CF card issues

Matt

TPer Emeritus
Name
matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Ny 512mb CF card is messing me about, its full, ive managed to get about all but 50 images off, but it comes up with Incorrect parameter error on some images, any idea whats wrong and how i can fix it, also, whats the best cf card utility?

First port of call is the manufacturers website as most of them seem to offer utilities for rescuing data.

I'll do some more research in the meantime to see if I can find any freeware apps that might help.

Image Rescue by Lexar seems to be the most popular bought application and works with most types/manufacturers of cards.

EDIT:
Here's the first free one I found called Zero Assumption Recovery Tool

thanks Bachs,

ive found a few pay solutions, but there must be a freeware one somewhere, the card manufacturer linked to a pay solution

Hi EosD, funnily enough, after our trip to the Wirral the other night, I have encountered my first CF error.

I got all my images off (RAW) no problem, except one file (well, two, the THM and the CRW), the thumbnail copied over fine, but the CRW got halfway along, and then hung explorer. Every time.

Windows kept giving me the error of "Cannot copy CRW_4024.CRW, the path is too deep". (Not the exact number).

I did have a look at the thumbnail though, and decided that I wasn't that bothered, (by looking at a few shots either side I realised it was a series of angles that didn't really work, luckily).

I reformatted in the camera and so far seems fine.

Just thought I'd share my experiences, and basically hijack your thread :D

I came across this article in July's Digital Camera Magazine. people may be aware but here it is -

"Lost shots for Lexar & Canon

Lexar CompactFlash cards and Canon DSLRs are in need of firmware upgrades after users report images disappearing from memory.

Leading memory card manufacturer Lexar and camera giant Canon have both issued warnings to DSLR owners using CompactFlash cards after customers reported the disappearance of images. Some owners of Canon's EOS 1 Ds Mark II and EOS 1D Mark 11 have found that a press of the Display button immediately after shooting in RAW+JPEG mode causes the cameras to lock up and lose all the images in the buffer. Meanwhile, Lexar Professional 80x-speed CompactFlash cards, in rare circumstances, have a tendency to lose images when used with the EOS IDs Mark 11, EOS 1D Mark 11, EOS 20D and EOS 350D.

Both companies are issuing firmware updates to overcome the problem but, in the meantime, Canon advises EOS IN Mark II and ID Mark 11 users to ensure the access lamp has gone out before activating Display. If the camera does lock up, removing and re-inserting the battery will get it going again. See www.lexar.com/ support and www.canon.co.uk/support if you're a Canon DSLR owner suffering bad memory."

Edit - EosD, noticed you have a 300 so it shouldn't apply.

regards

i managed to get all but one last night, i will have a look at these solutions later

thanks guys

ok ive given that a whirl, 135 piccies recovered,

now what can i do to check the card for damage?

Back