Car photography

Right, I had a play today with the Flash on the camera. It was an overcast day. I tried altering the exposure but made no difference to the norm (being darker and lighter) The flash didnt even seem to be there :(

Back to the drawing board lol

Right, I had a play today with the Flash on the camera. It was an overcast day. I tried altering the exposure but made no difference to the norm (being darker and lighter) The flash didnt even seem to be there :(

Can you post one of your pics?

How do you deal with the banding as a result of the sensor only being partly exposed once you exceed x-sync speed?

He uses a D70 which has an electronic shutter above the x-sync speed. It works something along the lines of the shutter stays open but the sensor is switched on then off for the duration of the exposure. Hence no shutter across the frames. Search strobist for D70 as he's written about it.

Were you shooting in manual with the flash in manual or were you letting the camera/flash decide any part of the exposure?

in AV, TV and P the flash is there just to fill in. if you set it to manual or auto the flash will light the subject. adjusting the FEC when you are in AV or TV will adjust the flash output and make it brighter or darker compared to 0

It's not the price as such but the guide number which will affect the power output. What exactly where you trying to achieve with this photo and what don't you like in terms of the lighting.

You might be expecting too much of your kit or you may just be using it wrongly.

The problems of shooting a dark subject in a dark place. You need contrast. You cant shoot a bride in dress against a white wall so dont expect a black car in a dark garage to work well also.

Regarding the 'strobe' reference Poah, the strobist site is American and we know how fond the yanks are of changing the English language to suit their own means.....

I suppose that the OP's question all relates to exactly how faithfully he wants to emulate the 'togger who did the car shoot. Instead of spending hundreds on high-end gear I'd test the water with a cheap wireless kit (like those gadget infinity ones) and a couple of cheap flashes off ebay. See if you like it and then go on from there...

Back