Castleton, Peak District

Name
Dean
Edit My Images
No
Loving number 4 for the emphasis on sheer scale!
Good set overall too!

Thanks guys. I was lucky to be in the right place at the right time.

Great set. 1-4 especially pleasing. #1 the foregrounds slightly too dark for my taste and could do with the shadows lifting slightly. Strong compositions though. Very good.

Processing-wise I prefer no4. It looks natural and bright while having plenty of interest in the frame

No 1 and 2 have good potential, but I would prefer them in a tighter and square / landscape crop, mainly due to weak backgrounds. I'd probably go for a fairly long lens in those conditions. Also both need brightening up a fair bit.

No 4 for me. It is positively different.

Lovely sets! This are the conditions I'm aiming for the next time I visit Peak District! :)
Are these taken recently?

Last edited:
Fabulous set! Hoping to get up to the Peak District this weekend, but doubt my wife would appreciate a 3:30am start!

Processing-wise I prefer no4. It looks natural and bright while having plenty of interest in the frame

No 1 and 2 have good potential, but I would prefer them in a tighter and square / landscape crop, mainly due to weak backgrounds. I'd probably go for a fairly long lens in those conditions. Also both need brightening up a fair bit.

No 4 for me. It is positively different.

I must admit, those two could probably have done to be a bit brighter. I did the post processing on a laptop and subsequently learned that laptop screens tend not to be good for photo editing.
I did have a couple of other shots with different framing but weren't quite as keen on them...

Cloud Factory by DB 72, on Flickr

Cloud inversion at Mam Tor by DB 72, on Flickr

Lovely sets! This are the conditions I'm aiming for the next time I visit Peak District! :)
Are these taken recently?

No these weren't taken recently, it was in November 2015. I've just joined this site and needed to get some posts under my belt.
I think these conditions do happen occasionally at this time of year but it's much more likely in Autumn. I researched cloud inversions online after seeing this photo on Flickr and thought I must try to get to somewhere like that so I waited until the weather forecast looked like it may generate low level fog.

On Top of the World by Paul Taylor, on Flickr

There is also a website which predicts hill visibility/cloud levels but I can't remember what it's called.

Excellent set :)

Not been there for few years now myself, must get back.

Back