CC please

Edit My Images
Yes
I've often said that I don't shoot people but there is always an exception, isn't there?

A good mate of mine, Richard is (amongst other things) an author. He is about to have some of his work published and wanted an authors mugshot for the back cover.
Obviously because of my reasonable proficiency at capturing cars howling past I was the first choice for photographer. Or was it because I own a camera and will work for beer? :shrug:

The literary work consists of a collection of ghost stories so the shoot was themed to suit. We decided it would be a laugh to shoot him in a smoking jacket and cravat, in an armchair in front of his brick fireplace. In a sort of Tales from the Crypt style. Then I did a couple of low key head and shoulders shots, with a variety of sinister expressions. It was actually a great laugh.

This is my first attempt at this stuff, please tell me what you think of the shots and styles in this selection.

Book3webcopy.jpg

This one was a bit of a misunderstanding.
I said he would have to buy me chinese food after the shoot was over.
He thought I said "Give me Fu Manchu".
FuManchuwebcopy.jpg

This is one we like to call "I've Farted"
fartedwebcopy.jpg

I tried a few processed in sepia.
lowkey1Sepiawebcopy.jpg

lowkeywebcopy.jpg

OK, give me "Here's Johnny"
HeresJohnnywebcopy.jpg

And the one which we think is the best candidate.
"Not around the eyes"
notaroundtheeyeswebcopy.jpg

They look very self conscious, obviously posed pics, although they're getting better towards the end, but look at that huge nose shadow across the left of his face in the mono shots. Don't worry - everyone makes these mistakes, but you need to learn to look for these things.

The guy seems to be projecting himself as he'd like to be seen rather than like he is. Your job as the tog is to capture the latter version. He needs to look a lot more relaxed and natural I reckon. :)

They look very self conscious, obviously posed pics, although they're getting better towards the end, but look at that huge nose shadow across the left of his face in the mono shots. Don't worry - everyone makes these mistakes, but you need to learn to look for these things.

Thank you CT point taken. This was the first shoot where I've used the wireless flash for a portrait and I should have seen that. It's so much easier with continuous lighting :bonk:

The guy seems to be projecting himself as he'd like to be seen rather than like he is. Your job as the tog is to capture the latter version. He needs to look a lot more relaxed and natural I reckon. :)

I agree to a point, but this is effectively an advertising photo, not a family portrait. I probably gave the wrong impression with the goofing around shots but, the product being scary stories and Richard being about as scary as Shaun the Sheep in real life, a bit of acting was required.
The client really liked the shot so I've PP'd it. We think it works better now. You may not agree ;)
Thanks for the help.

notaroundtheeyes-PPwebcopy.jpg

Well if he likes it you've cracked the job. :D

Seriously that is the best shot of the bunch, and I take your point about it being a cover shot rather than a 'serious' portrait.

It's only natural that people who aren't used to sitting get giggly and start arsing about, in fact you might as well get those shots out of the way, until your sitter starts feeling more comfortable and relaxed.

In all honesty it's a nice low key shot and widening the nose shadow does help.

Is it a ghost story he's writing? ;)

Back