Yes
31869810203_68e8cf87b1_b.jpg

hi friend....you know my comment...crop the unwanted
there is a cat lady in paphos, cyprus as well...must find her portrait
she has loads of cat populations all over the city and feeds them everyday
they all look wild but will come over for a purr and some milk
cheers
geof

Afraid I agree with Geof, I think you could crop the left side quite drastically and the right side a little and still not lose the impact of the surroundings. As it stands the sheer amount of stuff to the left pulls your eye away from the woman and the off focus flag on the right is a bit off-putting.

Nicely processed picture though.;)

Her environment is the most interesting part of this shot. As a portrait she is distracted by the camera, away fom the cats.
Over all it works as it is.

Ian, as you invite your images to be edited, I've cropped your version to show a comparison ( I'll remove if you wish me to)

Imo, the cropped imqge takes away the life of the scene portraying the lady as nothing more than that, a portrait;

The original version tells a story of the lifestyle of the lady .....Well done!

31869810203_68e8cf87b1_b.jpg

TBH if the image were to be cropped, I'd want to lose about 10% on the LHS to remove the blurred leaves. Other than that, everything else is needed to tell the story.

I like this shot it shows the soul of her life a bit lonely

Geof I know what your saying and I think we have had this discussion before, and yes I could crop the environment out but to me that would mean the picture only tells part of this woman's story.

kf by mrcrow_uk, on Flickr

this is all i meant...nothing too drastic...i can see the point but know the camera always can format your shot for you...it will give you less if you dont have the lens to gather and too much if you are bound by the issue of its taking when less would do
the static eye is the best explanation of what the viewer needs to overlook the unsuccessful inclusions of the paralysis of the fixed format results..cropping is only a general way to over come this

:)

no worries....i bet there is a bit more not seen or taken that would also add to her 'story' environment but you would have had to step back a bit
honestly i think its fait accompli for us and that you never crop a shot...since you took it
well rock on kissfoto
be glad to see some other ones
cheers
geof

Last edited:
Ian, as you invite your images to be edited, I've cropped your version to show a comparison ( I'll remove if you wish me to)

Imo, the cropped imqge takes away the life of the scene portraying the lady as nothing more than that, a portrait;

The original version tells a story of the lifestyle of the lady .....Well done!

View attachment 95227

No problem with the crop but as you say it makes it nothing more than a portrait with the lady removed from her environment. I like to keep people in their surroundings when possible.

Back