Caving Selfie

Name
Duncan
Edit My Images
Yes
I wanted to try out some new camera gear, and ended up being my own model.
Setting up the shot was a complete mare as it was non-trivial to get back to the camera, shooting with models is far easier!
Shot with my trusty 5DIII and 24-105 using an IR remote release.
Stopping the lens down to keep everything sharp has produced a cracking flare from my head torch.

The Under and Over Obstacle in the Swildons 1 streamway.
Love to hear your 2p :)
20150517-151410-I39A8608-Merged-L.jpg

Would be interested to see or hear about you lighting setup ?
Nice pic !
Cheers Ceejay

Cheers Ceejay :)
Behind the ledge there was an LED floodlight pointed towards the camera plus a 2000lumen dive light fitted with a diffuser to light the distance. One of these has a yellow cast which I need to do some more testing with.
There is an LED video light in the middle distance to light me; the bag keeping it waterproof is showing slightly, oops.
Another LED video light level with me on the left is illuminating the foreground.
You can't see it, but there is a small dive light in the pool under the ledge; it looked peachy from other angles but is adding nothing here. Normally I'd have the model moving lights around for me so I can see how they are contributing to the scene, but this solo shooting is quite a lot harder to set up.

Yes it is a lot of lights!
Although I've learned a heck a lot about lighting as part of this project, I've still a long way to go.
I'm building towards photographing the UK's largest underground chamber, Frozen Deep in Reservoir Hole. Been for a reccie and have a few shots in mind, but the only thing for certain is that it is going to be unbelievably difficult.

That's a super image, love the colours and the balance.
You wouldn't get me down there with a disposable camera, let alone your kit.
Respect!

Now THAT is amazing! Much respect!

Much, MUCH rather thee than me, Duncan!

Cheers everyone!
It's not 'that' bad down there. A bit tight to lug my bag through the entrance series, but the main streamway is fine.
Here's a link to a video made by a band we took down a month ago; it shows the tight bits really well.
https://www.facebook.com/TheDrystones/videos/868532526523362/
My camera bag is the big heavy yellow object being passed up the group at one point; I did all that solo yesterday - it used to just about kill me, but I've got a lot better at it :)

Excellent image with some nice colours, particularly when you know the amount of effort going into the shot. As others have said....respect for going down there.

Watched the video......the end is brilliant:clap:

Spectacular, and worth the effort. The backlit misty breath is particularly satisfying.
I'd love to see it really large; it's actually quite busy at forum viewing size.
I'd tone down the brightness of the rock face on the right hand. And then I'd probably find it hard not to start fiddling in all sorts of little ways to no particularly useful end.

The project as a whole looks epic. I hope you're planning on printing these?

Cheers Juggler!
I think you are right.... I have the underexposed shots from the exposure bracketing and can easily tweak the brightness in different parts of the image. In my defence, this was a quick and dirty edit straight after the trip so I could show people down the pub the same day.

You can see a larger version on my Flickr account as well as another one from the same trip that seems to have got a very favourable response, probably becasue the lighting is a bit more dramatic.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/130845821@N08/

It is a good photo with lots of detail and I know it is a difficult balance to strike but personally I find it a bit over lit. It is nice sometimes to see these places well lit but for me it is nothing like it would be if I was there, in "real life" there would be a lot more shadow and more of a sense of mystery and a kind of "into the unknown" feel.

Nail - head - hit :)
I think that's why people seem to prefer this other one taken on the same trip.
20150517-132211-I39A8403-Merged-L.jpg

Meanwhile - I'm just back from reccying two caves reckoned to be amongst the prettiest in the country - Shatter Cave and Withyhill Cave in Fairy Cave Quarry.
Very very impressive - can't wait to get down there with a camera!

I did the Swildons short rond trip on Saturday.... Was fun till 2 got stuck in the sqeeze... - not me - lol... Made in to sump 2 then out.

LOL - can't have missed you by much as these photos were taken on Sunday.
The 'not the birthday squeeze' on the short round trip is my benchmark for other caves; I only just made it through after forcing myself to relax and breathing out. Swildons 2 streamway is one of my favourite bits of cave; never a hardship to go there despite numerous visits.
I failed to get through the Fairy Cave squeeze into Cambridge Grotto, not because of my chest, but my legs were too long. I'll give that another try once I get more experienced as I'd like to see the Red Room. I'm told Blue Pencil Passage in Swildons will give me a similar problem and most cavers seem to be advising me that I probably won't fit but that it is worth having a look.
Today's squeeze was the entrance to Green Lake Chamber in Withyhill Cave, actually quite fun; it is short and tight with me first thinking it wasn't going to go, then a subtle twist of my hips and POP I was through. Green Lake Chamber - WOW !!!!

I was first through - went head first - took about 15 seconds - been in tighter gaps - lol

Spectacular, and worth the effort. The backlit misty breath is particularly satisfying.
I'd love to see it really large; it's actually quite busy at forum viewing size.
I'd tone down the brightness of the rock face on the right hand. And then I'd probably find it hard not to start fiddling in all sorts of little ways to no particularly useful end.

The project as a whole looks epic. I hope you're planning on printing these?
A quiet mo before going out later, so I thought I'd give it a tweak.
Definitely improved and the image now has a different feel. The change is more dramatic than I expected.
I'm sharing so you can see for yourselves.
20150517-151410-I39A8608-Merged-2-L.jpg

Back