Card readers and connections....

Name
Douglas
Edit My Images
Yes
I don't know if this has been raised before, so I'll raise it anyway, and as I'm a newbie here you can perhaps forgive me.

If you use a card reader, would you expect to have any 'abnormal' wear on the pins in the camera??

I don't know if using a card reader, with the consequent frequent removal of the card from the camera will do the camera any more harm than the frequent use of a USB or firewire cord, which was surely designed with a practically infinite 'cycle' life.

I have to admit that I've never heard of any damage caused to card or camera due to frequent removal - I was just wondering.......:thinking:

Well I use 4 1GB cards at the moment anyway, so I'm forever changing them around, putting them into the camera, taking them out, putting them into CF slots on the printer, in my card reader, back in the camera.

Most of the slots are designed so that there isn't much give at the sides of the card and the cards can only go in the one way, they are guided in and as such can never really go the wrong way or bend anything as long as you don't start forcing things in if they won't go in the first time, then you realise the card is the wrong way round.

I wouldn't worry about it personally.

I've read on the canon300d forum a couple of years back about someone who claimed to have bent a pin inserting a CF card but I don't really see how that's possible. He/she must have tried very hard to do it I think.

Interesting point that I've never considered. What I can say is that I've always used a card reader for both SD and CF cards and never had an issue of any kind in 4 years of taking photos. Don't know if that helps :shrug:

Hi,

That was quick. I wasn't sure that there would be an issue, but I've swapped out cards about 10 times today, and it just got me wondering!!

Nowto worry about what so ever, I swap all the time when shooting live from the pithc. :)

Yup, Nothing to worry about at all mate. Personaly i try not to remove the card from my D50 alot if i can help it, because if anything is going to reduce the life of a card it is constant removals. This of course is me being totally pedantic, and realistically, removing the card from the camera will not do the card or camera any harm at all :)

Woody

When I bought my 350D the guy in the shop said that it is technically possible to put the card into the camera the wrong way round, so to be careful, but I've now had it in and out of the camera/card reader many times, with no problems.....but I am always very careful not to use force.

Back