Catbells Lightshow

Name
Stuart McGlennon
Edit My Images
No
Met up with a friend this morning to have a walk up Catbells, and having visited Ullswater the previous morning and been fortunate to witness some spectacular light and mist I was hoping for something similar today. Thankfully it didn't disappoint. Must say sorry to @alfbranch only got the message this morning when I got back, you missed a good one hope you got out somewhere else :(

I spent an age trying to get a decent composition of which these are the best I got. On reflection I wish I'd got the sky of no.1 with the composition of no.2 (hindsight is brilliant). The rolling mist across the valley in the distance and peeking up from behind the hills on the right was really lovely to witness.

Catbells Lightshow by Stuart McGlennon, on Flickr

Catbells Dawn by Stuart McGlennon, on Flickr

Both are quite nice color wise and I had the same though when I saw them the composition on No2 is better than No1 though the sky in No1 is stunning, next time, some great skill has gone into these :)

Lovely shots Stuart I wish I just got out of bed and come along anyway but I chose sleep as I was tired.

Sorry I've put this is in the wrong section could this be moved to landscapes critique and sharing? Thanks

Stuart I have reported the thread for you it will be moved faster when reported.

Very nice Stuart.

Slightly off topic, I didn't get to do cat bell when I was last in the lakes and want to do it. Just wondering a rough time to the summit from the car park near the Hawse end outdoor centre?

Very nice Stuart.

Slightly off topic, I didn't get to do cat bell when I was last in the lakes and want to do it. Just wondering a rough time to the summit from the car park near the Hawse end outdoor centre?
Thanks alot - I'd say to the summit probably about 45-50mins if you get your skates on, although to be honest I'm not convinced you get much better pictures from the summit, most of the ones I took yesterday were from 2/3's up. Depends how much of the ridge line and lake you want to include in the shot really

#2 for me. Lovely light and nice detail. I like the mist and dramatic clouds.

Me, @blondie606 @sirch & @Mat0tam spent a night wild camping there.....we didn't get the light you did :)

Cheers.
Thanks Andy yeah the weather gods were playing ball yesterday for sure.

Two fantastic images Stuart!
Cheers Kevin

Excellent light!!
And not a soul in sight which is unusual for Catbells :D

Well captured images Stuart with #2 just edging it for me

Mike
Thanks Mike - we passed a photographer on the way up although he seemed in something of an odd position for me, much lower down and didn't move the entire time we were there, I'm sure he'll have got some reasonable stuff but can't help thinking he was in the wrong place. Other than that yeah had the place to ourselves.

Thanks Stuart, much faster then I imagined. I'm next up that end in November so will give it a try.

These are both utterly superb. Two is the slightly better of the two very good compositions. There isn't a single thing I would have changed about either of them. My only crit, and its not a crit is with such still waters I might have gone lakeside for reflections but I am a reflection loving nutter.

Thanks Mike - we passed a photographer on the way up although he seemed in something of an odd position for me, much lower down and didn't move the entire time we were there, I'm sure he'll have got some reasonable stuff but can't help thinking he was in the wrong place. Other than that yeah had the place to ourselves.

Maybe the guy who took this https://flic.kr/p/LaBiDc

These are both utterly superb. Two is the slightly better of the two very good compositions. There isn't a single thing I would have changed about either of them. My only crit, and its not a crit is with such still waters I might have gone lakeside for reflections but I am a reflection loving nutter.

Another couple of crackers Stu.

On fire recently Stuart, 2nd one i my favourite.
Cheers guys much appreciated, a lovely morning to be up and about. If I couldn't get a decent image in light like that I'd want shot to be honest :LOL:

Aye that looks like him, nice enough panoramic mind, he must have had the one specific shot in mind for him not to move
I reckon he would have one shot in mind having met him once in wasdale and had a good crack with him and follow him on Flickr.

Nice shots mate, I really need to make the effort to drive 45 mins to the Lakes and not 3 hours to Glencoe....

I'm in agreement that number 2's composition with number 1's sky would be a total winner, but they're both superb captures.

Back