Car shoots - multiple cars

Edit My Images
Yes
I've done a few car shoots for friends and people I meet on car forums over the past couple of years so I'm starting to get comfortable with stuff like choosing a location, composition, lighting etc. I'm going to be doing a two-car shoot sometime fairly soon though which I've never done before. Wondered what, if any, difference having two cars in some of the shots would make, in terms of location (does it need to be somewhere with a lot more space/less backdrop clutter), composition (avoiding very shallow DOF, how to "pose" two cars to look good together), that sort of thing?

I used to read modded car mags for years and remember that kind of photography and how good they were at it.

Perhaps check out some of those types of mags for examples but I would have thought 2 cars is rare because it does not work well in my opinion

Well the cars in question are both Ford Mustangs - one a 1965 GT350 Fastback and the other a 2016 GT. Hoping that they'll work well together!

Whats the final output? For magazines it would be a couple of shots side by side, maybe nose to nose, then detailed shots to show the differences, interior (dashes, seats, stereo etc), wheels, lights, that sort of thing.

Perhaps two together at traffic lights?

If you can shoot from another car then moving shots are always good, side by side, one slightly ahead to help framing.

This is good I think.

Looks like they used wide angle lens and a couple of strong lights.

DOF is not such a problem with very wide lenses

You could try something similar if you can get hold of a generator and lights to run off it.

Then you can drive to a good spot and have a go.

rs-vs-m2-2016-058.jpg

Last edited:
Output is really just for my own practice and enjoyment and hopefully some decent pics for the owners too. I've shot both cars individually before but we all thought it would be cool to get the old timer and the new model together. Thanks for the tips, I will try some moving shots too.

Thanks GTG, I like that too. Any reason I'd need static lights and a generator, as opposed to a couple of flashes on stands with appropriate light modifiers?

This is good I think.
Looks like they used wide angle lens and a couple of strong lights.

I've done very similar with just flash guns, you don't need generators and lights, just a little creativity.

Reactions: GTG
Thanks GTG, I like that too. Any reason I'd need static lights and a generator, as opposed to a couple of flashes on stands with appropriate light modifiers?

You can try with flashes but I think they got that effect and quality with two or more static lights of some power

Best thing is to get out and try with a couple of normal cars before you shoot the mustangs. Do your learning before the shoot. I used to spend an hour or so a night playign with different ideas.

105295796.jpg

137783120.jpg

138490600.jpg

119982005.jpg

You'l need a bit more space but it shouldnt really be a problem - you can fill out the frame whereas with a single car composition you might have had more negative space.

Here's some ideas from my past work:

Ferrari F40 & F50 by Khalid Bari, on Flickr

Lamborghini Aventador SV and Huracan by Khalid Bari, on Flickr

3 Roadsters - Lamborghini Huracan Spyder, Ferrari 488 Spider and Bentley GTC V8 by Khalid Bari, on Flickr

Renault Clio V6 Phase 2's by Khalid Bari, on Flickr

Porsche 911 Turbo S and Panamera GTS by Khalid Bari, on Flickr

Porsche 991 911 GT3 chasing a Lamborghini Huracan by Khalid Bari, on Flickr

Thanks for the input. Nice work kman, I've seen a few of those over on Pistonheads, inspirational stuff!

Back