CD with a Splog

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
No
CD used for the background and captured the refracted light in the water! .. red water dripped into dark blue!

4078910168_d422a4c9e4.jpg

This is simply beautiful. Nice to see some variation from the standard photo of a water drop. I'd love a slightly more in-depth explanation of how you achieved this!

Brilliant as always!! I've been playing with different backgrounds for some of my macros and I've found holographic wrapping paper works well, refracts plenty of light and provides some great colours.

Carl

thats give me some inspiration to do some 'propper' ones now! brilliant!

Simply beautiful Steve :clap: Right mate now I will set you a challenge as you are just so damn good at this :) Have you seen the Smirnoff advertising campaign by Martin Vaugh.
Here is a link: \Martin Vaugh's Smirnoff Ad I think you will manage it easily but would be great to see your lend on it. Hope you don't mind me setting you a challenge. ;)

Thanks everyone :)

Simply beautiful Steve :clap: Right mate now I will set you a challenge as you are just so damn good at this :) Have you seen the Smirnoff advertising campaign by Martin Vaugh.
Here is a link: \Martin Vaugh's Smirnoff Ad I think you will manage it easily but would be great to see your lend on it. Hope you don't mind me setting you a challenge. ;)

Thanks Alby :) Now that is a challenge! :eek: and one which I will certainly have a very serious attempt at :D

Steve

phwor! thats a really cool effect, fantastic set of colours!

Vi x

This is awesome. I have a competition coming up for my local camera club and would love to do something half as good as this.

This is simply beautiful. Nice to see some variation from the standard photo of a water drop. I'd love a slightly more in-depth explanation of how you achieved this!

:plus1:

Thanks everyone :)

Thanks Alby :) Now that is a challenge! :eek: and one which I will certainly have a very serious attempt at :D

Steve

Good on yer Steve, I couldn't even get close to what you are producing lately Mate. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with ;)

Thanks everyone (y)

Loving the rainbow against black colors. Great shot!!!

Saw this on your flikr too.. very VERY cool :clap:

I don't know how you do it! :shrug:

Cracking shot! Love the colour and innovative background!

Thanks again everyone for looking (y) and many thanks for the kind comments :)

hi steve a great shot what settings did you use

MT24EX at 1/32 power on both heads fired at CD from front left and above, behind right. shot only captured by reflected light. ISO200, 1.6 secs exposure, F16, Canon EOS50D with EF180L. Taken in a darkened area

steve

Last edited:
I love it and tried this with a cd myself today but did not get the reflections I wanted. I also tried your shutter speed and got some very peculiar results. I think I prefer 1/60th to 1/125 shutter speed using my macro ring flash at 32 or 64.

Im having another attempt tomorrow, so can I pick your brains?
What angle is the cd at? Is it directly behind the drop, any chance you could take a photograph of the set up?
I tried drops from a bag today but got no collisions, I will try a different type of bag tomorrow with different sized holes again. Ive also tried drops from a syringe, by hand, but Ive no chance of collisions with that method. I'm determined to crack this in the next few days, do you have any tips?

I love it and tried this with a cd myself today but did not get the reflections I wanted. I also tried your shutter speed and got some very peculiar results. I think I prefer 1/60th to 1/125 shutter speed using my macro ring flash at 32 or 64.

Im having another attempt tomorrow, so can I pick your brains?
What angle is the cd at? Is it directly behind the drop, any chance you could take a photograph of the set up?
I tried drops from a bag today but got no collisions, I will try a different type of bag tomorrow with different sized holes again. Ive also tried drops from a syringe, by hand, but Ive no chance of collisions with that method. I'm determined to crack this in the next few days, do you have any tips?

Any chance of a reply?

Patience, patience ... ;) Been away for the weekend and just got back :) Anyway,

The CD was at about 90 degs to the water and about 6 inches behind but twisted untill I got the light on the water where I wanted it .

The best method I've found for consitency of drops and accuracy of timing is to use the nozzles you get with those cake decorating icing syringes coupled to a marriote syphon set up.
The power or duration of the flash will depend on the individual flashgun and 1/64 - 1/32 works best on my MT24EX. You really need to aim for the shortest duration of flash that you can achieve.

Why not post up a picture and lt us see what you mean by strange results :thinking:

I hope this helps and thanks everyone for your comments (y)
Steve

Thank you so much Steve, much appreciated.
I will post a few, but to be honest they're not good.

Back