Cars......they do me crust in.

Dino f

Wiiiiilmmmaaaaaaaa
Name
Dean Feltimo
Edit My Images
Yes
Yesterday, the better half said the car was stalling on her. After the obligatory banter about her driving, i said i'd take it to the local garage.
After a quick look the mechanic said it may be the head gasket:( .
I booked it in for a diagnostic test, cost.......£65.

I got a phone call today to say it was'nt the head gasket:D , it needs a new water pump.......along with a cam belt change........and a new radiator, advised cost....£450 incl vat & labour.

Go ahead with the work i said.

Get a phone call about an hour or so later, When the were doing the cam belt tensioners they saw that one of the bolts had snapped of in the engine block (or something). result........need head taking off to remove it.....bang.... a new head gasket.

The garage owner said because we are paying enough anyway he'd do the head gasket for free, but we'd have to pay labour costs.
So the out come of this. Tomorrow, i am going to be about £650 less off. And back to square 1 saving for my 1D2.
I wanna SCREEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMM.:bang:
Dean:crying:

is this at a dealer?

a head gasket won't cause stalling without other symptoms.
rough running, poor starting, coolant pressurisation/expulsion

so they're removing the timing cover and they find a broken bolt.....how come the broken bolt head hadn't dropped into the teeth of the timing belt. if a tensioner mounting bolt had of been broken, the cam belt would have dropped and the engine wouldn't run full stop.

they are removing the head to do drill the bolt out and doing the gasket free......woo hoo......20 odd quid for a gasket after he's probably cost you hundreds

what car is it?

Unless the car's management is shutting down the engine due to excessive engine temps i'd doubt at this point....i.e only knowing your brief post....if this was the problem

have you had to top up the coolant on a frequent basis?
If not, why is it having a radiator and a water pump?

Make sure you get to see the condition of ALL the displaced parts, and just to really put a downer on you.....most bolts can be drilled out without getting the component off if the garage has some decent tooling. I favour a makita cordless angle drill and left handed drill bits ;)

Yeah!
The water was being filled up every day. When the car was in neutral but just idleing, the revs would shoot up and then drop and the engine would rattle. Apparently the bolt broke whist being removed.
The engine was running hot alot of the time.
It's a Rover 25, 1.6

Lifes a bummer sometimes eh!
Dean:)

A dodgy radiator AND a water pump? That's bad luck. My vectra had the same symptomsbut was just the water pump. I can't see why they need to remove the head either. I'd have thought the bolt would go into a blind hole in which case the only option is using Ezi-Outs to get the sheared bolt out.

Buy a Toyota or Honda next time. ;)

sounds like they are stitching you up i would want to see the proof of the rad and would be inclined to go get second opinion, you sure the bolt was already snapped and that they haven't done it trying to see if was the head gasket sounds mighty bloody fishy to me !!!!!!!

Went to pick up car today, they managed to get bolt out without taking head off. I saw radiator, it was really clogged up. Anyway car all done and alot cheaper than they said, because no head gasket to be done and no charge for diagnostic test as they would have had to do one anyway.
Still a way of the 1D though.
Dean:)

K series ..........:eek:

Glad it wasn't as painful as it could have been.

Back