Career(ing!) into the world of DSLR

You don't need any extra lenses, really. A crap kit lens is enough, maybe a 50mm 1.8. Auto-focus certainly isn't needed. This purchase is entirely for learning the technical side of things. Learning about how an SLR works (it doesn't even have to be digital, really), learning more about which aspects he wants to focus more on (pun intended).

It's not about taking perfect photos - so perfect lenses and a large investment aren't needed.

I'd be careful about the lack of autofocus, I would say that's probably the most important feature on a DSLR because of the lack of a textured area to assist manual focussing. On a DSLR manual focus is quite possibly one of the hardest things to master. Heck, I've just about mastered it on film cameras with the textured area, not a chance of me getting an image even as sharp as a coolpix on my D300 in manual focus :LOL:

It's not the end of the world though if they're not perfectly focused - it's not really the aim. Anyone knows that the end result needs to be focused, but not everyone knows how to fiddle with exposure and such like and that is the stuff that needs to be understood before blowing three grand.

(Although I do tend to use manual focus a lot, especially now I've got live view to aid it)

It's not the end of the world though if they're not perfectly focused - it's not really the aim. Anyone knows that the end result needs to be focused, but not everyone knows how to fiddle with exposure and such like and that is the stuff that needs to be understood before blowing three grand.

(Although I do tend to use manual focus a lot, especially now I've got live view to aid it)

Fair enough. I think autofocus is probably more important, because you're going from a camera that has it to one that doesn't, but sure we'll agree to disagree about it :LOL:!

It's not the end of the world though if they're not perfectly focused - it's not really the aim.

Try telling that to the mother-of-the-bride (as the op, lest we forget, wants to be a wedding tog) when all the shots of her daughter's big day are oof...

Kaouthia, I'm struggling to see at what point I made the comment (or suggested as such) that I'm "another one who thinks he can just buy some flashy kit and hey presto, he's a pro" ???

Simply on this forum to gain some friendly advice and look towards making a sensible investment that will stand me well towards making a career in photography, not over night as your comment suggests but over a period of years, I'm not naive and frankly only a fool would expect to shoot from zero to hero overnight due to the high spec of the Nikon body......You may also note that I'm looking to study extensively towards gaining a greater understanding of the technical aspects of photography......

Thanks to all the other positive comments, I can see merit in many of the comments, a second hand body may well be the best starting point to avoid wasting excessive funds.

Jamie, thanks for your kind offer, I may well take you up on this. I'm starting to wonder if a DSLR training session be the first move with camera body investment following shortly after, this will provide a launch pad and expand my technical understanding which of my own admission is currently low!

Cheers

Olly

Fair enough. I think autofocus is probably more important, because you're going from a camera that has it to one that doesn't, but sure we'll agree to disagree about it :LOL:!

I don't disagree, really. I just think it is an acceptable loss to save money. The photos should still be basically focused - it's just that last few centimetres of focusing that makes a perfect picture that'll be lost on pictures taken in a rush. In a technical exercise, that's not a massive problem - it's just a bit of an annoyance.

In any other circumstance I'd be very much on your side of the argument, of course.

Try telling that to the mother-of-the-bride (as the op, lest we forget, wants to be a wedding tog) when all the shots of her daughter's big day are oof...

This isn't for anywhere near professional pictures, just for learning the ins and outs. Wedding photography is its own beast, and is better learned with your final equipment I'd think.

not over night as your comment suggests but over a period of years

Having already decided to change career to something you really know nothing about implied it. :)

If it takes you the next 5 years to learn how to shoot at a decent level with consistency, how do you know that 5 years from now you'll still want to change career?

Don't go into this thinking "I wanna make money as a photographer". Go into it as "I want to learn photography", get a feel for it, and THEN decide if you want it as a career change. You might decide you enjoy it too much to ruin it by making it work. There's more to being a working photographer than just taking pictures and post processing.

Many people start businesses doing something they enjoy, and then end up hating it once it becomes an actual "job" and they start to understand all the ther things that go along with it.

Jamie, thanks for your kind offer, I may well take you up on this. I'm starting to wonder if a DSLR training session be the first move with camera body investment following shortly after, this will provide a launch pad and expand my technical understanding which of my own admission is currently low!

Cheers

Olly

Olly, due to you being a new member I cannot send you a private message regarding borrowing camera equipment.
But please feel free to contact me via email.
My email is
j-palmer-staffs (at) live (dot) co (dot) uk

I'm sure you can stitch that together :p

You are joking.............. :thinking:

Using auto mode removes ALL control of the final image from the photographer and should be avoided at all costs.

...errr, not exactly. You have exposure shift in P mode on a Nikon so if you disagree with the aperture/shutter speed the camera picks, the user can shift to one they feel better suited using one of the command dials. Exposure comp is still available too for extra control.

P mode isn't always a bad thing you know....

what's with this continual...... " I plan to be a wedding pro in XX years "

we NEVER see ..

"I want to be a portrait tog and give up my day job, live in ****burgh and build studios at 4AM"............:LOL::LOL:

Hi Olly

My suggestion would be to research the best training you can find and put your money into that. The training will tell you what kit is best! .... If you were learning to fly an aircraft you would make sure you were up to it before buying a Cesna or whatever? .... Anyway good luck with your career!

It's the usual response to "another one who thinks he can just buy some flashy kit and hey presto, he's a pro".

That doesn't appear to be the case here at all! The OP has mearly asked some very sensible questions about a career in photography. He has not said or implied he is going to buy a camera and go straight out to do a wedding has he? He has talked about training and practice first. he has not mentioned any timescales, you have presumed.

However, this does raise the question: What timescale do you do you anticipate before becoming a full time tog?

There will be many different opinions on this on here. If you have an eye for a good photo and good people management skills it will happen reletively quickly. All you need to learn is the technical skills involved and how to use them to get the good shots in many varying circumstances. Don't be put off by some responses. If you put in the time and practice and build a portfolio you'll be fine. Don't try to rush things though. Good luck

Back