"Cause" a Splash

Name
Darryl
Edit My Images
Yes
Another image taken from St Marys Lighthouse in Northumberland.

I wanted to try and capture the water movement splashing across the causeway as the tide came in, I think you might agree that I have done just that and this has become one of my personal favourite images since I started in photography. In both colour and mono

Please feel free to comment
Regards
Darryl

StMarysCauseway-resharpened.jpg

St-Marys-Causeway-mono.jpg

Very nice shot! What shutter speed there? About half a second?

One thing I would say is get the horizon level (it's only slightly off though) ;)

like the coluor one best. how do you get the coluor of the water to look like that, see this alot but i dont no how to do it :crying:

I'd be tempted to get the camera lower, introduce more of the railing into the frame, widen the angle and try and get the lighthouse to be on the left topmost third of the frame, with more foreground interest. The sea is beautiful, and you've captured it amazingly, but I just think the background is lacking a bit.

Edit: Looking at it again, I'd just put the camera lower down. The rest is fine (y)

Last edited:
Well they're nice. I like them both and can't decide which is better. I agree with FP, maybe a little lower and tweak the horizon to level and you've got a couple of keepers there.
What a fantastic location as well. I imagine that it must get quite hairy living on that little rock in the winter.

Andy

I can just understand why you think the horizon isnt level, but take it from me it is.... the rising waves to the right of the lighthouse make it look uneven but the camera was levelled using a hotshoe level, so is perfectly straight :D

What shutter speed there? About half a second?

ISO100
24mm
F/16@0.6"

What a guess :D

I can just understand why you think the horizon isnt level, but take it from me it is.... the rising waves to the right of the lighthouse make it look uneven but the camera was levelled using a hotshoe level, so is perfectly straight :D

I've just put it into lightroom and it's showing that it is definately off by about -0.5 degrees. I knew it wasn't far off but on a perfectly flat horizon it is noticeable. You can only get so close with a hot-shoe level ;)

To be honest it's probably insignificant but my eye looks at these things straight away just from criticising my own work :bang::bang:

It does not look quite straight to me either.

I know the look is intentional but it is all a bit too soft looking for my taste.

Everyone has their own tastes mate, I appreciate the comment,

many thanks
Darryl

Back