CF card for a 7D

Skyline

Emmet Brickowski
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
I wont be taking 1,000's of pictures at a time so 8gb will be more than enough.

What's a good cf card that will work well with the Canon 7D. Asking as I've never bought a cf card before so this is new to me.

Any links to genuine sellers would be appreciated.

On my 7D I was quite happy using the Sandisk Ultra 30Mb/s cards in 8Gb

I rarely shot more than 3 frames at a time but could sometimes get through a lot of frames in a short period. Never locked out.

Yes there are faster cards but the extra they cost really was of no benefit to me.

Amazon sell the 60mb/s Sandisk cards at reasonable prices. The 8MB one is only 22.70 at the moment. I've got the 16GB ones and they're perfect.

Worth spending that little bit extra than the cost of budget cards. I use Sandisk Ultra and I have never had a problem. That said I don't machine gun it very often. Like RichardtheSane I rarely shoot more than 3/4 shots in a row and the 7D buffer will manage that no problem. However if I ever did need to machine gun it I want to be sure that the card is up to the job. Cards are not that expensive nowadays so the difference between budget and decent cards is only a few pounds. When compared to the cost of the camera and lens it seems silly to try to save a couple of pounds here.

If you are not shooting a lot and doesn't require CF card's fast write speeds, why not get a SD card and a CF-SD converter?

That way, you can use your existing SD cards and any modern PC will have SD card reader.

Hi Dave,

Take a look at the range of cards Sandisk offer. Can't go wrong with any of their cards to be honest.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Ext...3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1363617255&sr=1-3

Thank you. I did look there. 8gb is Temporarily out of stock.

Seb

Looks good. I'll keep that page open for the mo.

On my 7D I was quite happy using the Sandisk Ultra 30Mb/s cards in 8Gb

I rarely shot more than 3 frames at a time but could sometimes get through a lot of frames in a short period. Never locked out.

Yes there are faster cards but the extra they cost really was of no benefit to me.

There will be times when I will be shoot 10-15 shots in one go. Would this card be ok?

^
very good point!

:)

Amazon sell the 60mb/s Sandisk cards at reasonable prices. The 8MB one is only 22.70 at the moment. I've got the 16GB ones and they're perfect.

8MG Temporarily out of stock.

Worth spending that little bit extra than the cost of budget cards. I use Sandisk Ultra and I have never had a problem. That said I don't machine gun it very often. Like RichardtheSane I rarely shoot more than 3/4 shots in a row and the 7D buffer will manage that no problem. However if I ever did need to machine gun it I want to be sure that the card is up to the job. Cards are not that expensive nowadays so the difference between budget and decent cards is only a few pounds. When compared to the cost of the camera and lens it seems silly to try to save a couple of pounds here.

Agreed

If you are not shooting a lot and doesn't require CF card's fast write speeds, why not get a SD card and a CF-SD converter?

That way, you can use your existing SD cards and any modern PC will have SD card reader.

A converter on ebay is £25, unless I'm looking at the wrong thing.

There will be times when I will be shoot 10-15 shots in one go. Would this card be ok?

The number of shots a 7D can shoot in a burst is independant of the card speed. No matter what card you'll be able to blam off around 22 raw images or eleventyeleven jpegs at the full 8 fps.

Get a name-brand card between 30 and 60 MB/s and it will work wonderfully well. Don't get a CF-SD converter, it will be unimaginably slow and unreliable.

The number of shots a 7D can shoot in a burst is independant of the card speed. No matter what card you'll be able to blam off around 22 raw images or eleventyeleven jpegs at the full 8 fps.

Get a name-brand card between 30 and 60 MB/s and it will work wonderfully well. Don't get a CF-SD converter, it will be unimaginably slow and unreliable.

After I started this thread I had to go to Asda. While in there I asked if they have and cf cards. They had one left. I took it knowing if it was no good I could return it and get the 8gb of the 16gb everyone is saying is the best (Why is the 16 better that the 8 any way? Apart from how many pics it holds.)

I picked up this one for £17.99. If it isn't that good I get the one from Amazon.

Will this do the job?

Thanks everyone for the help.

SDCFH-008G-U46_2.jpg

I have some Transcend x400 cards, not expensive and have given me zero problems.

I have a sandisk card for my phone and its a royal pain in the arse. Wouldn't buy another.

Sanndisk, Lexar, Trancsend, Delkin,

Just take your pick, I've used them all on a 1D without any noticeable difference. Sandisk are often recommended, but they're no better than other from well known companies, they just spent more money on promoting themselves.

Sanndisk, Lexar, Trancsend, Delkin,

Just take your pick, I've used them all on a 1D without any noticeable difference. Sandisk are often recommended, but they're no better than other from well known companies, they just spent more money on promoting themselves.

This SanDisk seem to get all the love to the extent that is has become a bit of a self perpetuating myth that they are the only good cards. I'm very happy with my 4 8gb lexar cards in my 5d mkii

For genuine SanDisk cards, Amazon (not the marketplace!), 7dayshop, mymemory or the high street. e-Bay is full of fakes but does have a very good guide on how to spot them - just Google ebay sandisk fakes.

Don't get a CF-SD converter, it will be unimaginably slow and unreliable.

None of my CF-SD adapters has had any problem what so ever, always just worked reliably every single time. Not sure where you got your sources from.

Speed wise, of course it can't compete with CF cards. But it makes up in convenience and price.

Anyone notice that on the Sanndisk Technical Details (on amazon) it says...
Up to 60MB/s read/write speed based on SanDisk internal testing: performance may vary.

Is it just me or is that a bit vague?

Anyone notice that on the Sanndisk Technical Details (on amazon) it says...
Up to 60MB/s read/write speed based on SanDisk internal testing: performance may vary.

Is it just me or is that a bit vague?

I guess it's there to stop legal action from morons who would otherwise complain that they only get 2MB/s when used in their USB1 card reader. Or only get 53MB/s when used in their 7D. Or who get 83MB/s read speed in the ExpressCard reader:)

I guess it's there to stop legal action from morons who would otherwise complain that they only get 2MB/s when used in their USB1 card reader. Or only get 53MB/s when used in their 7D. Or who get 83MB/s read speed in the ExpressCard reader:)

I bought one of those card readers when I got the cf card yesterday from Asda. 6 quid. Every little helps, oops, wrong shop. What a Morrisons I am :tumbleweed:

Unless I'm missing your point, a 7D does not have an SD card slot :)

It's CF only.

Unless I'm missing your point, a 7D does not have an SD card slot :)

It's CF only.

CF-SD adapter, insert SD card into it, then insert it into camera CF slot.

I think the bottom line is... don't get a Eye-Fi Pro X2 :LOL:

Cheers for the link.

Funny enough, same is said for 5D2, but I am using original 8GB eye-fi pro x2 without problem on my 5D2. Single shot only though, 2 shots without it finish writing would be pushing my luck

Just another make to throw in is Kingston 16GB Ultimate 266x CompactFlash, good reliable cards at low prices.

Back