Cardiff *shakes head* Awesome street shots showing boozing culture.

yep, looks like a typical Friday/Saturday night out in Cardiff, but it could be any major city in the UK - most places are the same when there's stupid drunk people about!

Lol, actually recognise a face or 2 there, in the 4th one up that's the bar i work on the door at in the background. Cardiff isn't as bad as these pictures make out but i'll admit it is getting worse, A 21 year old kid got stabbed 9 times outside the front door a few months back and i had to give first aid to the poor git.

Still waiting to hear if i have to go to court about it or not:(

Chris

He is a fantastic photographer. Regardless of the subject you can't deny that fact. I don't think he meant to make the series a critical review of Cardiff, more a look into the binge drinking culture in Britain in general. I don't think there is anything in the shots that screams out 'this is Cardiff'.

Erm, why is there rubbish everywhere? What a tip!! That council must be worse than ours! I've gotten used to seeing people like that but jebus, empty the bins!!! :eek:

Erm, why is there rubbish everywhere? What a tip!! That council must be worse than ours! I've gotten used to seeing people like that but jebus, empty the bins!!! :eek:

If you go there in the daytime then it's generally a clean place - even after a big rugby/football match the council are generally pretty fast at cleaning up :)

Great shot but agree that could be any city centre in Britain at the weekend.

Looking at these shots makes me want to stay in :wacky:

I'm guessing the bins must overflow when nearly everyone is buying take-away food. I've visited Cardiff during the day and it was was impressive place, nothing like these photos show. Alot of places will be like this in the UK, but this is a good example of what happens. Some nice snaps! I'm impressed with the one of the guy who had an injured face, I wouldn't stand that close with the camera.

Most big towns have an early morning clean up team, they go out about 5-6 o clock in the morning and clean up the overnight mess, i'm told they find a good few quid dropped by the revelers.
While the photos are impressive, it's not much to show for 4 years work, as someone said you could get something similar over a weekend if your pushy enough and willing to risk your camera.

Most big towns have an early morning clean up team, they go out about 5-6 o clock in the morning and clean up the overnight mess, i'm told they find a good few quid dropped by the revelers.
While the photos are impressive, it's not much to show for 4 years work, as someone said you could get something similar over a weekend if your pushy enough and willing to risk your camera.

What do you expect? I bet he has thousands of shots. I doubt the papers are going to give their entire issue just to his photographs. Those are just a selection.

:thinking: :eek: If I may, I would slightly disagree with that :shrug: This guy has a very good eye. I know photos like that looks easy to do, but they are not! I am very impressed with his photos

:thinking: :eek: If I may, I would slightly disagree with that :shrug: This guy has a very good eye. I know photos like that looks easy to do, but they are not! I am very impressed with his photos

Each to his own, some people are more easily impressed than others. Wayne

I agree that the photographs could have been taken at any major city or town in the UK, but to me, they are a great piece of social commentary that do exemplify a "night out" in modern Britain!

You could get photographs like this in Glasgow if you went to the right places, however this wouldn't be a fair reflection on Glasgow as a whole, I suspect Cardiff would be the same, but the photographer details a section of society who behaves in this way, that the majority find unpalatable.

Each to his own, some people are more easily impressed than others. Wayne

Possibly true, but some people see the significance of photography more easily than others too. To a lot of people it's not just a bunch of differently coloured pixels. It's more than that. It's documentary. It might not be a bunch of pretty flowers or a beautiful sunset but the beauty of it doesn't need to be plainly obvious for it to be effective.

Possibly true, but some people see the significance of photography more easily than others too. To a lot of people it's not just a bunch of differently coloured pixels. It's more than that. It's documentary. It might not be a bunch of pretty flowers or a beautiful sunset but the beauty of it doesn't need to be plainly obvious for it to be effective.

Sorry I don't see the beauty of people sitting in a dirty bus stop, not exactly a difficult shot to get. While they are nice enough shot's they just don't make me fall off my chair and drool.
For fours years work I expect a little more.
And if he's shooting digital it is just a collection of different coloured pixels.

Sorry I don't see the beauty of people sitting in a dirty bus stop, not exactly a difficult shot to get. While they are nice enough shot's they just don't make me fall off my chair and drool.
For fours years work I expect a little more.
And if he's shooting digital it is just a collection of different coloured pixels.

Thanks for illustrating my previous point perfectly.

Ahh... match night. I must remember to get my camera out next time there's rugby on in Cardiff; the carnage and trash is always gone by the following night!

In the daytime it's a totally different place.
But those shots remind me why I don't go into town on a Friday or Saturday night. . . or it could be that I'm just getting old!

Same here - have had some great nights out there in the past but only visit there for shopping these days, so must be getting old as well :)

What's the matter with you both - far to old!
Get out and enjoy it. Cardiff is a great city.
Yep it's a nuthouse on matchday or a Saturday night, but there are some great bars if you know where to look!!
Never in a million years would I take my slr down st. Mary street!!
As for the shots fair play to him! Drunken shots in the town are not tough to find, just need some serious bottle - excuse the pun!

Thats the bugger. Tried searching for this a few weeks ago after seeing it a while ago. Couldnt remember the guys name (evidently why :p)

So there's quite a few Cardiffians on the boards? I'm not a native, still learning my way around. It's a shame, I would have liked to do the photomarathon thing. Did anyone from here attend this year's?

Depressing. Makes me wish they would just drop The Bomb.
WOW, very harsh comment indeed. The images you see here, whilst they are OK shots, only depict what you can see in any large town/city late on a Friday or Saturday night.

I think your justice is harsh and disproportionate!

My tuppenny worth is that the takeaway owners should be taxed to the hilt for using non-biodegradeable packaging ... bring back chips in newspaper and help landfill.

I think the only thing that's changed over the last 30 years is the reduction of female clothing .. a boozy night out has always been a boozy night out, not my scene but I'm sure it keeps many bar and council staff in a secure job.

That guy in pink scaling the barrier is a real cracker, he'll never live that one down :LOL:

I agree with everyone else when they say it could be anywhere in the UK and as for the bins at least the rubbish is by the bin not just tossed anywhere. I actually like Cardiff day and night time, I never really find it that bad and matchday especially there is always an electric atmosphere...

but anyway
So there's quite a few Cardiffians on the boards? I'm not a native, still learning my way around. It's a shame, I would have lifed to do the photomarathon thing. Did anyone from here attend this year's?

2 of my friends went and loved it, I wish I'd know about it a bit in advance as I'd have definitely would have gone!!

I agree with everyone else when they say it could be anywhere in the UK and as for the bins at least the rubbish is by the bin not just tossed anywhere. I actually like Cardiff day and night time, I never really find it that bad and matchday especially there is always an electric atmosphere...

but anyway

2 of my friends went and loved it, I wish I'd know about it a bit in advance as I'd have definitely would have gone!!

Ooh, next time we'll have to round up a few TPers for it. Could be fun!

they are great reportage photos

to be honest the same could be said for any big city though, especially one with such a large student population

one thing thought....the photo called "The leaning tower of rubbish:" should have been called "The leaning tower of pizza"
soz if someone else has already punned that one in there.

and "Pretty in pink:" nearly made me cover my monitor in coke!!

How depressing, reminds me why I never get so bladdered on a night out I can never remember my own name :shake:

Good project though :)

Back