Catford CC and Bec CC hill climb photos

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
My Flickr sets for Catford climb and Bec CC.
The Catford climb on Yorks Hill in the morning was very dark under the trees and I had to set the iso to 800 to reduce the blurring and keep a faster shutter speed but the later ones at the Bec climb on White Lane were better.
I wanna faster lens and a speedlight :)
Click on the photo to go to the full set on flickr

Bec CC set here;

results here; http://www.catfordcc.co.uk/
cheers Steve

Taken with a Canon 400D and a Tamron 55-200 F4-5.6 lens.

Last edited:
No1 one is briliiant :clap:
The rest are good as well you can see the effort going in to the climb.
Like the colour effect in No5.
No 6 didn't work for me.

Thanks for the comments, number one is my favourite from the Catford hill climb as well Twentysixdays, I had quite a few where the faces were blurred and handlebars or shoulders in focus :bonk:

For an image of effort I liked this shot with his calf muscles straining.

fatphotograper, thanks for the suggestion on crops I might try that :)

That looks like fun to go along to. Might try and go to the next one! Know when it is?

PS Where in London r u Fixedwheelnut?

Our next Hill climb is 10th October 2010 10am start, the Bec CC have another in the afternoon further along the downs at Tandridge.
See the time trial website for details of events around the country;
Cycling Time Trials web

Our next event is the Hell of the Ashdown sportive on Sunday 31st January 2010 It sold out 1000 places within 36 hours of opening.
I am hoping it doesn't snow this year so I am warmer Marshalling and my camera batteries last longer :)

see the website below

http://www.catfordcc.co.uk/

I have pm my location

Dramitic bit of processing.
No2 is great (y)
I like the balance better in No2 - more subject, less background works better for me.

Dramitic bit of processing.
No2 is great (y)
I like the balance better in No2 - more subject, less background works better for me.

That's not in the processing, Only used PS to resize and sharpen the RAW file.

Canon 400d with 18-55mm kit lens
First 1/40s . f/10.0 . ISO 400 . 22 mm and flash firing
second 1/40s . f/6.3 . ISO 400 . 18 mm

The slow shutter speed creates the blur but the flash firing helps catch the subject, tip given to me by Mike King (y)
Takes some messing about with the exposure adjustment and you lose more than you catch but it's great when it works.

Last edited:

... slow shutter speed creates the blur but the flash firing helps catch the subject...QUOTE]

Ok my mistake ... as they are straight off the camera that makes them more impresive. :clap:
I don't quite understand how you achieved the curved blurring unless you are rotating the camera around an axis? ... always more for me to learn

... slow shutter speed creates the blur but the flash firing helps catch the subject...QUOTE]

Ok my mistake ... as they are straight off the camera that makes them more impresive. :clap:
I don't quite understand how you achieved the curved blurring unless you are rotating the camera around an axis? ... always more for me to learn

Cheers

The curve is probably where I was crouched low down on the steep hill and panning as they came past but moved up as well as sideways.
See the link to Mike Kings flickr page above in Hjwatso1's post and see his Hill climb sets he has this off to a T

Great images Steve, and thanks for the link to the video (superb technique and music), it brought back memories of pain and cold early morning starts.

Thanks for the comments, number one is my favourite from the Catford hill climb as well Twentysixdays, I had quite a few where the faces were blurred and handlebars or shoulders in focus :bonk:

Hi, I do a bit of cycling and triathlon stuff myself, and have experienced the same issue with bike handlebars. On 200-300mm zoom, and struggling with light it can be difficult when the bikes are at speed. I also found with my Nikon D300s it was an issue with the autofocus settings. If I was on a centre point focus and the cross hair happened to strike the handlebars, then the handlebars would be in perfect focus, but the rider sitting slightly further back would be just out of focus. Found the cure to be minimum shutter speed of 640, wider 11 point autofocus area, and let the ISO drift up if it needs more light.

Back