Car rig test

Name
George
Edit My Images
Yes
IMG_0091s.jpg

Test car rig.. needs a slower shutter and more of a push... poorly chopped too

the colours of the car dont seem to be right. Is that due to PP or the car being a useless saxo :D lol

first thing my eye was drawn to was the front wing and windscreen as well.

other than that, the rig seems to have worked well, so signs of motion bur and the car is nice and sharp

The pole is like 14 foot, but only kinda 8 foot away from the car, on an 18mm lens.

I want to give it a go with the 8mm Peleng I have, or the 17-85 IS.

I know the cloning out is lame, I did it with one hand whilst on the phone.. but I just wanted to give it a test. it was too bright, I shot this at midday at 0"6 I think..

And you are right, I do need a polariser. That is on my to get list.. but I used my parents 300D and 18-55 for this shot.. as it was just a test. I need to strengthen the pole more. I think I might actually get another one, bolt it onto it so its like two, but do it an inch or 2 apart..

It was more blown out on the original, but to get the movement I had to chose a brighter one than darker. I didnt want to do too much blurring afterwards.

Viper, with regards to the colour, that has barely been changed from the camera version. I have it here.. as you can see, I pushed from the door.. so thats why the side of the wind screen looks dodgy.

With regards to the numberplate, it 'fell' off around 3 months ago :LOL:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/j0rg3/Uploads via Pixelpipe/IMG_0091.jpg?t=1252184843

Too big to post the image so theres a link..

Oh yeah, don't slate the rig.. it does its job, it holds well (I still put stuff on the floor under the camera just incase) and no it hasnt damaged the paintwork. I saw Deans thread who used the same concept and got ripped on here.

Last edited:
Is it me, or are there a couple of dust on the sensor marks too?

I think you might be correct. the camera was bought in 2005 and has never been cleaned :O

Also, the car is covered in flies at the front, so some of the marks is that

Its my parents 300D, my mum lost the lens cap a while back, but has used the UV filter to protect it lol..

I bought a new one for her last week.

It does need a proper clean, I just need to try it with the 40D, but the pole was flexing with the weight of the 300, so it needs to be stronger before I use the 40D..

how did you make ** rig? i want to do this but i dont know first thing about making one

was wondering if you could post some pics of just the rig

cheers

Maty

Why not purchase some ND filters to get a slower shutter speed? Oh and yes a polariser would help for the windscreen plus with the added bonus of cutting down light.

Regards
Matt

For your first attempt, I think you have done very well.Keep at it

Well, filters are next on my list. It is my birthday friday and I am selling a load of car parts.

Going to buy some ND filters, a polariser or 2 as well. (Just cant decide what lens for)

Might make a new one that attaches under the car.

Jorge if you buy a filter for the largest lens diameter the you could simply buy some stepdown rings to fit your smaller lens.

Also if you've got photoshop or similar you could select the car and then add motion blur to the background.

I did add more motion blur haha.

Okay, thats cool. I have already bought an adapter ring for the welding glass.

So if I get a 67mm polariser, ND filter.. then a few step downs?

Where is best place to buy them?

As first attempts I think this is pretty well done...it would be certainly better than any of my first attempts. :)

The only thing that puzzles me and its the first thing I noticed and not as technical as the blown highlights comments etc...is that it appears that the tail end of the car is kicked out and not following/ in line with the front wheels.

Either there is a trick with the lens or you have BIG Kahoonas strapping your pride and joy to the front of your other pride and joy and caning it... ;)

Regards

Another VTS driver ;)

If you look at the original, you can see me pushing it in the door. It moved about an inch or 2 haha.

So its not caning it..

I know what yo umean though, I think its the flex on the pole causing that. I have an IS lens to try it with, hopefully will sharpen it up a little bit.

The backend seems to be moving sideways..

Cant stop looking at the front grill though, sprayed it yesterday and the colour match is appalling :(

There is a guy on here who made a guide, he is also on SaxP.. I will try and find it for you and post it up..

please do - I would be interested to read it as well - tried a search but come back with just your post:)

and I like the photo, I think for a first attempt it is ruddy good:clap:

Last edited:
Generally longer shutter slower push gets less vibrations we found.

Very slow push longer shutter has the least vibrations.

+ push the car before the shutter actuates so the pole doesnt get a sidden vibration from a push

Back