Carrying camera equipment on a flight?

Edit My Images
Yes
I assume I can take my Lowepro bag onto a flight as my hand luggage. I can't see any rules against camera equipment on the BAA website.

I carried my full kit bag on last year mate, no-one batted an eyebrow. Just make sure that the dimensions are within the allowed size ............

Check that the bag is small enough and under the weight allowance (which can vary from a few kilos up to whatever you can lift into the overhead locker!) Allow a little extra time to get through the security check - they have been known to swab EVERYTHING in the bag down for explosives checks (I've had it done! Mind you, I would rather waste 5 minutes at the check point than eternity looking for my spleen,,,)

Dimensions and weight are fine so all sounds good, then. :)

Don't forget to treat any cleaning fluids as you would for toiletries etc. Must be less than 100ml and in a a 10x10cm zip bag (usually availble just before the scanners at most airports)

Don't take any screwdrivers or anything like I've done.

On low cost airlines I've never had a problem with size and weight. Although I have been known to carry stuff in a jacket...

When I went to China I was told in no way I was taking my camera bag on at the weight it was. I countered that there was no way I was putting anything in the hold - in the end they said take your laptop in a seperate bag, but if they stop you at the gate you'll have to pay a fee. Noone said a thing, that's the only time I've had anything said going all over Europe, Dubai, China, America and Mexico.

Do allow time for the security checks though, almost missed a plane with those.

Easyjet is the only one that has no weight limit on the cabin baggage... but it does have a slightly smaller size limit.

I assume I can take my Lowepro bag onto a flight as my hand luggage.

Depends what you put in it. Put a camera and lenses in it and you'll be fine. Try putting a kilo of cocaine, a stanley knife, a pistol and a home made bomb in a clock and they might prevent you from getting on board.;)

i got back from the US couple of weeks ago...took my backpack with 2 cams,4 lenses and other stuff..no probs,a quick look inside by airport staff.."whats this for..whats that for?"..and on me way..(y)

Nice and easy then. Off to the Nürburgring again but instead of driving; will be flying out for, erm, a flying visit lol. Managed to stuff everything into one bag so I'm saving on checked in luggage! :LOL:

I flew out to New Zealand in feb for 9 weeks and took my camera equipment and laptop in a crumpler camera bag, rucksack thingy. It weighed 16 kilos believe it or not. Was quite a big bag too.... no way it was gonna fit in the size limit thing. Obviously it was also well over weight. Wasn't a problem. Flew to Thailand last November with a Lowpro slingshot AW 200 also with no worries.

Believe it or not, in the last 3 years I got on a plane 28 times, 12 of these were this year, and I was NEVER stopped to be checked, and I have always carried my gear with me, and after the abolition of the one-bag restriction, I also carry my 120-300 f2.8, which looks like a small cannon, in its own case as extra handbag. They just put them in the X-ray thingy with no questions asked.
What I did for the gear that is either too big to carry with (eg tripod, big lenses) or that it just doesn't fit in your carry bag is that I bought a really hard Samsonite that I trust that it wont crack and check it in. I paid quite a lot for it but everything is quite safe inside, if you wrap everything up with towels and clothes or probably some bubble-wrap.

I flew out to New Zealand in feb for 9 weeks and took my camera equipment and laptop in a crumpler camera bag, rucksack thingy. It weighed 16 kilos believe it or not. Was quite a big bag too.... no way it was gonna fit in the size limit thing. Obviously it was also well over weight. Wasn't a problem. Flew to Thailand last November with a Lowpro slingshot AW 200 also with no worries.

16kg??? You lightweight!!! Mine weighs 23kg and just fits in the size frame.

BA recently adopted a 23kg max cabin weight, but there's no facility to weigh anything once you've left check-in. They just have size frames. That weight is a bit much to carry through the terminal so I have one of those fold up pair of wheel thingies from Samsonite which is rated at 75kg.

when io went to menorca i was able to take all my lenses and camera in my Canon over shoulder bag and my tripod (in its case) on handluggage.
I normally pack the tripod but the case was full on this trip.

both airports questioned what was in the tripod bag because of its odd dimension but they allowed it through!

Don't forget to treat any cleaning fluids as you would for toiletries etc. Must be less than 100ml and in a a 10x10cm zip bag (usually availble just before the scanners at most airports)

How about a chunky Lens cleaning pen? Technically it's got fluid in it, but would you bother?

Back