Car parking at Richmond Park?

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
No
Hi guys. I fancy driving to Richmond Park to photograph deer and whatever else is there. I'll be driving from north london, so just under an hours journey. Where's the best or closest place to the deer that I can park for free?

Apparently there's a car park in a place called Broomfield Hill and one in a place called Pens Pond, and no doubt others. Monrhs ago on some other forum I was advised to get there about an hour before sunrise to get the best photos. And that the gates will be closed at that time which would be 4.30am and to park outside the gates and walk in. So is it actually ok to park outside the gates and not come back to a parking ticket?

Alternatively, if I don't get there super early but I turn up at one of the free car parks midweek say after 9am, is it easy to get a space?

Last edited:
Bushy park is smaller hence a smaller distance to cover to find them. Bushy park as far as I know only has one car park now and finding a space can be hard especially on weekends.

As for Richmond Park I first suggest you familiarise yourself with the new car driving route regulations within the park because you can't simply drive anywhere and everywhere now:

I personally use either Broomfield hill or Penn Pond car park mostly. I feel they are best placed for doing a bunch of things and Penn Pond is really the best as its more central to the park.
But whichever car park you choose make sure you approach from the appropriate gate as per map linked above.

I have no idea about parking outside the gates early in the morning. For sunrise I normally just go during autumn/winter months when I can drive in for sunrise.
But its information you can probably look up on Richmond council's website in combination with street view on google maps (and may be parkopedia) to work out.

Going mid week instead of weekend definitely increases your chances for getting a parking space. But I have gone during peak times on a sunny weekend in the past and still got.a parking space even at Penn Pond which is generally the busiest I think. So 9am on a weekday should be fine. But of course in case you get really unlucky just be ready to park somewhere else and walk. you will lose time but you will get a parking space.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, excellent information. And thanks nandbytes for your advice and the pdf file. I shall do some homework on it and from what you say, it looks like Penn Pond is the one to go to. (y)

Bushy Park has 2 car parks, the largest one is adjacent to the Diana Fountain and the other is at the entrance to the Pheasantry Plantation.
The latter is smaller but has the advantage of having toilet facilities and a large cafe as well as a smaller kiosk.
The one by the Diana Fountain is much larger and also has an overflow car park for when things get really busy.
I think that the earliest time that vehicles can get access to the park is 0630 during the summer. If you want to get there earlier then you can park in the Clapperstile car park in Teddington which is outside the park and you can walk into the park at the Coleshill Road pedestrian gate. You can also park in Hampton or Hampton Hill and walk into the park but parking there is fairly restricted.
It's worth noting that during covid restrictions you have to decide which car park you want and use the gate nearest as there is no through traffic allowed at the moment.

Last edited:
Bushy Park has 2 car parks, the largest one is adjacent to the Diana Fountain and the other is at the entrance to the Pheasantry Plantation.
The latter is smaller but has the advantage of having toilet facilities and a large cafe as well as a smaller kiosk.
The one by the Diana Fountain is much larger and also has an overflow car park for when things get really busy.
I think that the earliest time that vehicles can get access to the park is 0630 during the summer. If you want to get there earlier then you can park in the Clapperstile car park in Teddington which is outside the park and you can walk into the park at the Coleshill Road pedestrian gate. You can also park in Hampton or Hampton Hill and walk into the park but parking there is fairly restricted.
It's worth noting that during covid restrictions you have to decide which car park you want and use the gate nearest as there is no through traffic allowed at the moment.

is the Pheasantry Plantation one still open?

Thanks Laurence. I think I'm going to try Bushy Park first. I've looked on google street view and have seen the Clappergate car park. I'll aim to get there pretty early, like about 5.30 am to get a space.

Royal parks page says "Alternatively you can use Clapperstile car park - accessible from Queens Road, Teddington - and then enter Bushy Park on foot via Clapperstile Gate."

That looks about a 24 minute walk which I'm ok with. But Coleshill road gate seems to be much closer, about 10 minutes walk so I'll go on your recommendation. Looking at photos there seems to be enough deer there to photograph.

Also, apologies, I should have made this thread in the talk locations forum.

Last edited:
no one closest to the Diana Fountain or just off it.

The pheasantry is still open, but with the road closures in the park you can't drive to it from the Diana Fountain.

OP - Richmond Park has lots of parking from when the gates open at 7 am. All the car parks except Sheen Gate can be accessed from the park perimeter road. Sheen gate is possibly the worst location for deer. Head into the middle of the park from any car park and you'll find deer. At the moment they're still in herds but this will change over the next three weeks as the hinds hide to give birth

All the up to date insights re: access and parking has made me nostalgic about Richmond Park.

As a child we lived nearby'ish and it was my playground, as well as for my A level biology project my laboratory (with official park permission).

I walked and cycled all over and used Roehampton Gate. Fast forward......perhaps possible to park in Danebury Avenue and walk through the pedestrian access at that gate? Though that will, as far as I recall, mean a 20 to 30 mins walk to Penn Ponds!

Last edited:
The pheasantry is still open, but with the road closures in the park you can't drive to it from the Diana Fountain.

OP - Richmond Park has lots of parking from when the gates open at 7 am. All the car parks except Sheen Gate can be accessed from the park perimeter road. Sheen gate is possibly the worst location for deer. Head into the middle of the park from any car park and you'll find deer. At the moment they're still in herds but this will change over the next three weeks as the hinds hide to give birth

Thanks Hugh. Ok I'll avoid Sheen Gate. I was actually going to go to Sheen Gate as that seemed the closest to deer locations cited in this article I was reading.

He says

"Generally speaking deer can be found anywhere in the park. However, there are some areas where you are more likely to see them in significant numbers. The Flying Field, the Sports Pitches and the areas around the Duchess Wood are particular popular with deer in the morning during the Spring and Summer months as this is where the sun rises. You can also find deer near the Lawn Field, the Tercentenary Plantation and also between Spankers Hill Wood and White Lodge."

But I'll follow your advice and just head for the middle of the park.

I live relatively close and go there regularly. Avoid weekends if you can, don’t bother parking outside the gates and once inside any parking will do as the deer are free to travel and pop up everywhere.

On a side note it is birthing season now so avoid getting too close.

Back