Carry on bag option.

Name
Richard Wong
Edit My Images
No
Looking for a suitably large suitcase as carry on luggage. The one that I think fits the bill is the manfrotto roller 70. I really want a roller bag as had a backpack before, it gave me backaches a lot.

Just out this post to see any alternatives out there.

I have 1xD610, 1x18-35G, 1x35mm Sigma, 1x70-200VR2, 1xflash, 1xtripod and battery grip + battery and 3 filters and cards etc.

I need enough space for all the above plus some room for my chargers and some space to store my washbag and possibly some small cloth items. I also need to got my sling bag in there as empty as I use the sling bag when I am on the go but the suitcase will be the thing that I take to plane and go between hotels etc.

I recently found that my current compromise is horrible

Also does anyone know a sling/should bag that has clips for tripod or a hip belt system that takes a tripod? Reason being carrying a tripod on a hike is quite hard.

What you need to do is check your airlines rules for hand luggage. Ryanair sticks to the rules. Others vary so I yt? S do your homework on your airline otherwise it's in the hold at your cost.

Last edited:
I don't fly Ryanair. And I checked that most airlines have the same bag sizes. With ryan air being the smallest allowing for only 50cm tall bags.

Last edited:
Last edited:
manfrotto roller 70

External Height(H) 56 cm
External Length(L) 37.5 cm
External Width(W) 23 cm

need to check to see how the measurements are...

I checked that most airlines have the same bag sizes.
Check again. There is lots of variation.

Also check and double check what weights they allow for carry-on. Some are as low as 5kg. That's a real issue when your bag weighs 4.77kg empty.

Last edited:
Check again. There is lots of variation.

Also check and double check what weights they allow for carry-on. Some are as low as 5kg. That's a real issue when your bag weighs 4.77kg empty.
aye, i have just been on an airline where the standard weight is 5kg but there is option for buying more. at least the ones I generally use seem to have the same height and width with slightly varying width/thickness. which I hope the carry on bag has some "flex" to allow the soft lid to go in. the other thing that concerns me is the fact that tripods are all carried outside the case...

Tripod should be OK in hold baggage? Admitedly mine's a cheap-ass aluminium travel one normally but I'd have thought most don't need to be in the cabin with you.
At a guess flight crew might get concerned about carrying a fairly large blunt instrument on deck where they'd be fine with electronics!

tripod can be taken onboard. I have don it many times. I generally don't have hold luggage on short trips. thus the carry-on bag option

Back