Chaffinch

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
No
I caught this male Chaffinch in the Forest of Dean in his winter coat.

The location is a place called Cannop Ponds and there is an abundance of small wild birds as there is a bird table and some feeders where people place nuts and seeds for them. A great location, but you do need to be pretty quick as they in and out like lightening! :eek:

5416822964_7804dd09b2_o.jpg

Regards

They probably perch on a branch nearby to recce first before coming in to the table, might be worth trying to get some shots before they swoop in.

They probably perch on a branch nearby to recce first before coming in to the table, might be worth trying to get some shots before they swoop in.

You are so right, they also pop back into the trees when they have picked up a nut or seed!

Here's a shot of a Blue Tit having just done that!

Unfortunately the location makes it very difficult to get near enough, even with a long lens, this crop is about the equivalent of a 750mm lens on an APS-C sensor.

5416325511_c45dc6178b_o.jpg

Any chance of a few suitable twigs placed near the feeding table then ;)

I will take a look the next time I go there, but it may be a bit difficult as it's in a dip in a clearing, obviously done by the forestry commission for people to have a good view of the bird activity. I guess I could do a temporary arrangement. ;)

I will take a general shot of the area so I can get some suggestions! :D

Thanks for the tips. (y)

Cheers

Last edited:
Back