Caught Sunbathing Too ... Dont Look Min!

InaGlo

TPer Emerita
Name
Glo
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok, so here are my Flutterbys...
Im pretty pleased with the focus on the pale one ... anyone know what it is, it was a real small one, sort of cornflower blue when the wings were open.
I think the other is a Painted Lady (it prob isnt now Ive guessed aloud, lol!)
This one Im not so pleased with, I seem to have lost the head somewhere and it just all looks like brown fluff, lol!
Will try again with CT's tips & hope I get some better ones of the Painted... err, the colourful one!

Picture-268777-web-1.jpg

Picture-268748-web.jpg

Those are fantastic! Here was me expecting to see really crappy shots from all you've been saying, and they're far from that. The depth of field in these shots is what you get with macro unless you use very small apertures

The only way you're going to get these guys sharp from front to back is to use a smaller aperture Gloria, which means upping the ISO or using flash.

I tend to focus on the antenna thingies at the front. I do this manually, but that's far easier to do on a tripod. You'll never do that with AF as the antennas are too thin and the AF system will hunt back and forth getting confused by the background which is also in the AF rectangle.

Try working from a little further way which will give you a better DOF. :)

That last one is a Peacock Butterfly btw. One of the few I know! :shrug:

Thanks peeps!

CT, Ive had exactly the probs youve mentioned, Ill get a tripod in the next couple of weeks and see how much better I can do with your suggestions ... suppose Ill be wanting flash after that, lol!
Meantime Ill up the ISO and stay further back, which should be a whole lot easier anyway.
Thanks for the ID ... tut! Painted Lady indeed! (wheres the embarrassed emoticon when you need one!) :bonk:

first one is excellent! second isnt half bad either, but the first is very good

My advice, forget AF and practice manual focus. AF will get you in the right place but it will never get the sweet spot. Remember you don't have to shoot bugs to practice your focus technique, anything will do.

You can make the most of the shallow DoF by shooting from above or the side:

141037754_9b784301f7_o.jpg

f/8, 1/200s, ISO320

I find a mono with ball head easier for bugs as its quicker and easier to set up ...

Good advice all round Gloria. Manual Focus is the way to go, but you do need a stable platform, and generally speaking...we aint it! ;)

Make double sure you have the viewfinder dioptre adustment set bang on for your eyesight either with or without specs - whichever is your preference. Get the LED info in the viewfinder as sharp as you can. You really need the viewfinder set up right for manual focus on these tiny details.

This will help with your identification.

http://www.britishbutterflies.co.uk/2006/home.asp

Two superb shots InaGlo ... stunning detail ... very well captured ... (y) ... like them both much ... :p

The first one is a Holly Blue (Celastrina argiolus) and ... believe it or not my butterfly book was actually bookmarked on the very page ... weird ... :eek:

As CT says the other is a Peacock ... and is another lovely capture ... :clap:

Well done and TFS ... :p

Back