car rig pole

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
well I am trying to put a car rig together, but I cannot find the pole to use :shrug:

Ideally something that is easy to transport, so needs to either break down or be extendable... I will be using a D40X and a Sigma 10-20, so will be keeping the weight down.

Any help appreciated! ;)

You might want to send a PM to Kryptix, he made on a while ago, here

Hope this helps a bit!

Chris

well I am trying to put a car rig together, but I cannot find the pole to use :shrug:

Ideally something that is easy to transport, so needs to either break down or be extendable... I will be using a D40X and a Sigma 10-20, so will be keeping the weight down.

Any help appreciated! ;)

Sounds like you need a monopod to me!

Just had another thought! Looking out of my window, the guy opposite has an extension on his alloy tv pole! What about trying your local tv ariel fitter? The poles look ideal and you can get jointing brackets to make or break the lengths!

found these, but not sure if they are strong enough

measurements:
2.5cm diameter
thickness of the wall is 1.5mm

Just had another thought! Looking out of my window, the guy opposite has an extension on his alloy tv pole! What about trying your local tv ariel fitter? The poles look ideal and you can get jointing brackets to make or break the lengths!

found a couple of options now:

option 1
option 2
option 3

Looks like I was searching for the wrong thing :)

Yes, but I don't think that Graham wants a rig for inside the car, he wants one for outside the car that is about 3m long, lightweight and very sterdy.

George

should have said, yes, exterior car rig, 3m and sturdy :D

however the links are very helpful for an interior rig, which might come later ;)

should have said, yes, exterior car rig, 3m and sturdy :D

however the links are very helpful for an interior rig, which might come later ;)

Thanks Graham! What about the arial pole idea? it would be interesting to see what you come up with!

will do, going to scerwfix in crawley on Saturday, to look at and hopefully if I like, buy the poles. Manfrotto pads all the way ;)

I really like that extendable pole!

I like the idea of that above rig. It's on my list, but as my tvr is fibreglass, I don't want to risk damage/marks using glass/floor lifters. The pump suction stuff looks the way to go.

jessops and warehouse express have the manfrotto pads

wheres the best price for the superclamps?

no needs to be the swivel head one... I might be mistaken that they are warehouse express and jessops

Beware of the Manfrotto superclamps - i have one and the PLASTIC thread strips if you try to do it up to withstand the forces of wind against an SLR - it was an F5 at the time, but then a D2X and I haven't been able to undoe it, because there is no thread to undo...it just revolves.

Likewise the suction cup clamp that Manfrotto do - got one of those too. Same problem, the threads and screw handles are plastic and not up to the job. They strip at the merest hint of tightness.

You should be able to get a local engineering shop (or model engineer...be cheaper, they will do it for practise!) to make you screw threads and levers in brass or alloy - be much better than the crap plastic of the originals.

Those shots in the car rig thread...you can do that just by tracking along with another car or van. Just shoot out the side door, or sit out of the window of the photo car....don't get caught though or you will get done for not wearing a seatbelt, about the only thing they can think of of to do you for! Most times they just give a warning. they don't like tracking shots of bikes wheelieing in traffic though. take a dim view of that!:rules:

Back