Castell y Gwynt

Name
Rory
Edit My Images
Yes
After our holiday to Tenerife was cancelled I had a couple of days free so it was the mountains for me ;-)

I set the alarm for an 04:00 start from home. A gloriously traffic free drive to the car park...(yes, a car free car park on the Ogwen Valley) at the foot of Tryfan. I had decided on the route from Llyn Bochlwyd, Bwlch Tryfan, Miners track and up to Glydyr fach. Only because I had a heavy bag, tripod and I did not fancy pushing a labradoodle up Y Gribyn at night ;-)

I surprised myself and the walk only took 1.5 hours. As a result I had time to have a bite to eat, change my sweaty base layer and soak up the views before taking any photos.

The bread and butter shot... Castell y Gwynt
Castell y Gwynt by Rory Trappe, on Flickr

20 mins before sunrise

View from Glydyr fach by Rory Trappe, on Flickr

A view from Glydyr fawr as the sun was rising. using a 100-400 at 400.....Not a favourite focal length for landscapes of a few on here but once seen I could not resist :)

400mm by Rory Trappe, on Flickr

Some fellow photographers on Crib Goch. I have managed to track them down on Instagram and sent the image through to them.

Photographers on Crib Goch by Rory Trappe, on Flickr

The Witches fingers on Glyder Fawr.

The clouds were not playing today so this was a consolation shot.
Glydyr Fawr by Rory Trappe, on Flickr

Llyn Bochlwyd
llyn bochlwyd by Rory Trappe, on Flickr

And finally. Wil waiting patiently (bored) when the tripod gets deployed !

Untitled by Rory Trappe, on Flickr

Last edited:
Quite simply, - stunning!
Well worth the early start and journey there.
Loving the view given at the 400mm end.

Shot one is biblically good and THE one of the series.
2. Might crop some off the bottom to hide the railway
3. Nice but not one nice...
4. I'd wanna clone these out - I hate people in pictures. Otherwise nice
5. Nice consolation shot
6. Lovely mood and feeling here
7. I don't like dogs LOL - I'd crop that out myself.

Castell y Gwynt translates to Castle of the wind or windy Castle. Just thought i would mention it since nobody English knows a word of Welsh lol

Great conditions and nice compositions throughout.

I have a few reservations about processing though, that hopefully would be an easy fix:
1. It's pretty much a killer shot already but then it almost has a sort of part-processed CLOG feel to it. Namely the bottom needs a boost in blacks / contrast & texture, and the top needs to be brightened back up a a little (top >>> always brighter than >>> bottom)

2. Great conditions and frame again, just what happened with the top part? Top and bottom look almost separate for hue and brightness. I entirely like the bottom bit. Looking at the clouds it's evident the top is a little overdarkened and has blueish / greenish tint to it. I might be also tempted to lose / clone out the orangy bit at the very top (the colour districts a bit from the rest). Should be an easy one.

3. Probably my favourite of these. Just brighten back up the top. and fix vignetting It may also work as black and white.

I think these edits would take them to next level.

Great conditions and nice compositions throughout.

I have a few reservations about processing though, that hopefully would be an easy fix:
1. It's pretty much a killer shot already but then it almost has a sort of part-processed CLOG feel to it. Namely the bottom needs a boost in blacks / contrast & texture, and the top needs to be brightened back up a a little (top >>> always brighter than >>> bottom)

2. Great conditions and frame again, just what happened with the top part? Top and bottom look almost separate for hue and brightness. I entirely like the bottom bit. Looking at the clouds it's evident the top is a little overdarkened and has blueish / greenish tint to it. I might be also tempted to lose / clone out the orangy bit at the very top (the colour districts a bit from the rest). Should be an easy one.

3. Probably my favourite of these. Just brighten back up the top. and fix vignetting It may also work as black and white.

I think these edits would take them to next level.
Thanks and yes you are right about the foreground. I have carried out a slight tweak as suggested ;-)

first & last ones i like the most

Stunning set, clearly theres some zoom going on but don't suppose one or 2 of these were on the 11 Pro?

Absolutely awesome set Rory. All worthy of a top spot.

A stunning selection. You must have been beside yourself with excitement!

I might have composed a couple of these slightly differently but on the whole....... Fabulous!

Edit: I'd clone the sheep out.
Thanks Jerry.

The conditions were good but as far as I was concerned not right. hopefully I will revisit the location in the next few weeks to see if I can get something slightly different.

Lovely set those. Well worth the early start

Beautiful images, well worth the drive and hike(y)

Lovely set Rory, these early morning starts make all the difference too, probably the best time of day.

Great images Rory

Back