Carrying a DSLR and two lenses

Edit My Images
No
Hello,

My kit currently consists of a D90 with a Tamron 28-75mm, a Nikkor 35mm prime and a Nikkor 10-24mm wide angle. I'm looking for a bag, and am considering one of two options - either buying a lightish sling bag like the Kata Lightri 315/317, or just buying individual pouches for each lens and the body and sticking it into my well used travel backpack.

Any suggestions? Am quite tempted by the latter option, since it should be a lot cheaper.

Thank you.

If you think you'll be changing lenses often, I would go for something along the lines of your first suggestion. I think you'll find it a pain having to delve into a bag and then another bag for each lens change.

It all depends on how often you change your lens, and when / why you do it.

For example, if you use your 28-75 most of the time and use your 10-24mm only for Landscapes, using a tripod, the additional time taken to swap the lenses is no big deal.

If you continually find yourself swapping lenses on the go, then get a sling bag or a messenger bag.

You'll find that one bag is never enough.. and it also depends on the situation you'll be in. I prefer an anonymous "man bag" in big cities to avoid being obviously a tourist potentially carrying expensive equipment*. Out in the field the comfort of a decent backpack is better.

*likewise, swap the camera manufacturers strap for something more discreet and comfortable. Nothing says "steal me!" quite like Nikon or Canon emblazoned in bright stitched lettering around your neck. I also put Crumpler into the "steal me!" category.

Thank you all for the replies. A couple of follow-up questions:

1. Any suggestions on a sling bag? Am tempted by the Kata, it looks fairly inconspicuous and is not too large given my kit is fairly small. The only stumbling block is the price tag. Considering I spent £500 on the body, is it judicious to spend upto £130 on the bag?

2. Any suggestions on straps? I personally don't like the bright yellow free Nikon advert I carry everywhere.

Optech Pro is possibly the best replacement strap, see countless recommendations on this very forum.

just looking at the lowepro 180/190 AW shoulder bag, waterproof and reasonably priced.

btw is there replacement wrist straps instead of shoulder traps for camera, I hate having the strap round my neck and the camera is either in the bag or in my hand, I end up wrapping the camera strap round my wrist.

If I just go out with the D700+lens (e.g. 85mm), plus two unfitted lenses (e.g. 18-35 & 60mm macro), I use my Billingham Hadley Pro.

And I use a Black Rapid Strap.

Hello,

I'm looking for something that's discreet and doesn't scream camera bag. Given that, what would be the recommended choice between the Kata LightTri-315 and the Lowepro Passport Sling? I'm inclined to the latter, but am concerned that it may not be adequately padded.

Have a look at these -

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_1&products_id=110009

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_1&products_id=113324

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_1&products_id=110011

All are fairly cheap so you have not lost too much if you don't get on with one of them.

I use the first one which has enough room for

camera+18-55mm lens,
a 70-210mm lens.
a 55mm lens,
spare battery + charger
blower,
cloth,
phone charger,
pair of 10x50 binoculars, and
a few filters

with a bit of room left over.

Dave

Kill two birds with one stone ? A while back I bought a Manfrotto tripod on a special deal which included a free sling bag. Doesn't look too much like a camera bag to my eyes, carries the camera with two lenses and a flash (or three lenses), as well as a couple of other pockets for spare batteries, cards, notebook, cloth, ...

just looking at the lowepro 180/190 AW shoulder bag, waterproof and reasonably priced.

btw is there replacement wrist straps instead of shoulder traps for camera, I hate having the strap round my neck and the camera is either in the bag or in my hand, I end up wrapping the camera strap round my wrist.

I don't know what type of wrist strap you are after, if its just one to loop around your wrist so you don't drop the camera theres a huge choice from thin nylon up to thick leather.

I prefer leather straps and just bought a couple of THESE. for my cameras.
I hate neck straps too....

Allan

I use a LowPro AW 200 and 302.

In my experience both are very practical and I'm happy with both. Only thing I will say is that the 302 is a bit heavy when loaded to have a on a single strap for longer periods.

The Retrospective 10 aint too shabby either (y)

Another vote for the Retro10 here. I can arrange mine to take a gripped 7D with an 18-50 2.8 attached, plus a 10-20 wide angle, flash, all manner of bits and bobs, and carry a Gitzo GT1542T under the flap. With all of the dividers out it will take the gripped 7D with a 70-200 2.8 II attached. Very versatile and discrete in the Pinestone colour.

Last edited:
Back