Car Insurance for teenagers

I have no advice....nor any kids for that matter....But why NSFW? :thinking:

Any tips for insuring teenagers. So far any online quotes I have tried are coming up with ridiculous sums. Would I be better adding my daughter to my policy as a named driver?

Yeah that's what my parents did about 10 years ago.

If teen as own car, I have just been sorting same out for my daughter who will be 17 in three weeks and has saved (nearly) enough for a polo and insurance. Best policy I could find was an Admiral Multi Car policy.

Own insurance in her own name £2,200

vs

Multi car insurance - my car with me as main driver £320 and her car with her as main driver and with me named £1,400

You can't have someone as the named driver who is actually the main driver of the car, it's now illegal.

Look at cars in low insurance groups, like 1 or 2. Fiat Pandas are 1.

If teen as own car, I have just been sorting same out for my daughter who will be 17 in three weeks and has saved (nearly) enough for a polo and insurance. Best policy I could find was an Admiral Multi Car policy.

Own insurance in her own name £2,200

vs

Multi car insurance - my car with me as main driver £320 and her car with her as main driver and with me named £1,400

What if her car was in your name as main driver and added your daughter as named. Would that bring it down more?
Sounds like you got the same quote as me as my daughter will also be 17 soon and the best so far was £2240.

You have to be careful about anything considered as fronting. Any vehicle that she is the main driver of needs her named as that main driver.

Multi car policy taking advantage of your current ncd seems the most sensible way forward.

I think it's a good idea for teenagers to pass the driving test but there's no reason why they have to get a car immediately. They have managed without one up to that point.

Steve

Or do as I did when I was a teenager.
Only have what I could afford.
Go get a job and save for it.
Stop looking for handouts and grow up :shrug:
That was lots of years ago :D

Check out Co-oP young driver scheme. They fit a tracker to the car, brings it down hell of a lot. You can get a quote online but mess with the answers, order of named drivers etc as this has an impact.

You can monitor the driving dashboard to see how she is doing, very good for keeping tabs.

Phil.

I think it's a good idea for teenagers to pass the driving test but there's no reason why they have to get a car immediately. They have managed without one up to that point.

Steve

What if they're not one of the teeneagers in college / university, going for one of todays immense amount of frivolous degrees.....WHat if they actually have a job and need to get to work?
What if they are at university working for an actually useful degree and they need to drive to campus?

going on the way i see young people driving your quote seems cheap I would double it :LOL:

I suppose my answer is how are they getting to work/campus at the moment?

You can't have someone as the named driver who is actually the main driver of the car, it's now illegal.

It has always been illegal, it is simply that more people are now aware.

Check out Co-oP young driver scheme. They fit a tracker to the car, brings it down hell of a lot. You can get a quote online but mess with the answers, order of named drivers etc as this has an impact.

You can monitor the driving dashboard to see how she is doing, very good for keeping tabs.

Phil.

Don't like this because if you for instance braked harshly or swerved to avoid a collision then it'd be logged as dangerous/agressive driving.

it helps when its parked off road, locked in a garage at night, somewhere secure etc.

Put it this way i still put my mother on my insurance as a named driver now at 24 as it still saves me money.

My first year was 1200, then 900, then so on and so forth until it is where it is now after 6 years where i finally call it fairly priced.

Basically it is what it is, but dont bend the truth to insurers as they WILL find out

Built into the software, they understand that you may need to brake harshly, exceed the speed limit to avoid a collision. I can vouch that it works too, the dashboard software shows ALL peaks & troughs.

Show you're a good driver, your premium reduces, drive like we did 'back in the day' and pay more.

It's just a pain when I drive it - 30mph seems way too slow ;)

I've always found that my premium is less each year when stated as parking on an off road drive rather than the garage. (we have both)

Here's some things you can try to get the price down:
Go through a comparison site (infact, go through a couple, some give you cheaper quotes than others, go through topcashback and you can get paid to do it). Set the policy date to as late as you can, normally this is 30 days, it will reduce the quote by quite a bit and you'll still be able to start it whenever you want.
Get at least 2 other people named on the policy, experienced, around 50 years old.
Comprehensive is sometimes cheaper, if it is and you don't really care about having comprehensive, set the excess as high as you can. You only pay this if you want your insurer to pay for damage to your car.
Smaller engined cars are not always cheaper - ford focuses are relatively cheap to insure, VW Golfs, Astras are relatively expensive. Basically, the less a car appeals to chavs, the cheaper it will be to insure.
Keep the mileage as low as you can, don't over estimate.

What if they're not one of the teeneagers in college / university, going for one of todays immense amount of frivolous degrees.....WHat if they actually have a job and need to get to work?
What if they are at university working for an actually useful degree and they need to drive to campus?

How did they do it the day before they passed the test? Did they walk or cycle or go by bus?

We have a couple of 19 year old apprentices at work and they are spending about half of their annual pay on car insurance. This is crazy!

Steve.

Last edited:
Smaller engined cars are not always cheaper - ford focuses are relatively cheap to insure

My brother's son recently bought a 1.3 litre Suzuki Carry van. This was the cheapest thing he could find to insure. Next cheapest on the list was a Ford Anglia (younger people need to look this one up!).

Steve.

i have two young lads who are driving one is with admiral and has a 10 month bonus accelerator policy which he now has 3 years ncd on after 30 months
this allows him to run a 2.0 renault clio sport 172 for around 1500 a year
the younger one has just gone with co-op with a black box fitted to keep his premium down as he is an apprentice on a low wage but needs to commute 16 miles a day aand a scooter was getting a little dangerous
his is around 1500-00 with 3 named drivers his mum nan and granddad to bring it down a bit
he is paying 110-00 a month
please watch out for quotes that are low while they have a provisional because as soon as they pass the premiums increase a lot due to the extra risk
quinn usually quote really cheaply but your in for a shock once they pass there tests

Last edited:
How did they do it the day before they passed the test? Did they walk or cycle or go by bus?

We have a couple of 19 year old apprentices at work and they are spending about half of their annual pay on car insurance. This is crazy!

Steve.

I'm sure that's true. But if they lived where I live, and worked where I work, then getting to the office via train would mean getting up in the wee small hours, catching a train to either London Victoria or Dover Priory, then getting another train back to my station of Kemsing. Ridiculous hours and ridiculous money. So car insurance would actually be less.

My brother's son recently bought a 1.3 litre Suzuki Carry van. This was the cheapest thing he could find to insure. Next cheapest on the list was a Ford Anglia (younger people need to look this one up!).

Steve.

My brothers old old car, a pug 205 1.1l, came up with 50% more expensive quotes than my 1.8 focus. How that works I don't know! lol
Polos, astras, golfs with smaller engines were all more expensive to insure than my 1.8 focus. Interesting, had I gone for the 2.0l focus, it would have been another £20 cheaper, oddly.

Don't like this because if you for instance braked harshly or swerved to avoid a collision then it'd be logged as dangerous/agressive driving.

Unlikely if it's a one off event. It will only show up as dangerous or aggressive if it shows up regularly, or more than once for parts of journeys.

i found i cheaper to park it on the road than in the garage and also add at least 2 other drivers like nan,grandad ect ect the older the better. and avoid cars like corsa. fiesta, golf and cars like that

17 year old lad I worked with got a brand new Chevrolet Aveo (I think) - it was cheaper for him to pay monthly instalments on the car and his insurance, than buy an older car and insure it - can only assume the rational is if it is a new car it'll be babied and looked after more.

I moved from a 10+ year old ibiza 1.4 to a brand new ibiza 1.4 and more than doubled my estimated annual mileage - cost was £25 increase for the remaining 6 months of my insurance year, and a £35 admin fee

i have two young lads who are driving one is with admiral and has a 10 month bonus accelerator policy which he now has 3 years ncd on after 30 months
this allows him to run a 2.0 renault clio sport 172 for around 1500 a year
the younger one has just gone with co-op with a black box fitted to keep his premium down as he is an apprentice on a low wage but needs to commute 16 miles a day aand a scooter was getting a little dangerous
his is around 1500-00 with 3 named drivers his mum nan and granddad to bring it down a bit
he is paying 110-00 a month
please watch out for quotes that are low while they have a provisional because as soon as they pass the premiums increase a lot due to the extra risk
quinn usually quote really cheaply but your in for a shock once they pass there tests

careful with bonus accelerators, they often arent accepted as full NCB by other insurers.

17 year old lad I worked with got a brand new Chevrolet Aveo (I think) - it was cheaper for him to pay monthly instalments on the car and his insurance, than buy an older car and insure it - can only assume the rational is if it is a new car it'll be babied and looked after more.

I moved from a 10+ year old ibiza 1.4 to a brand new ibiza 1.4 and more than doubled my estimated annual mileage - cost was £25 increase for the remaining 6 months of my insurance year, and a £35 admin fee

I have read that insurance companies consider any car valued below £2k as a banger and the owner will treat it as such. Cars valued at £2k and above will however will be treated with more care and less likely be involved in accidents.

I agree too many teenagers rush into owning a car. Many are probably not safe as shown by high premiums. Parents often think they are being generous by paying a lot of the cost, but would probably be better letting the youngster wait until they can pay themselves. Bus, walk, cycle etc

Back in 1980, I passed my test when I was 18, around 15 months after starting my apprenticeship, I saved for a car and insurance now and then upto that point, (I was only on around £30 a week take home) my Dad loaned me £75 towards the cost of the car, but the insurance was paid in full. Problem is now premiums are so high, most people are forced to pay it in instalments and end up paying even more in interest.

When I was 15 I saved up my wages from all the different paper rounds I did and bought myself a beaten up old VW camper for £350. I had great fun hanging out in it for the next few years till I realised that I could afford the insurance by a country mile (we're talking thousands of pounds) so in the end I had to sell having never driven it :crying:

Thanks for all the replies.

I agree that there are many young drivers on the road that give cause for concern, however I find most of them seem to be males!
I do think there are even more elderly drivers that should not even be on the road. I often see them park on corners, or well out from the pavement. They often drive in the middle lane of the motorways and often seem to be unsure where they are going. I am sure many would not pass the test if they took it again.

As with all insurance, the companies are in it to make a big profit and I still grudge paying about £300 per year having had a full license for over 30 years without a single claim.

Really? Is there a case where this has happened?

Looking at the details they record driving style. If you consider how many times you accelerate, brake, corner etc on a typical journey you would have to swerve/brake hard a lot before it impacts your overall average.

And if you do brake/swerve a lot then it is fair to say your driving style needs some work anyway.

Thanks for all the replies.

I agree that there are many young drivers on the road that give cause for concern, however I find most of them seem to be males!
I do think there are even more elderly drivers that should not even be on the road. I often see them park on corners, or well out from the pavement. They often drive in the middle lane of the motorways and often seem to be unsure where they are going. I am sure many would not pass the test if they took it again.

Personally I would be about a million times happier to be on the same bit of road as an 81 year old compared to a 21 year old. Older drivers may be slow, cautious and hesitant, but younger drivers tend to be the opposite which is much more dangerous.

I'm in the same boat, my son has just reached 17 and we are thinking about getting him lessons so at least he can get his licence. He doesn't need a car at the moment as his school is walking distance, but as he is looking at going to Uni then a car is is something we might consider getting for him. Dreading the insurance though.

Back