CF card recommendations for Canon 5D Mk II

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I bought a couple of Lexar 16Gb 800x CF cards for my 5D2, but the camera doesn't seem to like them. I've had one bad write on one, and with both I've had Err02 (replace external media) when transferring images out of the camera with the EOS utility.

Can anyone tell me if these should be ok, or recommend another type, please?

Thanks,
Iain

Those cards should be fine.

Downloading from the camera? There are other links in the chain that could fail. Personally I only connect the camera to update the info as it's quicker than using the interface on cam. Images are always downloaded via a quality card reader.

As Phil says the cards should be ok IF they are genuine Lexar. Where did you get them? The bay has been known to provide cheap copy cards so that could one explanation. If they came from a reputable supplier then you will have to look for the problem else where.

Yeah, I was wondering if they could be fakes. I got them from Amazon, but that's no guarantee of course.

Thanks for the replies - I'll try a card reader as well :)

Make sure you format in camera before use too.
By modern standards the 5Dmk2 isn't particularly demanding on memory cards, by the same token you don't really need to go above 16GB for typical use.

Might be worth a contact with Lexar and see if they can offer any support or possibly even check if they're genuine cards ?

Don't know abut Lexar as I have always used sandisk without any problems for many years

Hi there

I use both Trancend 1000x and ScanDisk Ext Pro in my Canon bodies, I've never had a failure but have noticed inconsistencies in the download speed from the same card!

I've experimented with my reader and using the camera direct and now put it down to windows and the mood it gets into when you connect a USB device.

I never seen the problem on a Mac... Good old Bill Gates!

Regards Chris

Amazon themselves or market place ?

How long ago ?

One was Amazon direct, on 12th of March. I think the other one was from 7dayshop later in the month.

I've ordered a Sandisk one to see if that's any better.

Might be worth a contact with Lexar and see if they can offer any support or possibly even check if they're genuine cards ?

I'll see if I can try that. Don't think I have the packaging any more, but there should be serials etc on them :)

Back