Card Readers.

CT

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
I need a new one capable of reading CF and SD cards. Any recommendations? My current one is a USB one which just plugs into the front panel of the CPU without any wires needed and I've always found it a convenient arrangement, but I'm open to suggestions. :)

i have a card reader, its USB2, on a USB2 PCI card, but everytime i plug it in windoze tells me to get a usb2 port, cos it will wok quicker. time to upgrade that mobo i think

I have a no name 7 in 1 external USB2 card reader. It cost a little under £10 and has worked flawlessly on two different laptops and my main pc.

I used to have a USB1 7in1. Transfer time was poor so I now have a 3.5" USB2 in an empty front slot. Wired straight into the mobo - RAW files transfer in a jiffy now. Highly recommend it.

regards

stepheno said:
I used to have a USB1 7in1. Transfer time was poor so I now have a 3.5" USB2 in an empty front slot. Wired straight into the mobo - RAW files transfer in a jiffy now. Highly recommend it.

regards

I like that idea and I do have spare slots. :thumb:

Good link Matt, but it will have to fit a 5 1/4 slot. I'm definitely going to go this route though I think.

stepheno said:

regards

same here, mine also has a USB II port on the front of it , POP to install and cheap as chips

MyPix

CT said:
Good link Matt, but it will have to fit a 5 1/4 slot. I'm definitely going to go this route though I think.

if u need a slot adapter, i might have one around here somewhere,
or just throw the floppy drive away ( if u have one ), when was the last time u used it ???

MyPix

MyPix said:
or just throw the floppy drive away ( if u have one ), when was the last time u used it ???

MyPix

Now you mention it... :D

Thanks for the offer, I'll come back to you if I need to.

OK then... hands up... who's ditched the floppy drive? :whistle2:

me....

MyPix, lol

I don't have one in my Machine, but I do have one lying around somewhere just in case.

Matt said:
I don't have one in my Machine, but I do have one lying around somewhere just in case.

erm...just in case of what.........a door need wedging open ??

MyPix:thumb:

Matt said:
Just in case I need to throw it at someone:tonofbric :dizzy: :D

now i understand, small and compact yet heavy for its size, and saves throwing a can of lager, lol

MyPix:suspect1:

whats a floppy drive?

Matty said:
whats a floppy drive?

dont stand too close, one will get thrown at you , lol

MyPix:dizzy:

I currently have This one stuck into a 5.25 to 3.5 bay adaptor (which also has 2 usb2 ports) so that it is flush.
It is hard to find one of these things that includes Xd cards.

That said I know it is slower than a sandisk usb2 one. My 2G flash card takes just over 12 mins to download from full. Someone with a Sandisk model and exact same card can do it in 8 or 9 mins (can't remember for certain but it was quicker).

This reader does play up sometimes so I am watching this with interest.

Oh and I do have a floppy drive - it was used a couple of weeks ago. Daughters uni want essays sent in by post on floppy. March of technology eh?

I'll hold my hand up as a 'sub-tenner' brigade here.
Reads 3 million card varieties, is USB2, and polishes off a full 1 gig CD card in a few minutes. It does everything I need it for.

I had a belkin CF usb one on a lead.

then got a HP printer with all the ports already on it.

so sold the belkin to a mate for his Canon D60,

For laptop ive got a PCMCIA to CF adaptor.

I use a no name USB2 9 in 1 reader, is fine for what i do with it, i normally only transfer pics off the card at home, so dont need super fast transfers.

I still have a floppy drive too, rarely use it though lol

I use a laptop, so it's a Sandisk CF reader on a USB II cable.

Back