Caught at last!

Edit My Images
Yes
Having followed all the advice given on the forum following my previous attempt at "my" robin I managed to zoom in too close and the tip of his tail was chopped. Worth this afternoon's temperature to find that it is almost my reflection in his eye!

Robin-close.jpg

Good lord that's close!

Thats worlds apart from the one you posted a couple of weeks ago, what a difference!!!

It would still benefit from a slight sharpening though and the detail is there to really make it jump out.

I am sure that you think the afternoon was well spent to get such a great result?

I was told off here a few days back for over sharpening but will have a go to see how it looks.

Thanks for all your support, examples and advice out there which makes me try harder. Like Automaton2's post, I am trying to take at least one picture that I am happy with a day.

Is he mooning or just making a getaway? Pushed the sharpening until I thought the noise was becoming a bit fierce.
mooningrobinsharp1vc.jpg

Anyone please have a go to show how it should be done!:snap2:

nice piccy.

here's a go at the sharpening for you:

robinclose5gs.jpg

i just used the tpf actions, sharpen for web and remove digital haze :)

the fisrt one is nice the second is a bit of a bum shot:whistle2:

noah - I've found it and applied to "a bum shot" in the same way. It certainly adds punch. Thanks!

Did you have a perch gaffer taped to the front of your lens for the 1st shot :suspect1: .

Never tried sharpening a Robins bum before :innocent:

RobinsArse.jpg

This is full frame - just levels and sharpened. About 3ft away.
114318866_d3cf89a50d.jpg

Fangman said:
Is he mooning or just making a getaway? Pushed the sharpening until I thought the noise was becoming a bit fierce.
mooningrobinsharp1vc.jpg

Anyone please have a go to show how it should be done!:snap2:

Mate, this is soooo oversharpened that its not even worth attempting to fix!!!! You see all that speckly white noise? That's been added by the sharpening!

If you want someone to show you how much sharpening this image could take then you need to post a completely UNsharpened version, you can't easily rescue an image once the damage is done.

:)

As requested - No processing or sharpening just cropped and resised and saved for web. May your wits be sharp! I would be grateful to know your methods (methodology for those who consider themselved educated)
untouchedbum8og.jpg

first one's a cracker :)

Fangman said:
This is full frame - just levels and sharpened. About 3ft away.
114318866_d3cf89a50d.jpg

You really don't need to get any closer than this if this is full frame, in fact if I were you I'd now back off a little, either less zoom or increase the distance. Try to include the whole bird and think a little bit more about where you're placing your birds in the frame and the overall picture.

I actually much prefer the above shot to your cropped version, if you'd left just a little more space around your robin it would have been even better. You've obviously got the technique well cracked now, but just don't be so intent on getting closer, start thinking about the big picture. :thumb:

Learnt my lesson - see today's post! Thanks for interest and help.

dod said:
first one's a cracker :)

It's not, it looks like a bird to me. :D

I do weddings, bah miztvahs, hen nights.....

Back