be you could buy a diesel and run it until the body fell apart around it.
They are no more complex than older diesels. Just a few more bits bolted on to help with emissions.

He must have the poshest car in the street in Swansea. Next you'll be telling us he's got a TV too! ;)
Puzzling post but whatever?

Do you actually know my family and circumstances or do you get your outlook on life from the Daily Mail?

Sad

Puzzling post but whatever?

Do you actually know my family and circumstances or do you get your outlook on life from the Daily Mail?

Sad
It's a fellow Welshman from Cardiff taking the Mick of another Welshman from Swansea it's as old as time, my partner is from Swansea my kids are half jack get over yourself.

Last edited:
It's a fellow Welshman from Cardiff taking the Mick of another Welshman from Swansea it's as old as time, get over yourself.
Not being native Welsh but having family who have chosen to take jobs in Swansea (NHS) and live in Sketty. I am unaware of the nuances of the South Wales inter-city dialogue. it did not ce up when I was woring on DfT property issues st DVLA for a few months 14 years ago as one of the guys I worked with also did club Doorman work Friday/Saturday nights in the City. I got the impression that he did not like anyone who did not originate from Neath.

My son does not live in Wales but in Bath, however my sister does and her children were born in Swansea.

I do make many trips over the bridge as my mother relocated herself to The Mumbles so I am often there to visit and also phoytograph on the Gower all year round. The only time I am aware of Cardiff/Swansea issues is Saturday night in the Mumblrs pubs....

All in, it's not about 'getting over myself' but more about being unaware of the 'tribes'. It originally felt like an attack on a family member and therefore came across as being wrong.

And yes, I will be over the bridge tomorrow as I attempt, again, to get to do some photography on the Brecons..... with the Kuga [emoji56]

Steve

Last edited:
According to an article yesterday SUV drivers are next to be demonised for pollution. So I don't see it ending there. Next petrol then electric will all be blamed so get used to walking

Be easier with a Canon!!!
All 35mm this time

EOS 3 (HP4), EOS 5 (Ektar 100)....

With the 3 niw serviced I will soon be putting my EOS50E and winder on the classifieds

According to an article yesterday SUV drivers are next to be demonised for pollution. So I don't see it ending there. Next petrol then electric will all be blamed so get used to walking
like ciggies and booze, diesel and petrol all cas cows

as @nilagin said ear;ier once the real world testing is in place it will be a simple numbers game and it will be obvious by the stickers on the car windscreen in the showroom.

but like ciggies i dont think the picture of a child dying of ashma at the road side will make much difference to rich buyers.

My local paper today is reporting that Diesel cars have been dropping in value, with dealers having difficulty shifting them. And that petrol cars have been taking up the slack. They attribute this to proposals of peak time bans on certain vehicle types that might soon be brought into effect in parts of the city that have been exceeding the legal levels of pollution. And also the VW Diesel scandal has been hurting Diesel sales for some months.

Last edited:
My local paper today is reporting that Diesel cars have been dropping in value, with dealers having difficulty shifting them. And that petrol cars have been taking up the slack. They attribute this to proposals of peak time bans on certain vehicle types that might soon be brought into effect in parts of the city that have been exceeding the legal levels of pollution. And also the VW Diesel scandal has been hurting Diesel sales for some months.
There was a drop in diesel values when the VW fiasco first became public knowledge. Meanwhile VW Europe, are still claiming they never cheated the emissions and don't owe any compensation.

The government will push what ever it is financially better pushing.

If you look at emissions produced to create the batteries in the all electric vehicles and hybrids you'll see that one way or another one "level" of what ever emission it is will be higher than the others.

Diesel is worse than petrol, petrol is worse than electric, electric is worse than diesel... rinse repeat. It all depends on the flavour of the week.

Ultimately the answer to the problem here is to get local jobs, use Skype for meetings (or similar software) and vastly improve in public transport, most of which just won't happen or is unreasonable.

Stop the "everyone needs a company car" rubbish or force the company cars to be little 1.5ltr 3cly eco wagons rather than the usual 2+ ltr German motorway saloons that get smashed around everywhere at 90mph. Forcing own car useage may also help to fix this as I wouldn't want to be doing a motorway crawl in a 3ltr petrol turbo (which I have and it sucks!) so would be more inclined to purchase something a little more economical and planet friendly.

The new road tax regs kicking in in April should go some way to sorting some of that as well as residual values but it'll be a few years in the making.

Yeah man. Can pretend you're James bond with his smoke screen car gadget.
Thought that was only VAGs, my Civic never had a dpf but running 195bhp 325lb/ft egr off and no smoke.

It is about the changing attitude of owners who treat cars like mobile phones and overpriced yet very poor servicing at many many garages and dealerships.

If you travel around the world or even just around the Europe you will find the cars are valued fairly differently than in UK, and they tend to be in service a lot longer... RHD cars have nowhere else to go after we are bored of them. LHD could end up down in Africa or deep in Asia and you bet they don't pay £120 per hour garage labour for a bloke having a fag, then coffee, then another fag (reasonable garages also exist but tend to be hard to find)

It is about the changing attitude of owners who treat cars like mobile phones and overpriced yet very poor servicing at many many garages and dealerships.

If you travel around the world or even just around the Europe you will find the cars are valued fairly differently than in UK, and they tend to be in service a lot longer... RHD cars have nowhere else to go after we are bored of them. LHD could end up down in Africa or deep in Asia and you bet they don't pay £120 per hour garage labour for a bloke having a fag, then coffee, then another fag (reasonable garages also exist but tend to be hard to find)
Not sure what world you live in but as far as countries that drive RHD cars there are India, Australia and Southern Africa as well as the Caribbean, Ireland, Malta and Cyprus.
I use a main dealership to have my car serviced and they don't charge £120/hr neither.

Stop the "everyone needs a company car" rubbish or force the company cars to be little 1.5ltr 3cly eco wagons rather than the usual 2+ ltr German motorway saloons that get smashed around everywhere at 90mph. Forcing own car useage may also help to fix this as I wouldn't want to be doing a motorway crawl in a 3ltr petrol turbo (which I have and it sucks!) so would be more inclined to purchase something a little more economical and planet friendly.
The next Fiesta ST will be a 1.5 cyl eco wagon. Still pushes out 200PS though. 90mph still won't be a problem.

I'm actually going to look at a used diesel car this weekend it's making me have thoughts to if the road tax is likely to rocket over the next few years for it though.

Only slightly shifting topic, but this winter there seems to be a hue & cry about people using renewable fuel for heating: those of us with wood burners are apparently responsible for terrible pollution across Europe.

Only slightly shifting topic, but this winter there seems to be a hue & cry about people using renewable fuel for heating: those of us with wood burners are apparently responsible for terrible pollution across Europe.

wood burners produce a lot of fine particles similar to diesel yes that is correct.
not good for air quality at all.

What are folks supposed to burn for heat?
Oil and gas are finite resources.

What are folks supposed to burn for heat?
Oil and gas are finite resources.

Each other. :runaway:

Being serious for a mo, I guess the ideal would be storing energy from sunlight in some fashion that could then be used in the winter. In an un-ideal world, I'd suggest we continue burning renewables, do our best to find ways to clean up and cope with the relatively small numbers of people who will be adversely affected (this won't work with expanding populations!).

I've got a diesel car, a wood burner, and 4 fireplaces....

I recycle though?

I'm actually going to look at a used diesel car this weekend it's making me have thoughts to if the road tax is likely to rocket over the next few years for it though.
Buy a new Mustang V8 and keep it for a few years, under the new VED pricing you will actually be better off than under the current one, just don't put more than £5k's worth of extras on the car, sure VED will be £2k for the 1st year and then £140 a year after but it won't take many years to balance the books at the current VED of £1120 for the 1st year and £515 a year there after.

Go on, make my next purchase - the X5 or Tuareg - that much cheaper. This will p*** off so many people so quickly that it will never work and will fizzle out as another environmental scam.

We all know the future is electric. All they have to do is make a few cars that will cost similar, look just as good and do at least 300 miles in one charge. Tesla is nearly there by all measures but price tag. Once we are there the transition will happen naturally so there is no need for scaremongering.

and where does the leccy come from? A solar panel or a coal / nuclear power station?

well being a selfish b*****d I am quite happy with my 1.3 105Bhp punto that does 70+ combined...

Mileage I do, I could xwap for a small petrol but double the fuel costs?

and where does the leccy come from? A solar panel or a coal / nuclear power station?
Importantly for this thread, electric cars don't exacerbate the problems cities are facing of extreme levels of NO2 and fine particles.

It's got me wondering if I buy a used diesel now will the government soon raise my road tax to stupid levels to force me to sell again.

It's got me wondering if I buy a used diesel now will the government soon raise my road tax to stupid levels to force me to sell again.
I don't think there are any plans to alter the VED on cars that already exist. The auto industry were expecting a diesel car scrapage scheme to have been announced in the budget today, to get older dirtier cars off the road but it never happened. Whether it will in the near future I don't know.

I really didn't want to play an advocate to the EU bureaucrats and the GreenFarce but there we go. You can shift the pollution from around you nose to the coal plants we all love. The plants can have the latest and greatest scrubbers that beat all the DPF filters in the current cars. Let's move on to the really important bit -> electric cars have really nice acceleration which I am sure will make the slow-miserable-everyhere crowd very cheerful, and it costs far less to drive electric until we see price hikes.

Buy a new Mustang V8 and keep it for a few years, under the new VED pricing you will actually be better off than under the current one, just don't put more than £5k's worth of extras on the car, sure VED will be £2k for the 1st year and then £140 a year after but it won't take many years to balance the books at the current VED of £1120 for the 1st year and £515 a year there after.

You don't have to buy brand new. You could wait a year or two while some very generous person absorbs the tax and the lion share of depreciation.

Not sure what world you live in but as far as countries that drive RHD cars there are India, Australia and Southern Africa as well as the Caribbean, Ireland, Malta and Cyprus.
I use a main dealership to have my car serviced and they don't charge £120/hr neither.

Yeah sure, we sell tons of second hand cars to India and Australia. Oh wait...

Tell me again how much the VW, Audi, BMW and Hyundai dealerships charge for labour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back