Carshalton Straw Jack 2022

Name
Rob Telford
Edit My Images
No
'Straw Jack' is a harvest festival that takes place every at the start of September in my corner of south London. With the help of a human inside, over the course of several hours, the 'Jack' made of straw processes between various pubs around village accompanied by his retinue and followers providing music and dance.

It used to be that the Jack was ceremonially cremated at the end of the day, but the local pubs decided they didn't fancy the risk on their premises and that doesn't happen any more.

Some might suggest that it's merely an enormously elaborate excuse for a pub crawl, but that would clearly be baseless. And in truth, it's not some ancient rite dating back to the Druids as you might think, since it's only been happening since 2004.

None of that stops it being tremendous fun, though :)

Anyhow, here is small selection of my snaps* of the proceedings last Saturday, with a full gallery of around 70 pictures here.

* technical note for those interested - everything taken using a Sony A7III with a miscellany of manual focus Contax C/Y lenses from the 1980s.

1. Carshalton Straw Jack 2022 by Rob Telford, on Flickr

2. Carshalton Straw Jack 2022 by Rob Telford, on Flickr

3. Carshalton Straw Jack 2022 by Rob Telford, on Flickr

4. Carshalton Straw Jack 2022 by Rob Telford, on Flickr

5. Carshalton Straw Jack 2022 by Rob Telford, on Flickr

6. Carshalton Straw Jack 2022 by Rob Telford, on Flickr

Last edited:
Lovely pictures Rob.

I think the last one is a good one to end on as she has a lovely smile and that smile shows the joy of the day.

Well done :D

I've lived just up the road from this since before 2004...and never heard of it, let alone seen it!!!! Do I recognise The Sun in North Street?

Thanks all

I've lived just up the road from this since before 2004...and never heard of it, let alone seen it!!!! Do I recognise The Sun in North Street?

Yes, the middle three photos are on Mill Lane outside The Sun - I was back there for Sunday lunch yesterday :cool:

I've put this in my diary for next year, and my apologies for not commenting on the photos, which I think really capture this somewhat odd custom and the characters involved!

Also, I understand that The Hope, (a community owned pub), hosts Morris Dancing from time to time, as well as stocking a great range of beers, so anyone in reasonable distance of Carshalton might be interested in visiting for good beer and entertainment.

I have no association with The Hope other than being an occasional customer!

Last edited:
Back