cf card format

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello, for some reason my pc is unable to complete a format on my compact flash card. I have also tried to format several other cards but the pc will not format them.
Could anyone shed any light on this matter for me pleaase. Up until today I have been formatting without any problems.
Thanks.

I'd be extremely reluctant to let my PC format my CF cards. Huge potential for something to go wrong there.

I know that doesn't answer your question, but I'd strongly recommend you always format them 'in-camera'.

And should you try doing that, are you still having problems?

:agree:

its widely recognised that you should format in-camera i would abandon trying it on a pc

CF cards format in Fat 32, your PC might be trying to format in NTFS.

Thanks for the quick replies, much appreciated.
I read somewhere when I first got the camera that to reset the count etc I would be best off formatting in pc and then in camera, I have done this for the last couple of years :(
I have just formatted the card in the camera, no problem at all.
I shall in future always format in the camera.
Just out of interest, I use lightroom and have it set to move photos to a new location etc in the import section, I I presume this removes any pictures completely from the card, so have no real reason to format in the pc at all.
I do have the format settings to Fat32 :)
Thanks again, cleared that up in no time :)

T
Just out of interest, I use lightroom and have it set to move photos to a new location etc in the import section, I I presume this removes any pictures completely from the card, so have no real reason to format in the pc at all.
For the sake of your peace of mind and sanity, do not let anything other than you be in control of removing the images from your CF card or formatting it.

Let LR import them but choose the 'Copy photos to a new location' option rather than the 'Move'. You don't want anything to go wrong during that process and find that your images are lost or corrupted and your CF has knackered itself in the process.

Once you know your images are where they are supposed to be, format the CF card in-camera. Better safe than sorry, eh?

All advice taken onboard and shall be put into practice.

You can set up the reset count option on your camera It should be under file numbering in the "yellow" menu

Back