Car noise?

DorsetDude

Spud
Name
Keith
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi at very low speed (<10mph) and particularly if turning right I have a screechy eee-eee-eee-eee from what sounds like the front wheel area. I'll ring me garage and get it booked in but anyone know what it might be? Wheel bearing?

Thanks

Is this on full right hand lock and does the screeching 'go away' as you straighten the steering but it is turning to the right (but not as tight a turn)? Any other noise such as clonking if you go over bumps?

If the above and front wheel drive plus not doing it on the left hand turn I would suspect a worn CVJ (constant velocity joint)...........................granted it has been years since I heard a wheel bearing that had gone but it "complained" just moving let alone turning!

PS CVJ have gaiters protecting them from muck, dust ingress...........when the gaiter splits the sh*ite gets in and starts to damage the joint!

Hi its not on full lock no i.e I only had to turn the wheel a bit for it to start. I heard it coming down the onsite track at 10 going straight then, when I turned gently into a corner it started up again intermittently. CVJ sounds possible. Hopefully not too expensive. Thanks

Mrs F had something similar a couple of months ago, turned out to be a plastic bag!

It's not the surface that causing the noise is it? You know like when on a slippery surface and the tyres make a screeching/skipping sound?

Had a bearing go on the Mondeo last year.
Much more of a rhythmic grinding than a squeal.

CVJ sounds possible. Hopefully not too expensive. Thanks
CVJ tend to make a knocking noise not a screeching noise. But having said that if the tracking is out it can cause the CVJ to make a noise so may be worth getting the tracking checked before having the CVJ replaced. To eliminate wheel bearings, jack up the front of the car, hold the wheel at top and bottom and try rocking the wheel back and forth, rotate the wheel 90° and holding top and bottom try rocking again. Repeat on other front wheel. There shouldn't be any movement, if there is the bearing is worn.

Also worth checking power steering fluid level.

Possible wishbone ,quite common these days with potholes

Dropped into the garage on way home to see if I could get it booked in. Mechanic came out for a quick look/listen, thought after he heard it, it was the metal disc plate hitting the brake discs, got a bar out and bent it away from the discs. Still screeeching. He now reckons theres a stone trrapped in there rubbing the disc. Booked in for the 8th October. Im happy taking a wheel off but not so sure on taking a disc off and refitting so I'll wait til then I think rather than attempt a look DIY.

Cheers all.

Last edited:
If there had a stone trapped in it should score the disc, can you see or feel anything with the wheel off? I had a similar issue a few months ago when a small screw in the caliper worked loose and the head just started touching the disc. It's really simple to take a caliper off, just tie it up around the shock. The only minor issue could be the disc retaining screws can be difficult and an impact driver is needed.

Last edited:
If there had a stone trapped in it should score the disc, can you see or feel anything with the wheel off? I had a similar issue a few months ago when a small screw in the caliper worked loose and the head just started touching the disc. It's really simple to take a caliper off, just the it up around the shock. The only minor issue could be the disc retaining screws can be difficult and an impact driver is needed.
I tried DIY ing my brakes once before in the '80s. Ended up with my car on its roof on the verge. :oops: :$ Alfa romeo sprint veloce, what a bag of knackers that was.

Back