Castle Combe Autumn Classic 2022

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
Went to Castle Combe on Saturday to the Autumn Classic racing, or as one spectator said ... "Real petrol cars!".
I've never been to Castle Combe circuit before and never photographed motor sport so it was a totally new experience for me.
Panning was a real challenge and I made the mistake of upping the shutter speed, which of course rendered the photos lacking in any sense of movement.
Some were okay and some were different to the normal that I've see.
I would be interested to see what you think but don't be too harsh ... total beginner at this! :eek:

Pure racing
by Bristol Streets, on Flickr

Small cars

Weather coming!

I like your images, only thing is 9 & 10 are a bit to static but still good shots.

Those "small cars" which look like the ones at Oulton earlier in the year use Methonal powered 500cc Norton engines and smell devine as they go past. :D

Fair play to the chap in last picture would love to see what he had shot.

I like your images, only thing is 9 & 10 are a bit to static but still good shots.

Those "small cars" which look like the ones at Oulton earlier in the year use Methonal powered 500cc Norton engines and smell devine as they go past. :D

Fair play to the chap in last picture would love to see what he had shot.
Thank you for commenting Nick - yes I shot too many in aperture mode, I should have persevered with a slower shutter speed.
I noticed the smell when I came home and got into the shower, it had obviously clung to me! o_O
The disabled tog was swinging the kit around with ease, to take a picture he pressed the shutter with the left thumb over the top of the camera, adjusting the focus point with the little finger on his right hand ... as you see in the photo ... amazing!
Very nice set. Well done for your first go.
Thanks David. :)

#2 for me, even if it's just for the noise and smell they bring to mind! As Knikki says, they're (probably) Norton engines (although other makes were also used) running on Methanol with the smelly bit being Castrol "R", a Castor Oil lubricant (which had "unfortunate" side effects when breathed in by WW I pilots...)

Keep meaning to get up to CC for their Autumn Classic but keep failing to do so!

Nothing wrong there for a first timer. 4 & 5 show that you can deliver on the panning, but dont worry if you have a lot of shots to bin....none of us get it right every time. The angle in no.10 works fine for me, you just need to combine it with the slower shutter speed. The great thing these days is that you can just experiment at no cost other than time. Try different shutter speeds, angles, compositions etc, and just enjoy your photoggraphy.

Nothing wrong with any of these, and they're excellent for a first attempt. Some great composition in showing the wider event as well. For #6, since you've slightly cut the back of the car off, I'd be tempted to crop in tightly on the driver to show them hard at work but it's personal taste.

#2 for me, even if it's just for the noise and smell they bring to mind! As Knikki says, they're (probably) Norton engines (although other makes were also used) running on Methanol with the smelly bit being Castrol "R", a Castor Oil lubricant (which had "unfortunate" side effects when breathed in by WW I pilots...)

Keep meaning to get up to CC for their Autumn Classic but keep failing to do so!
I think they were the most interesting of the lot, real 'old-style racing' ... hence the mono conversion of these two guys pushing one toward the assembly point.

Push!

Nothing wrong there for a first timer. 4 & 5 show that you can deliver on the panning, but dont worry if you have a lot of shots to bin....none of us get it right every time. The angle in no.10 works fine for me, you just need to combine it with the slower shutter speed. The great thing these days is that you can just experiment at no cost other than time. Try different shutter speeds, angles, compositions etc, and just enjoy your photoggraphy.
Thanks for your useful insight, I spent too much time trying to get what I would consider a 'decent' shot for general photography that I seriously neglected to give enough attention (trial & error) to the fact that these subjects needed to reflect the speed associated with them. (y)

Nothing wrong with any of these, and they're excellent for a first attempt. Some great composition in showing the wider event as well. For #6, since you've slightly cut the back of the car off, I'd be tempted to crop in tightly on the driver to show them hard at work but it's personal taste.
Thank you for commenting ... a good point you make on #6.
I did find that I had a high number of shots where, although the car looked reasonably sharp, the driver looked blurred ... I wondered if this was him being shaken in the car?

Thank you for commenting ... a good point you make on #6.
I did find that I had a high number of shots where, although the car looked reasonably sharp, the driver looked blurred ... I wondered if this was him being shaken in the car?
Potentially yes, especially with older cars. Or the driver is moving in the car, turning the wheel etc which will also induce some blur. One of the great things about shooting historic motorsport is that the drivers are much more exposed than in a modern car, you can see them working.

Potentially yes, especially with older cars. Or the driver is moving in the car, turning the wheel etc which will also induce some blur. One of the great things about shooting historic motorsport is that the drivers are much more exposed than in a modern car, you can see them working.
Thank you for your insight. :)

A great set of images, Roger. I was planning to go to the event too but found myself at a family do instead :(

Back