change in heart :(

Name
Shane
Edit My Images
Yes
im a bit of a newbie here, not long joined but been doing DSLR work for over a year now (camera work for over 4) and now decided to get rid of it all. Mainly due to me thinking that i could do weddings etc and make some money but its too much pressure (and a mildly screwed one up!!) and a massive money pit!

So lost intrest now to find a new hobby!

So i would like to thank you guys for showing me new ideas!

Regards
shane

Don't give up on photography completely - just take a complete break from it & see if the interest comes back just as a hobby? If you want something more expensive try horses...!!!

Don't give up on it totally Shane, you never know what's round the corner.

If you want something more expensive try horses...!!!

That's my wife's hobby, no wonder there's always too much month at the end of the money :(

Know the feeling - the only way to make a small fortune out of horses is to start with a large one.

I admire your honesty Shane, and it's a cautionary tale for anyone who thinks wedding togging is easy.

What you've done though is soured your love of photography with these bad experiences. Put the camera away for a while, until the urge returns, as it surely will - it must have been there in the first place. ;)

Another alternative - downsize... go back to just a nice compact and have some fun rather than being serious, see if you can rediscover the enthusiasm that way.

Oh, and my daughter suggests trying out Karate, its cheaper than photography or horses [just] ;)

Well I am just starting on the amateur side of using a dslr, and looking forwards to it. No way would I do weddings or anything like that its far too much pressure!

Hopefully if you have a break from pro stuff you will start to have fun again and refind your enthusiasm.

I'm another of the horsey ones, one of the most unproductive hobbies possible, feed goes in at one end at around £8 a sack, and comes out the other end at £0.25p a sack!!! Would not give them up for the world though, very many happy years spent with them

So lost intrest now to find a new hobby!

Hi Shane

If you don't need the cash from selling your kit, I'd hang on to it. Lots of people here use their cameras to photograph their main hobby and depending on what you get into next, you might regret offloading good kit and wouldn't be satisfied with less.

I hardly ever play my keyboard now but really hated it when I sold my stuff and I just had to get another one. And when I do play I fall in love with music all over again.

Good luck, whatever you decide :)

Jean

I'm another of the horsey ones, one of the most unproductive hobbies possible, feed goes in at one end at around £8 a sack, and comes out the other end at £0.25p a sack!!!

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Know the feeling - the only way to make a small fortune out of horses is to start with a large one.

Well - if it makes you feel any better my good lady just bought another dutch youngster from Brightwells auction. She has 3 personal horses (Dressage) and about 12 riding school ponies :bang:

Oh - and she runs the biggest dressage centre in Yorkshire :bang:

Shane - I wouldn't give it up as a bad job. Sometimes experiences can shake things up a lot. I think taking a back seat, and looking at things without the eye of the photographer can sometimes help.

I've taken a step back many a times to take two steps forward the next.

Best of luck whatever you choose to do :)

Don't give up on photography completely - just take a complete break from it & see if the interest comes back.
This is the best advice. I'm always growing tired of photography so I move onto my video (Which I do prefer anyway). And after a few weeks and new ideas pop into my head I'm right back on track again.

Good luck, Whatever you decide :)

Is photographing weddings what you want to do?, Don't throw yourself in at the deep end, if you know anyone who is getting married, why not ask if you can practice at their wedding and give them a few prints at the end of it. Therefore the pressure is off your back and you can relax and enjoy it and learn the ropes.

My G/f's Daughter got married last month and though i don't want to get into weddings etc, i asked if i could tag along with my dSLR, she had no problem with it and i actually got a few decent photo's out of it. One we gave their other family a print of the couple and their baby child (which she preferred to the official photographers prints (though the photographers prints were far more pro than mine)).

I think we all go through stages where we can't be arsed with it, but i know i will always want to get my kit out and go shoot something.

Shane - just worked out where you work! There's a few of us here so maybe we ought to start a company "special interest group". Be more interesting than the brass band anyway!

Cheers for the replies folks, its a tough crack really, i am tired of sitting at the computer at home after using one at work editing photos managing files etc... hence the reason to drop photography. Also after stuffing up a wedding (not badly but shot the lot at 3200ISO as a 2nd body ) just dont have the passion any more....

Will prob get a point and shoot G9 or something :)

shane

I see where you are coming from mate. Bought myself a new camera when I came to uni and hardly used it. Shame really. But about 2 years ago now, a mate of mine here at uni was looking to get a camera. And that for me was enough to spark the interest again. Now Been taking shots for nearly 2 years and love it.

My brother also lost the photography interest in a way, because the camera he had was old and was just causing problems, and as a result was sapping the interest and motivation. He has since got a new 40D and can't wait to get out with it. Shame it's taken so long to get it back because he is, I believe, a better photographer than I. Has a better eye for it than I do.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is, yes things might have gone badly, but there must have been something there in the beginning that gave you that drive to take photos. As said, perhaps "focus" (sorry :D) on a different area of photography, and see if that changes anything. If after that, it still isn't there, move on to something new :)

GL mate :)

where do you think i work then Phil :)

I would always suggest that if you dont need to sell the kit keep it for a while and see if you have absolutely no will to use it anymore. I see quite a few people in the various hobbies I am involed with who lose interest and sell everything only to return 1-2 years later and have the massive bill of buying everything again.

Well - if it makes you feel any better my good lady just bought another dutch youngster from Brightwells auction. :)

Hmmm...I must try them - I usually get my Dutch Youngsters from a dodgy Serbian guy called Slava, but he charges a mint and quite often they turn out to be Ukrainian...:shake:

PMSL!!. And on that note I'm off to fight the traffic. :D

Back