Car photography tips?

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Just got my first commission, so to speak =D Someone who I've technically probably known since the day I was born (same hospital, day, and ward!) would like me to take photos of his Mini Cooper for £40 along with a couple of upto A4 prints. Some might say it's underselling myself, but I'm not fussed as it's the amount of money I need and it's a good starter I think!

Anyway, what tips do you have for me? For starters I figure I need a polariser to reduce the reflections in the car, but other than that... :shrug: I think we've came up with a good location together which has a nice unused, for the most part, car park. My kit is as follows:

D90
18-55mm VR
28-80mm G
50mm AF-D
70-300mm VR
SB800
SB600
a few tripods.

I gather I'll only really need my kit lens really, along with maybe some fancy lighting with the flashguns, amirite?

I posted somethin you need then read that its in your post :p lol

Last edited:
Oh would that be the polariser? How long we had a talk speciality forum anyway? Not long looking at the number of threads! XD

yeah, it was a poloriser. Cant think of anything else.

you don't need flashes and I'd probably use more than one lens depending on the perspective and DOF you require.

1/ make sure windows are up

2/ remove tax disc and any other windscreen or window sticker

3/ don't show tyre tread on a 3/4 shot turn the wheel slightly to show the wheel

4/ make sure you don't get anything distracting in the back ground like bushes or a lampost growing out the roof.

5/ balance background with car for good exposure and composition.

6/ CP is handy for unwanted reflections but it won't remove all of them.

7/ don't shoot at night or when the sun is fully bright

I believe location's probably the most important factor. Photos of a car often seem to look the same. I've taken pictures of my various cars & TBH none have looked very special. Against a good backdrop they look a lot better. Outside the house or just on the road they look more like a for sale ad! Although it may not be what they want the owner in the pic ads some interest. I've a pic of my Dad as a young man with his Ford Pop - a lot more interesting that his pride & joy on its own now.

I too am in the same situation, although not getting any money for it. A friend has asked me to photograph his freshly detailed S2000, I also have a D90, although think I will mostly use the 50mm F/1.8 lens.. I was going to shoot as dusk time and was also wondering how I would go about lighting the car with a single SB-800, I have a shoot through brollie and 60cm Softbox..

Sorry for hi-jacking your thread..

I too am in the same situation, although not getting any money for it. A friend has asked me to photograph his freshly detailed S2000, I also have a D90, although think I will mostly use the 50mm F/1.8 lens.. I was going to shoot as dusk time and was also wondering how I would go about lighting the car with a single SB-800, I have a shoot through brollie and 60cm Softbox..

Sorry for hi-jacking your thread..

Ha, you're not hijacking at all, as it's the same topic :) I don't have any light stands or umbrellas for my flashguns, they're my next purchases I think! I'll definitely use my 50mm f1.8 I expect, especially for any interior shots (y)

Remember the 50mm can be quiet shallow so use a fairly high F/stop I'd guess.

Hi

Make sure you clean the car beforehand and then when you get to the location wipe it down again. Saves hours removing dust in Photoshop. Don't superclean or dress the tyres too much or they'll look odd.

I'd try to use 80mm plus on your lens to compress the perspective. Unless they are for 'effect' I tend to think wide angle shots don't show the car off at all well and often you end up with the headlamps or otherwise dominating the shot. Be creative with composition, don't just plonk the car in the middle of the frame ... as someone else said location is key followed by composition to help create the interest. Try a smaller aperture (larger number) to make sure the whole car is in focus unless using shallow dog for effect.

I'd stay away from flash and just go when the light is right. If you are adept at photoshop then you can take the same shot with the polariser in different positions to cut out reflections in the side glass on one shot, front glass on another, body side reflections on another etc and merge later to help get a good shot with controlled reflections.

Choose your view of the location first then park your car to suit the image. Wallow talkies are useful to get the driver to position the car whilst you look through the camera - easier to hear over engine noise.

Good luck :)

mark.

The biggest question is.. What sort of car portrait does he want? What has he seen that he likes the style of?

There's a couple of suggestions to avoid flash already been given.. but this car shot makes very creative use of just three flash guns.. and could be done with fewer.

No flash for a car shoot really??? Every pro car shoot for advertising uses flash!
You can shoot with just 1 strobe a shoot through hand held defuser / reflector and a friend to hold them where you want them if you ain't got stands keep your camera in a fixed position and move the flashed around to highlight areas of the car then blend the layers in Photoshop.
Here's one I made earlier....http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=228864

No flash for a car shoot really??? Every pro car shoot for advertising uses flash!

or a studio with huge lighting setups.

The 3 flash setup, move and shoot pic is brilliant. You can also do similar with a fluorescent tube masked off with tape
123911848.jpg

thats an ugly photo lol

The biggest question is.. What sort of car portrait does he want? What has he seen that he likes the style of?

There's a couple of suggestions to avoid flash already been given.. but this car shot makes very creative use of just three flash guns.. and could be done with fewer.

well, I went and took some pics last night. turned out ok, but will try again in the near future. I think I need to use the softbox next time to feather the light a bit better.. I had a quick edit last night, need to go through them in more detail though..

S20001.jpg

S20002.jpg

S20003.jpg

S20004.jpg

Are they any use?

No flash for a car shoot really??? [/URL]

Yup really! When someone posts asking for tips it suggests they hadn't done this sort of thing before and I believe in keeping things simple - shooting cars is hard enough without using artificial light sources.

Every pro car shoot for advertising uses flash! [/URL]

Really ??? ;) Not all the time....!

Anyway, to the Honda S2000 shots.

Good attempt, but get the feeling you're not that happy with them?

I like the angles and the idea, but for me the background is far too distracting and fights the car. I think you need to find another backdrop or at the least, move the car further away from the fence and either knock it out of focus, or get the light on the car only. You can see in the third shot how even though the shot is too dark, the background isn't so obvious. Also you need to pay attention to what is being reflected in the body side as that third shot shows. The bright light being reflected is also distracting.

The last shot unfortunately doesn't show anything of the car other than the wheels and the eye is drawn to the busy background.

I really would forget the flash, and concentrate on a better location, visit it at several times during the day to work out where the light falls and how you can use it to describe the car better.

Give it another go and have more fun :) It'll be worth it as its a great car.

Mark.

I can't see the pics you've taken due to a silly webfilter, I'll have a look tonight and try to advise you on how to improve them, if needed.

Really? That's utter tosh and very misleading.

Shot 1 and 2 look a little cool? Like the white balance was set to flash?

I don't think the location helps, with the post coming straight up behind the car.
On the second shot, it has possibilities maybe if the car was slightly further away from the fence, so you didn't get the reflection on the bonnet, and parked to the left against just the fence?

But on shot 2 the light is defining the lines along the side, the roofline and wing. It just needed a little fill light to add some further detail. The balence of the wheels to the reflections is about right.

Shot 3 is too dark on the car and you've just got the numberplate lit, so you eye is drawn to that, then you work out a car is attached.

Shot 4 is interesting, with some detail in the sky, not sure about the extended arms but again there's detail missing in the car.

Black cars are quite difficult to light at times. You have to light the lines/edges to create the definition. I think I've hundreds of similar shots whilst I work things out.

So a good start, take the shots, work out what's wrong and what you don't like and what worked well and keep trying.

in a word no

black car at night for an unexperience tog is not wise thing to do. you've also got pretty horrid back ground too.

if you can practice on a different coloured car - black cars suck :(

well, I went and took some pics last night. turned out ok, but will try again in the near future. I think I need to use the softbox next time to feather the light a bit better.. I had a quick edit last night, need to go through them in more detail though..

S20001.jpg

S20002.jpg

S20003.jpg

S20004.jpg

Are they any use?

I like the angles and the idea, but for me the background is far too distracting and fights the car. I think you need to find another backdrop or at the least, move the car further away from the fence and either knock it out of focus, or get the light on the car only. You can see in the third shot how even though the shot is too dark, the background isn't so obvious. Also you need to pay attention to what is being reflected in the body side as that third shot shows. The bright light being reflected is also distracting.

The last shot unfortunately doesn't show anything of the car other than the wheels and the eye is drawn to the busy background.

I really would forget the flash, and concentrate on a better location, visit it at several times during the day to work out where the light falls and how you can use it to describe the car better.

Mark.

I like No. 2 and No. 3, the first one is just a standard car shot. We left it too late, it was about 8.30 when we arrived and getting quite dark. No. 3 is 3 shots combined quickly in photoshop.. I think even a good daytime shoot in shade playing with DOF etc. I agree with the background etc, maybe shooting at f/9 didn't help..

Oh yeah, I know i can see my legs in No. 3... must look more next time. the car is great, he gave me a good drive in it and it goes like stink..

I now have 3 speedlights and would like to try using them to shoot the car, only had them few days so not been out and tried anything yet.

Regarding the Polariser here is a great example with my VXR...

Polarised

4875308279_8df2f527c1.jpg

Not Polarised

4875914574_1b96a66626.jpg

When using the polariser here the front gets done but the side doesnt, if you then turn it further and get the side polarised then the front is isnt. The first image i actually polarised the front then took the shot again doing the side then carefully blended them together.

Mike

yes a CP only works over a certain angle so what you did is what pretty much every other automotive tog does lol

if you were not next to the wall you'd get more effect on the windscreen.

When using the polariser here the front gets done but the side doesnt, if you then turn it further and get the side polarised then the front is isnt. The first image i actually polarised the front then took the shot again doing the side then carefully blended them together.

Mike

yes a CP only works over a certain angle so what you did is what pretty much every other automotive tog does lol

if you were not next to the wall you'd get more effect on the windscreen.

Yeah i totally understand this, this was more to show anyone who hadnt used one the effects and to explain before they run out and buy one then think its broken, it's not!

CP works 90 deg to the sun so any surface at 90 deg angles to each other can only have one bit polarised (y)

I like No. 2 and No. 3, the first one is just a standard car shot. We left it too late, it was about 8.30 when we arrived and getting quite dark. No. 3 is 3 shots combined quickly in photoshop.. I think even a good daytime shoot in shade playing with DOF etc. I agree with the background etc, maybe shooting at f/9 didn't help..

Oh yeah, I know i can see my legs in No. 3... must look more next time. the car is great, he gave me a good drive in it and it goes like stink..

Not bad, better than my first attempts! And at least we know the car was spanking clean ;) I noticed your thread over on DW. If you shot in raw, just change the WB and the first 2 will be much nicer :) I always have to change it cos I always get it wrong :LOL:

Not bad, better than my first attempts! And at least we know the car was spanking clean ;) I noticed your thread over on DW. If you shot in raw, just change the WB and the first 2 will be much nicer :) I always have to change it cos I always get it wrong :LOL:

I have been trying to get the NEF files to open in CS2, but the camera raw doesn't support my D90, I have just converted them to DNG so will try and edit some later..

Here are some previous pics I took of my S6, I think mostly with the 50mm playing with DOF etc on the seats..

Click Here

I can't see the pics you've taken due to a silly webfilter, I'll have a look tonight and try to advise you on how to improve them, if needed.

Really? That's utter tosh and very misleading.

dean id welcome some links to these none flash comercial manufacturer car photographs you speak of since you believe my comment to be "utter tosh and very misleading"

im happy to eat humble pie on this if you can prove me wrong or at least change my point to being 99.9% of commercial car photographs.
spoon bowl and cream ready and waiting :LOL:
ps yes iv reviewed your site and am very impressed but your best work is still using artificial light and PS IMHO!
pps nice use of the term utter tosh.

Last edited:
Yup really! When someone posts asking for tips it suggests they hadn't done this sort of thing before and I believe in keeping things simple - shooting cars is hard enough without using artificial light sources.

Really ??? ;) Not all the time....!

Mark.

Solid advice from mark here but i beg to differ on the flash front the OP shows the equipment they have which includes 2x flashes and a camera that controls them. use a flash and the lights the same on every single shot because your controlling its power and direction then take a picture of your car every minute for 5 minutes in natural light and see every photo come out different... thus experienced natural light photographers (you included) wait for good light.... it aint there all the time unlike a flash head or strobe.
I don't profess to be the font of knowledge on this and if you review deans site he has some cracking images of cars that id be more than happy with, in line with the original post though id say yes you have all the equipment you need to produce stunning images with some practice.
My personal preference would be to use flash due to contol of lighting and a lack of patience for good light... and as wonderful as deans images are the best ones imo are lit artificially to emphasise the car curves and shapes etc.
cheers Andy

Last edited:
dean id welcome some links to these none flash comercial manufacturer car photographs you speak of since you believe my comment to be "utter tosh and very misleading"

im happy to eat humble pie on this if you can prove me wrong or at least change my point to being 99.9% of commercial car photographs.
spoon bowl and cream ready and waiting :LOL:
ps yes iv reviewed your site and am very impressed but your best work is still using artificial light and PS IMHO!
pps nice use of the term utter tosh.

Nigel Harniman, Easton Chang, Stefan Romer....the list is very long. All of these photographers have produced advertising material without any other light sources than the sun, as have I for TVR, Nissan & Alfa.

I agree that some of the better work is with external lighting as it makes the image more dynamic but I think for this excercise, the OP is better off without it, although it all depends on what the final image is that he's after. Personally, I much prefer photos without photoshop work, admittedly there are few on my portfolio at present but I have a large update of 'straight out of camera' photos to show which I'm super pleased with.

Use of 'utter tosh', I didn't want to sound harsh and ****y so thought I'd use something rather english :)

Last edited:
The thing is it really depends on what the setting is as to whether you'd use flash or not. There's some clever things you can do with light in a darkened location, or location and natural light.

You really need to think about what you want to do. Different cars/colours suit different locations, different lighting gives cars different looks

Nigel Harniman, Easton Chang, Stefan Romer....the list is very long. All of these photographers have produced advertising material without any other light sources than the sun, as have I for TVR, Nissan & Alfa.

I agree that some of the better work is with external lighting as it makes the image more dynamic but I think for this excercise, the OP is better off without it, although it all depends on what the final image is that he's after. Personally, I much prefer photos without photoshop work, admittedly there are few on my portfolio at present but I have a large update of 'straight out of camera' photos to show which I'm super pleased with.

Use of 'utter tosh', I didn't want to sound harsh and ****y so thought I'd use something rather english :)

I think my humble pie has hair in it waiter.... Dean i think your advice is solid and your experience in shooting cars is far superior to my own... note to OP listen to Dean he is the knowledge font on this!
Humble pie eaten Dean, wanna teach me? have camera will travel?

Thanks for all the tips people :) I've had a quick scan of all of it, I'll give it a proper read closer to the time. Definitely need to order me a polariser!

I went out tonight and took some pics of my car as it was clean. here they are, all taken with the D90 and 50mm f/1.8 I mostly used it a f/5.6 as it seemed sharpest.. I took them at about 6.30pm, I always try to do some 3/4 front with the wheel turned towards the camera, and a straight side too..

Audi-1.jpg

Audi-2.jpg

Audi-3.jpg

Audi-4.jpg

Audi-5.jpg

Audi-7.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry but I don't like these, mostly because of the backgrounds.

#1 looks strange with a half silver door, half brick background and is taken high, or at eye height. It might look better if the car was parked further along and taken a little lower. You've some half reflections from the roofline?

The face on one (#4) has possibilities, but again I'd have got lower and cropped so the wall wasn't visible. This one could be a great moody shot at night with some additional lighting.

Sorry but the last two just looks like you've taken pics of someones bad parking.
#5 would be a good advert shot for the car, but with the angle you've shot at the front wheel turned looks a little strange.

Hope this helps. It has prompted me to get out and shoot more of mine sometime.

I know this thread seems to lean in the direction of taking pictures of static cars, but I have a question about moving cars (track / drift ' general street driving). Is it better to have a fast shutter so you can capture the wheels or to have it slightly slower so the wheels blur slightly so you get the impression of movement? I have got a load of pics from Fast Ford @ Crail and although the pictures have turned out good, there is not sense of movement as the shutter was very fast. It looks more odd on the cars that have smoking tyres.

I know this thread seems to lean in the direction of taking pictures of static cars, but I have a question about moving cars (track / drift ' general street driving). Is it better to have a fast shutter so you can capture the wheels or to have it slightly slower so the wheels blur slightly so you get the impression of movement? I have got a load of pics from Fast Ford @ Crail and although the pictures have turned out good, there is not sense of movement as the shutter was very fast. It looks more odd on the cars that have smoking tyres.

You've managed to ask a question and answer it in 1 post :D

Use a slower shutter speed for panning shots (y)

clean car
polished car
clean road surface
no nonsense background if possible..if not a stately home

turn front wheels at an angle...sort of macho speedo motif
low angles on quarters

try some shots with car wetted...after you do the dry ones

dont need tits and bums on it

Back