'CD' error on Nikon D3

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
No
Hi all

Just a quick question - it may only apply to Nikon D3/D3x users but I maybe wrong.

Recently when out on shoots or in the studio, the D3 has been shooting fine then all of a sudden give me a 'CD' error in the view finder. Look at the LCD on the top or back and the card indicator is flashing - saying its full. These cards are extreme 4 2GB's...I've formatted all cards in camera and majority (extreme 3's and 4's) have the issues. It's not shooting on high FPS ...shooting in all formats has the same error. Ejecting the card seems to cure it for a random period of time (seconds to days) but it comes back again.

Soo....

Camera issue or card issue. Have my cards been hammered into the ground? Seems to happen on all cards though....

Latest firmware is installed too. :bang:

How old are your cards?

What write speed are they?

Mine are 4gb Sandisk Extreme III 30MB/s - no problems at all, even on hectic shoots. They aren't even expensive cards, and much cheaper than 10 rolls of Velvia!

Range from 2 years old to a couple of months. Everything from Ultra 2's to Extreme 4's.
I'm only shooting single shot - maybe 2-3 shots per minute in the studio :)

It seems to be a problem that's been around since the days of the D1, but no real answers anywhere as to what causes it. It would be worth buying a new card and seeing if the problem is still there.

Back