Change my Fuji 100-400 for Nikon 200-500?

Name
Leroy
Edit My Images
Yes
I currently have a Fuji 100-400 with I.4 converter on an XT3. Although I’m happy with stationary subjects I’m not getting good results Handheld shooting birds in flight. I’ve been thinking about selling said lens and getting a Nikon D500 with the 200-500 just to use for wildlife, keeping the T3 for normal everyday use. I’ve been doing some research and the Nikon lens seems to have a superior VR system, and the D500 great for wildlife. I know a lot of it is down to user error.
Being a wheelchair user who’s body only works from the chest up, I’m shaky to say the least. Can anyone give me some advice? Anyone use the Nikon combo? Any help would be much appreciated.

D500 and 200-500 is a superb combination, especially for AF.

I love my X-T2 and 100-400 with the 1.4 telecon but struggle with BIF. I also struggle with BIF using a D750 and a 70-300 VR. I have a feeling that if I sat down and played with the VR/OIS settings and the AF points, I might get some results but as it is, I don't do enough BIF to make it worth my while. From a brief play with a Nikkor 200-500, I reckon it's a significant amount heavier than the Fuji, even with the telecon added.

What about keeping the 100-400 and upgrading the body to an XT4. It has much better focus and in body stabilisation so this might be worth considering. The Nikon 200-500 is a pretty heavy lens and it is long and relatively front heavy at 500mm. If you are really set on a D500 have you considered the 300mm PF and 1.4 tc. This is a really small combination with great handling and VR.

I'd try the D500 and 200-500 properly first, given your circumstances. I have that combination and for an 'able-bodied' person it is hand-holdable, just need to keep the shutter speeds fast to get the best out of it. I also have the 80-400 Nikkor which is a nicer combination but the lens costs double the 200-500.

The reason I say to really try it out is, that when I bought my 200-500 my other half fancied something similar for her Canon to take to Costa Rica, the only option was the Sigma C 150-600. We played with it in the shop and we both liked it. We flew to Costa Rica and started using it with purpose in our hotel garden, and we both struggled with it, same combination of 7D2 and lens was great in the shop but very shaky on location. Suffice to say lens was traded in for an XT-3 within weeks.

Good advice regarding try first before making the leap to Nikon. I had a similar problem/frustration with the XT2 and 100-400+1.4TC, even sent it back to Fuji thinking there was something amiss with it, perhaps it was just me being useless, so I got rid of the lens but kept the XT2 along with my 18-55 and 55-200 lens which I take on holidays etc.
I got the Nikon D500 200-500 combo which I use for RSPB visits and similar and as mentioned it is very heavy compared with the Fuji combo. That said I am much happier with my BIF's and general wildlife shots now, so glad I got the Nikon combo.
I also got myself a Peak Design strap which certainly helps with carrying this extra weight about.

I like Kaolin's advice on perhaps considering the XT4 as a possible upgrade where I've heard it has excellent AF ability which may work better with the 100-400 than the XT2/XT3. If the XT4 had been out before I bought the Nikon I would have given it a try first.......the weight difference is certainly worth checking out before making the leap.

Good advice regarding try first before making the leap to Nikon. I had a similar problem/frustration with the XT2 and 100-400+1.4TC, even sent it back to Fuji thinking there was something amiss with it, perhaps it was just me being useless, so I got rid of the lens but kept the XT2 along with my 18-55 and 55-200 lens which I take on holidays etc.
I got the Nikon D500 200-500 combo which I use for RSPB visits and similar and as mentioned it is very heavy compared with the Fuji combo. That said I am much happier with my BIF's and general wildlife shots now, so glad I got the Nikon combo.
I also got myself a Peak Design strap which certainly helps with carrying this extra weight about.

I like Kaolin's advice on perhaps considering the XT4 as a possible upgrade where I've heard it has excellent AF ability which may work better with the 100-400 than the XT2/XT3. If the XT4 had been out before I bought the Nikon I would have given it a try first.......the weight difference is certainly worth checking out before making the leap.
Thanks for all the helpful advice guys. Weight wise it’s not much of a problem as I have the peak design slide and am on a scooter most of the time. As for switching up to the T4, I’ve had t 1, 2 and now 3, I don’t think I’ll be going for the 4 as I’ve lost enough money going up a model and losing a shed load on the second hand prices. This time my XT3 is going to be a keeper.
I was out today and Ive found There to be a loss of clarity with the converter. ( again that could be down to user error)
I think I’ll have a hold of a the Nikon combo as I know a few people on my local Facebook page I can arrange to meet up and try their kit. I do have the 18-55 and 55-200 which im happy with and the 35 F1.4 and 90 F2 that I can sell along with the 100-400+ converter to fund the Nikon. Decisions decisions maybe I’ve been in lock down too long.

Last edited:
Might i suggest that you investigate a bushmaster or similar.This is basically a skeleton rifle stock onto which is mounted the camera and lens.
If you have ever used a shotgun or rifle it is far easier to track a moving target with one of those than with a camera and lens held to the eye.

Might i suggest that you investigate a bushmaster or similar.This is basically a skeleton rifle stock onto which is mounted the camera and lens.
If you have ever used a shotgun or rifle it is far easier to track a moving target with one of those than with a camera and lens held to the eye.
Just had a browse, I did find similar items but think it may raise too many eyebrows as it looks like your holding a RPG...don’t fancy being being surrounded by armed police :)

Back