CF/SD Cards for 1Dmk2?

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
As the 1Dmk2 is pre SDHC is the upper limit for an SD card that will fit 4GB?

Also - is there an upper limit on the capacity of a usable CF card??? :shrug:

If i remember right, my mk2n had problems with sd cards over 4gb and i think i used 8gb cf cards with no problem.

I used to used 4GB CF cards and an 8GB SD card in my 1Dmk2. They worked fine.

Have you updated the firmware?

I used to used 4GB CF cards and an 8GB SD card in my 1Dmk2. They worked fine.

Have you updated the firmware?

Thanks Lewis - firmware is 1.2.4 - I can now see that 1.2.6 is available - presumably this opens up the access for higher capacity cards?

Hi ,
I did firmware upgrade , have used 8GB cards of both CF and SD without problem. I think you could use bigger cards with out firmware but it didnt use all the space so was pointless:)

One caveat: if you format a card above 8GB in camera it may only format to 8. Other than that I've has no problem using a 16GB card in a 20D and 30D.

One caveat: if you format a card above 8GB in camera it may only format to 8. Other than that I've has no problem using a 16GB card in a 20D and 30D.

Not if you have upgraded the firmware to 1.2.6 for the 1dmkII

From Canon's website

"Q : What has changed in the version 1.2.6 firmware?

A : It includes the following improvements:

It fixes the phenomenon wherein the camera does not detect the capacity correctly when high-capacity recording media are initialized.

a) SDHC cards with capacities exceeding 2GB (e.g., 4GB, 8GB) are now supported.
b) The phenomenon wherein the camera cannot correctly detect the capacity of CF cards with capacities exceeding 8GB (e.g., 12GB, 16GB) correctly when they are initialized has been corrected."

I'm using a 32Gb SDHC & 16Gb CF with no problems in a 1Dsmk2 which had the same firmware update as the 1Dmk2.

Back