Car Rig Photography - Any market for in UK?

Name
Tyron
Edit My Images
No
Hey, we have recently moved from New Zealand to Newquay, Cornwall and have taken our personally designed car rig with us and hoping to try this out on a few cars in the UK.

New Zealanders are crazy big into their classic cars and V8's and we managed to score a few beauties before coming back to the UK. Here are some of the results. We did quite a few jobs with the car clubs in NZ and hoping to get going again on some in the UK. We kept the pricing low and would generally do a 1-2 hour photo shoot for each car owner and provide a DVD with high resolution post processed images. Do you think there is a market for this type of photography throughout the UK?

rt_charger_by_Savvie_Photography.jpg

ford_mustang_gt_by_Savvie_Photography.jpg

nissan_skyline_by_Savvie_Photography.jpg

Tyron, your first biggy is RTTS 2010 google it, allways brings a huge custom croiwd to Nq
(work is cracking by the way )

Awesome images.

Would you be advertising to car owners or magazines? There are quite a few big car forums, they could be a good way to advertise...

Impressive results that suit the vehicles.

As to whether there's a market, yes. Will you make money, possibly, if you're able to spend 10x as long marketing yourself as you do shooting. The market is saturated with digital camera owners (note, not *photographers*) who're willing to provide for free average shots that've been PP'd to within an inch of their lives on the basis of developing a portfolio. Rig shots are a niche so in that sense you're ahead of the amateurs but you're going to have to create a storm to get noticed and stay ahead. Approaching car clubs gets you a much greater market than individual owners but you're geographically disadvantaged to access much of the market that exists; you're going to have to travel which will affect your overheads. Beyond what you've identified I'd be looking to submit a selection of images to magazines and save them having to send their freelance (or occasionally staff) togs to your neck of the woods for feature cars.

Nice shots, and lovely cars!

I know a few car photographers who freelance for magazines etc also, and they sometimes do the car rig shots. Although the impression i get is that theyre not quite as common as they were a few years back, great shots all the same!

I think what puts some photographers off is actually having the rigs made up and the PP required on taking them out of the shots

good luck though! :)

I would guess that there is a market for it, but you will have some serious competition... Lots of VERY good car togs (including rigging) on here.

They are superb, love the Dodge Charger and the Mustang. Not sure they would look half as good doing the usual chavvy Corsas and 206's over here though.

hi there, you wouldnt by anychance be selling the rig set ups would you, or would you be able to post the spec of it? i live in plymouth no to far away and just cant justify buying the automotive rig set from us. cheers

Will, check out Fast Films as a place that sells them over here or drop TP member GFWilliams a mail as I know he built his own and has used it to good effect on a decent array of cars

Really nice shots, I'd be very surprised if you can't get some business over here! Make use of the car-specific forums too, I'm sure people will be keen. You could even get in touch have a meet up near where you are..... Get a few members to bring some money and a car, and you get a couple of jobs done one after the other (if that's something that appeals to you!)

Chris

I would have though there is a merket, if i had a car i really liked, i would really want some shots like that! great shots, great PP too!!

Im sure there would be, particularly round my area (essex/south east) where there is quite a large scene, especially for old VW's and american muscle cars.

People that spend that much money, time and pride in restoring a car like that, you would like to think would appreciate a photo of that standard.

Oh and to answer your question:

I've got quite a good idea of that market - don't expect to make a living from it!

You can make the odd couple of hundred quid every few weeks, but no more really as the market just isn't big enough.

You won't be able to sell it too much with just rig shots - you definatly need to be able to do good statics and panning shots too.

HTH

If you want some practice I live in devon and your welcome to take some shots of my BMW E90!

Yes, i would say the UK would have a market for this. Living in Newquay the Run to the sun event in may would be the prefect aim to get yourself setup by as many modified cars and also old VW's so i could see many people want this.

Back