Beginner Champagne bottle shot

Shakil, you might want to borrow from the library (or buy) the book Light, Science and Magic - it's the definitive guide to lighting and product photography. Lots of situations, lots of approaches, very clear illustrations and descriptions.

What are you tring to achieve with this product shot? - there's a few things that could be pointed out, but without knowing what's intentional and what's accidental it's hard to be constructive.

The way reflection of the light source appears in this photo is ugly and offputting and is generally a no-no in this kind of photography. You need to light it with a large source (maybe a softbox), close in, and probably off to one side. This should provide a nice "stripe" of light down the length of the bottle.

It also looks a little on the soft side.

The change in tone of the backdrop 2/3 of the way up is also unconventional, as is the fact that both tones are grey. Usually you'd want a flat white (or black, but probably white). Unless there's a good reason you have for doing it in this unconventional way.

Caveat: I am in no way a product photographer and may be talking nonsense.

Last edited:
Google the terms 'light field lighting' and 'dark field lighting'. Garry Edwards (member here, lighting guru and Lencarta employee) has a couple of tutorials on the Lencarta site. He has other product shooting tips too.

As above, I would also recommend the book 'light science and magic' but you should be aware, I've been shooting 30 years and there's stuff in there I have to re-read, it's fairly heavy going in places.

Well what do I know:
"Photography is probably the most easiest thing on earth but I hardly found many photographer who are actually successful. Feb 7, 2014"

I know how to do this properly, but I'm not 'successful' ;)

Google the terms 'light field lighting' and 'dark field lighting'.

The problem with a bottle... is there's always going to be a "light field" due to it's shape. The trick is controlling reflections so that they are attractive, and complimentary to the product.

Here.....

BOLLINGER.jpg

....there are still reflections, but they now compliment the shape of the bottle. To be honest... this ain't a fantastic shot either, but it does how reflections can be used creatively. Also, never directly light a bottle. Bound light off stuff. The two long strips of reflection you can see here are probably the large white flats the photographer bounced the light off.

Lighting setup.

Your portfolio shots suggest you have the space, equipment and skills to do this - so why such basic questions?

Or to be blunt, are your portfolio shots not your own work?

I don't know how many ways there are to say this.

Photography is based around a lot of simple physics, and if you don't have the space required, you don't have a business.

If you wanted to repair cars, you'd need a garage big enough for your largest potential customer car and enough working space round it.

You'd frankly sound like an idiot if you went on a car forum after launching your garage business and asked how to work on a car that didn't fit comfortably in your garage.

Short answer: get a bigger space to work in.

Going from the other thread you basic problems are

a) you studio is too small for the work you are trying to do - move, rent a bigger one, take it out in the corridor, do it in your lounge etc

b) the lens you are using is crap and was never designed to be used on a D810 , add to that that shooting at 18mm because you are in a small space isn't a good idea.

c) your lighting set up is inadequate to the task at hand.

- i note that you are a junior member , can you clarify if you are actually a minor , or if its just down to your not having entered a DoB ? Also you say these are 'product photography' can you clarify who for - I'm presuming not Bolinger

Back