CF card reader question

LongLensPhotography

Th..th..that's all folks!
Name
LongLensPhotography
Edit My Images
No
I have just bought my first reader (don't really need it as I tend to use cables)

It works well with my SD cards and 4GB CF card, but 8GB Transcend 600x CF is not recognised. P.s. iPad can also talk to it with the exception of 8GB.

It is one of those cheap ebay all in one jobs. Is this usual, and is there any way to fix it?

Had the same problem once with cheapo reader. Would read some cards but not others. Eventually bought a decent branded one and all works well now.

Your CF card is almost certainly UDMA, which a reader needs to support. If you google "UDMA card reader" you should find plenty of reasonably cheap ones that work. You need to know if you've got USB 2 or 3 on your PC as many readers these days are USB 3.

Will a udma reader be faster or just allow UDMA cards to work?

Your CF card is almost certainly UDMA, which a reader needs to support. If you google "UDMA card reader" you should find plenty of reasonably cheap ones that work. You need to know if you've got USB 2 or 3 on your PC as many readers these days are USB 3.

Thanks for that.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320771543...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_3123wt_1344 - that's the one I bought
The 8GB is UDMA, the 4GB is also v. recent and is 300x or 400x from memory.

my MBP definitely doesn't have usb3.

USB is backwards compatible, so a USB3 device will work on USB2 and USB. Even USB2 is likely way faster than the transfer speed of your card, so there's almost no point in choosing a USB3 one over anything else.

Had same problem. Moved up to Sandisk 16gb 600x cards and reader threw its teddy out. Bought a quality Belkin reader and no problems at all. Not a techno geek so have no idea why. But my Belkin FSU249 read`s everything I put in it.

Back