Catch 22 - What to do?

Name
Jason
Edit My Images
Yes
Afternoon Folks.

You do photography for a major bands gig and said band causes so much hysteria you don't post the images on your website / facebook or any other sites because people will just steel them or use them without credit or recognition. So what do you do? You want to show of your images because you think its probably some of your best work and it would be a shame for them never to see the light of day - but if you do post them you lose total control on where they are go from there. Of course you can watermark but that isnt going to stop anyone...

Anyone else had this as a predicament?

Cheers

I was going to say "If you can't sell them then what have you got to loose?" but then I thought you better check carefully the terms under which you took them, you don't want to end up with the band's/promoter's/venue's lawyers after you

Yeah exactly Chris. No, I cant sell them I'm afraid due to a contract which I was more than happy to sign prior to the the gig. I didnt shoot the band to sell them anyway but an exhibition may be possible - if we do it for charity... Im sure some of the other photographers would be up for that too.

Print them and just show them to people who really matter to you.

"For a typical author, obscurity is a far greater threat than piracy."

Tim O'Reilly

You want you images to be seen, but not stolen - then a copyright sign is perfect. Make it clear so that it is easy to see your name.

I could be wrong but I think there are huge fines for removing a copyright sign.

If they get shared, they could go viral and you will get the recognition because of your copyright sign.

people will steal them anyway , copyright or not

people will steal them anyway , copyright or not

and nobody reads copyright watermarks anyway. No recognition there then. If you release I think you have to accept they'll be used elsewhere. Decide if thats a big deal to you of not

I could be wrong but I think there are huge fines for removing a copyright sign.

That would depend entirely where in the world you are. In Europe, the copyright sign has no legal status at all.

its not removing the watermark that gets you in to bother, its violating the copyright watermark or not ... and in the Uk at least in most cases its a civil matter , ie the photographer sues you, not a crime

Drink a beer, lean back and show them! Nothing to loose, so it doesn't matter if some are shown in the net without your credits.

Maybe just show the bad ones. ;)

As crappy as it is, putting them online means they will get used by others with zero credit to you. The chavs of the world don't care about copyright and will happily post on Arsebook and instagram.

.You want to show of your images because you think its probably some of your best work and it would be a shame for them never to see the light of day ...
Save them, print them, keep them but do not "internet" them.
Years down the line make tons of money from these comtemporary unique photos of the band before they were even more famous.

What was the purpose of the shoot in the first place? Who were you shooting for, and what agreement did you have?

What damage do you think you will suffer from people potentially sharing the images without your permission? Is permission even yours to give, or did you sign it away? (It is music photography after all :D ).

There were other photographers there it seems, who were they shooting for, what have they done with their images, and have they gone gangbusters all over the internet?

What do you want to be the end use of the images (largely depending on the answer to the first question). Do you think you would gain much by posting them on your website or social media, or would you be better off holding them back for other uses down the line?

If they are as you say exhibition photos ,Well there is your answer .
.By the way who is the band ,
also have fun
the more you give the moe you get

Back