CF cards/sockets

http://pinouts.ru/Memory/CompactFlash_pinout.shtml

I hope that will make any sense. Maybe if you hit the ground one its OK, the rest I'm not too sure. There is also 8bit and 16bit interface so this may mean you can read through one or the other and this may affect speed???? I'm sure someone will know more.

Pin 50 is also GND so make sure that you don't break that one next.

Last edited:
All signals sent on the other pins use the ground pin as a common reference (or negative); that's why it's good to have more than one. :)

I don't understand what the Ground pin does, really; and why are there two if it only needs one?

Can anyone explain this in language that a simpleton can understand?:LOL:

There are two eyes connected to your brain and they see the same things. If you cover one of them you can still see the same things.

Can anyone explain this in language that a simpleton can understand?:LOL:

One pin is superfluous until the other breaks.........? Belt and braces?

Basically, yes. Some cars and bikes used to earth lights etc through the screws and/or bolts that mounted them to the body (until plastic fittings became the norm rather than metal parts) and also had a wire running in parallel doing the same job.

Ok, I think I get that. Thanks.

One pin is superfluous until the other breaks.........? Belt and braces?

Not necessarily. It may be that there are two because the layout/component density of the printed circuit board inside prevents the manufacturer using a single ground pin (i.e. they can't get all the points on the PCB that need to be grounded back to a single pin). In that case both are actually needed.

Not necessarily. It may be that there are two because the layout/component density of the printed circuit board inside prevents the manufacturer using a single ground pin (i.e. they can't get all the points on the PCB that need to be grounded back to a single pin). In that case both are actually needed.

Although in my case it looks like only one of the ground pins is needed because the other is broken.......:)

It seems a bit odd to me but there we go.

it cost me couple of hundred quid about 9 yrs ago to get a new unit fitted to my then d300

Although in my case it looks like only one of the ground pins is needed because the other is broken.......:)

It seems a bit odd to me but there we go.

I would keep the biggest card in there permanently now before you break the other and only get the pics out via USB cable.

Reactions: Sky
Back