Car Window Mount

https://www.amazon.co.uk/stediLens-...Attachment/dp/B08Y76GHBP?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

Has anyone used one of these or similar, and were they any good, as something like this I could do with to use in car.

Try moving the window when it is down, most move quite a lot, unless you want it for a light weight camera/lens, then why would it be needed?

It doesn't look very robust, and is quite expensive, plus modern car side glass is quite thin.

Maybe more details of intended use?

Decent strong mounts do cost a huge amount more though :)

Maybe more details of intended use?
Definitely need more info... there are several good options for support from a vehicle; that thing does not appear to be one. A good/cheap answer is just a length of pipe insulation or pool noodle slipped over the top of the glass. But kit/situation makes a difference.

Looks like a good way to break a window to me but having never tried one I couldn't say, might be ok with light kit. Others of a similar design seem to have good reviews on amazon although they do all seem to be Vine reviews where the reviewer received to item for free for the purpose of reviewing.

I also think they are intended to steady the camera/lens not to mount it :)

I saw someone using a more practical, although a great deal larger, system several years ago.

There was a big cup shaped object, which I assume was a sucker, mounted on the outside of the car's door. This was connected to the camera mount by a solid looking black bar and I guess there was another bar connected to the inside of the door. The lens was some almighty great monster which I guess was at least a 500mm and the whole thing looked both very heavy and very tough.

Perhaps there's something between that beast and the one Derek has pointed to that would suit his needs better?

I saw someone using a more practical, although a great deal larger, system several years ago.

There was a big cup shaped object, which I assume was a sucker, mounted on the outside of the car's door. This was connected to the camera mount by a solid looking black bar and I guess there was another bar connected to the inside of the door. The lens was some almighty great monster which I guess was at least a 500mm and the whole thing looked both very heavy and very tough.

Perhaps there's something between that beast and the one Derek has pointed to that would suit his needs better?

This is a decent mount :)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdI9NeJWFlY

Thanks for all your replies, it was mainly for 7D11 plus 100-400 lens, my niece has a farm up on the fells in the Ribble valley , the wind and rain blows some thing terrible, parked along there woods, would see me keeping warm and dry at this time of year .

Thanks for all your replies, it was mainly for 7D11 plus 100-400 lens, my niece has a farm up on the fells in the Ribble valley , the wind and rain blows some thing terrible, parked along there woods, would see me keeping warm and dry at this time of year .
Unfortunately, that is likely to cause soft images... the heat escaping from the window (and the warmer lens) causes air turbulence.

The required stability/SS is also relevant... I.e. if you want the maximum stability, nothing is better than a beanbag.

Last edited:

To be honest, I can't think of a more awkward way to take photos.
Having to twist sideways to take photos, windows misting up, starting the engine because the window is open and now it is cold, the wind being wrong and the rain blowing in, coffee spilling, crumbs dropping between the seats :(
Then Murphy's law states that once you have everything comfortable in the car, something really good will appear in a direction not covered by your limited view :)

Plus in brings back memories of a game park in Rhodesia, with elephants making false charges at the car, and my father sitting on the drivers door window sill, with his feet on the drivers seat, using the car roof as a bench to sort out the batteries in the Canonet 8 not making good contact !

I would prefer some heavy weather gear and a camera "raincoat" for taking photos, and the car as a rest/break place.

To me, it is one of those ideas that looks good until you get to try it.

Back