car Nav update

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a Nissan Xtrail Tekna bought new 10 years ago and has a regular Nissan service. The Sat Nav system to keep up to date requires new SD cards which are easy to fit. Buying on line from a reputable company is about £45, or even if dared free update programs. So just today put in the latest 2023 SD card, all it requires is to open the SD card cover and replace, not even go into the system it does it automatically. Nissan to do the same want about £150 to do the same job. I just can't find any excuse Nissan can give for charging £150+ more for the same thing.
Even the handbook states it has to be done by a Nissan dealer. Talk about a ripoff

Last edited:
Some car systems are crazy. Landrover uses a bespoke system that uses a CD/DVD database, and they charge £450 for an update. You can get didgy ones off ebay but I never bothered, I just started to use my portable TomTom when the Disco one became outdated. On my current Mazda, it uses TomTom SD cards, and I subscribe to updates via TomTom and just update the card myself periodically. The dealership don't even offer the facility, but will charge circa £150 for a new SD card - which is annoying since they are evidently tied to Mazda, you can't just use any SD card as a backup. SD cards do fail sometimes, so I'd be annoyed if I couldn't install my own alternative valid TomTom card.

I have a VW and I just download the updates from the VW website
I could have done the same but not from an official Nissan website, they don't do it as far as I i can tell. The risk of doing so could damage the sat nav if getting a dodgy download from a third party. the company I use is "Sat Nav world" who sell for many makes of car

Lindsay
I used to have a Ranger Rover and the CD discs went under the front passanger seat if I remember. Lovely comfortable car BUT the car developed an engine management fault even though still under 3 month used warrante the garage refused to fix it saying it warranty didn't cover electrical faults. the Doors locked and would not unlock many times this happened. Took the car back to the dealer and I had to get a bit nasty after they refused to get it sorted . Told the sevice manage I would drive the car through their showroom window if they didn't fix the fault. they very reluctantly said they would sort it ,but it it still did the same so got rid of it. Landrover after sales service is about the worst I have ever come across in 60 years of motoring and several different makes of car. So now stick to Japanese makes who actually care for their customers

Last edited:
supposedly I can update my Honda CRV with a new disc but current one seems to work fine , I also have a lifetime plug in one and i.phone so don't think I'll get lost

its all stealership stuff isn't it though.

I had my front disks and pads replaced last year on my citroen C3 i rang perrys in Huddersfield just for s***s and giggles, £340 they said, more if they find anything else.
I was never going to take it there just wondered, i bought Brembo disks and pads from carpartsforless for £75 all in and my independent did a realy nice job for £55 so about £130 and that was for Brembo, no wonder dealers are seen as tossers.

Similar story for us too , went to Norfolk in the summer and noticed that our Yaris satnav didn’t recognise the new roads
went to the Toyota dealer they quoted £175 to update our satnav :(
Just can’t see how they justify that especially as it was in anyway for a service

Last edited:
Similar story for us too , went to Norfolk in the summer and noticed that our Yaris satnav didn’t recognise the new roads
went to the Toyota dealer they quoted £175 to update our satnav :(
Just can’t see how they justify that especially as it was in anyway for a service

look on your tube see if there is anything there.

look on your tube see if there is anything there.

thanks yes that’s a good idea , I did wonder about doing it myself but to be honest didn’t want to risk losing the saved locations on the satnav , I have all the places that I have been out with the camera saved on it , although they are also on a garmin portable one
also the trip to Norfolk was the only time that the satnav hasn’t recognised the road although occasionally it misses a roundabout so will just live with it :)

I can download from Ford, the problem with ford it takes 90 minis for a full map update to load in the car, and it must be running, and maps are always around 12 months old.

At this time I have no idea if my 69 plate Ford satnav does automatic updates.......or other methodology......this thread has prompted me to look at the settings :thinking:

Edit PS
I found this site where I can check using the VIN number......yet to dig the VIN out and see what it says.

Last edited:
My car is downloading one now over wifi. Don't even have to do anything.

I had a Nissan before with the SD card maps. Dealer wanted £450 for a new map. Contacted HERE who did them and it was £100! Got the map then it didn't even work anyway. They were also massively out of date so they're arguably a waste of money compared to using Waze.

At this time I have no idea if my 69 plate Ford satnav does automatic updates.......or other methodology......this thread has prompted me to look at the settings :thinking:
If it's a relative recent model you can either download from Ford, or set it to download automatically over wifi direct to the Sync system( just don't be in a hurry for wifi downloads as it can take weeks, just does a bit at a time.)

Since I got my mk4 focus, the whole sync system has had many updates, not just the maps.

Last edited:
If it's a relative recent model you can either download from Ford, or set it to download automatically over wifi direct to the Sync system( just don't be in a hurry for wifi downloads as it can take weeks, just does a bit at a time.)

Since I got my mk4 focus, the whole sync system has had many updates, not just the maps.
Interesting re WiFi, will have look at the settings in the car.......my WiFi signal from the house does reach the drive at reasonable strength.

Edit
As mentioned in my post above #11 I have found the website about updates.

Re: WiFi in the car, I surmise I could Hotspot the phone but none too sure how much data that would eat?

Last edited:
I've gone back to using maps. As an OAP, it passes the time when I get lost and you get to meet lots of folks when you ask the way and find lots of new places!

One warning I'd give about all navigation software: after any update, take the car out for a test run to somewhere obscure, that you know well.

My Hyundai update, a few years ago, went in OK but when I took the car on a long journey, the thing took me miles out of my way into odd places. Back at the dealership, the lady on the booking desk knew exactly what had gone wrong. They'd received a batch of disks for a similar but different navigator that had been incorrectly packaged. They took the car in straight away, reset everything and filled my fuel tank to make up for the petrol I'd wasted.

There's a reason I like Hyundai. (y)

Last edited:
One warning I'd give about all navigation software: after any update, take the car out for a test run to somewhere obscure, that you know well.

My Hyundai update, a few years ago, went in OK but when I took the car on a long journey, the thing took me miles out of my way into odd places. Back at the dealership, the lady on the booking desk knew exactly what had gone wrong. They'd received a batch of disks for a similar but different navigator that had been incorrectly packaged. They took the car in straight away, reset everything and filled my fuel tank to make up for the petrol I'd wasted.

There's a reason I like Hyundai
Sounds like an attentive dealership/marque, though no sign of being pro-active in pulling the product and calling the buyers to check & correct the problem.

There could be many Hyundai owners driving around without fully realising they have a (fuel wasting) problem!

A related question:

My car does not have a built in satnav so I use a Garmin one which has lifetime maps - updated using my PC.
I can also sit indoors with the satnav and plan a route in comfort. Using the Garmin Basecamp free software I can easily plan a complicated route using the software and then upload it to the satnav.
With a built in satnav do you have to sit in the car to plan a route and is that a pain?

for those who want to update their SD sat Nav card I used these " https://www.satnavworld.com ". They cover many types/makes of cars. I can recommend them from my experience of recent purchase

Last edited:
Some car systems are crazy. Landrover uses a bespoke system that uses a CD/DVD database, and they charge £450 for an update. You can get didgy ones off ebay but I never bothered, I just started to use my portable TomTom when the Disco one became outdated. On my current Mazda, it uses TomTom SD cards, and I subscribe to updates via TomTom and just update the card myself periodically. The dealership don't even offer the facility, but will charge circa £150 for a new SD card - which is annoying since they are evidently tied to Mazda, you can't just use any SD card as a backup. SD cards do fail sometimes, so I'd be annoyed if I couldn't install my own alternative valid TomTom card.
I did the similar with my Evoque when I found out how expensive it was to update the nav system. I started using the loose TomTom I had instead and quickly found it to be far more user-friendly than the factory-mounted one LR unit. I now use the TomTom app on my iPhone (on a dashboard mount) as it is every bit as good as the TomTom unit I used.

A related question:

My car does not have a built in satnav so I use a Garmin one which has lifetime maps - updated using my PC.
I can also sit indoors with the satnav and plan a route in comfort. Using the Garmin Basecamp free software I can easily plan a complicated route using the software and then upload it to the satnav.
With a built in satnav do you have to sit in the car to plan a route and is that a pain?
My Ford system allows for one waypoint which is ok for my journeys these days.

However, when I was still working and my company cars did not, at that time, have satnavs built-in I had Fujitsu Loox PDA and I bought Co Pilot navigation software and it accepted 6 locations and had a function to reorder them in 'first to last' ideal routing. This was good for both city customers visits and more spread out ones across country. IIRC in make the 1st & last ones as fixed and the reordering would honour those.

I was a bit surprised when I found that car onboard satnavs did not do the same!

There could be many Hyundai owners driving around without fully realising they have a (fuel wasting) problem!
True enough.

On the other hand, both the Hyundai dealers I've dealt with up to now, have been very good at fixing the very few, minor problems I've had with two cars over 16 years.

I was wondering is the SD cards in the built in car sat NAVs ever wear out? I nopticed recently that the one we replaced started cutting out the map screen and had to restart. This has not happened yet as far as I am aware with the new card with the updates on it.

Just use your mobile phone!

I use mine. No issues. Works fine. Free updates.

I do use my iPhone sometimes if my wife is driving and we are going somewhere new and only have a general area postcode
what I like about the in car and also portable Garmin satnav is that I can save the location and easily access the list of locations later when we want to go back to the same place maybe sometime in the future

yes our car sat nav stores thepost code visited as well. Remember if your car gets stolen while on holiday make sure your home post code and address is not on it

Last edited:
yes our car sat nav stores the post code visited as well. Remember if your car gets stolen wile on holiday make sure your home post code and address is not on it
Yes, I read that advice some time ago and I use a road about 1.5 miles from our address.

Google maps will store your previous navigations if you allow it (and likely stores it anyway, but less readily searchable if you don't).

Having the ability to connect a phone to the screen & speakers inside that car makes navigation easier than phone alone.

Google maps will store your previous navigations if you allow it (and likely stores it anyway, but less readily searchable if you don't).

Having the ability to connect a phone to the screen & speakers inside that car makes navigation easier than phone alone.

works great if you use google chrome in the home and log that in to the same account as maps on the phone you can just share locations across devices.

I do use my iPhone sometimes if my wife is driving and we are going somewhere new and only have a general area postcode
what I like about the in car and also portable Garmin satnav is that I can save the location and easily access the list of locations later when we want to go back to the same place maybe sometime in the future
The TomTom app on my iPhone has a favourites list and also automatically stores the 20 most recent destinations used.

google maps is the best on a phone as it does real time traffic information and reroutes you to avoid stuff, saved me quite a few times

A related question:

basecamp is the devils work, myroute app much much better, save as a gpx and upload to the garmin

google maps is the best on a phone as it does real time traffic information and reroutes you to avoid stuff, saved me quite a few times
this might sound weird but i sometimes run 2 sat navs when im on the bike, your right about google maps being good for traffic but it can only manage 10 waypoints, some days my routes have 40 or 50 waypoints to go down places exactly were i want to go, so i use a bike specific gamin satnav and use myroute app to plot routes, but if im expecting congestion or i come across any i will use my phone to get me round it without losing the original route or il watch it to see if any roads turn red( more so IF on the odd occasion i use motorways when im on the bike.)

this might sound weird but i sometimes run 2 sat navs when im on the bike, your right about google maps being good for traffic but it can only manage 10 waypoints, some days my routes have 40 or 50 waypoints to go down places exactly were i want to go, so i use a bike specific gamin satnav and use myroute app to plot routes, but if im expecting congestion or i come across any i will use my phone to get me round it without losing the original route or il watch it to see if any roads turn red( more so IF on the odd occasion i use motorways when im on the bike.)

once ignored google maps it was an evening drive to a hotel for a next day early start.
as i pulled away from the house it suddenly swerved me from the m1 to the m62 to go across to stoke
probaly about 15 extra miles, cost me an extra 4 hours in the m1 tailbacks due to some tool wanting to jump off a bridge

My 2011 Saab has the same system as older Land/Range Rovers and Toyota/Lexus and discs are apparently interchangeable. Alas my car software in 2010 generation but some enterprising Swede does offer upgrades (unofficially). Other issue with my system it doesn't do the full postcode, and my mother's house was built in 2021, so according to my NG9-5 we are parked in a field....

Our Golf has an inbuilt navigation system but it also has CarPlay - so we use Waze for navigation....

My 2011 Saab has the same system as older Land/Range Rovers and Toyota/Lexus and discs are apparently interchangeable. Alas my car software in 2010 generation but some enterprising Swede does offer upgrades (unofficially). Other issue with my system it doesn't do the full postcode, and my mother's house was built in 2021, so according to my NG9-5 we are parked in a field....

Our Golf has an inbuilt navigation system but it also has CarPlay - so we use Waze for navigation....

Interesting that VW does upgrades - I will investigate further.

I use, and like, WAZE. Quicker to update than Google Maps

Tells you when there's a car on the hard shoulder coming up, any rta's and also when there are police cars in the area.

No glitches so far with the new SD card installed. the satnav screen no longer cuts out and reboots.

I use, and like, WAZE. Quicker to update than Google Maps

Tells you when there's a car on the hard shoulder coming up, any rta's and also when there are police cars in the area.

Is Waze based on Google Maps?

Google owns both mapping apps as they acquired Waze in 2013 but kept it as a separate app with separate developers that focused on different features. While both apps provide the same basic functionality and utility, significant differences may appeal to you based on how you use a mapping app

Back