Changing 35mm to 50mm

Riz

Edit My Images
Yes
I have the ags dx 35mm which was on my d40x, i know have a D90. Is it worth chopping in the 35mm for the 50mm?

I photo allsorts, i have 18-200 aswell.
Any thoughts? (On the lenses not me please)

Hi

I have a 35mm and have bought 50mm this week. Had a bit of a play with and the lens is a good one for the price.

Jamin100 on this forum is selling his 35mm as he has a 50mm. May be he can confirm which is better.

Although it may come down to personal preference.

I have both, and use the 35 a LOT more than the 50, mainly as a walkabout lens on my D40 (also have a D90, and prefer the 35 on it too).

I can't seem to get results I'm happy with the 50 on DX, but on film (and therefore possibly FX) the 50 is a great focal length.

I guess it comes down to what you use your 35 for? The 50 is meant to be a better focal length for portraits on DX, but I don't really do portraits :)

If you can spare sixty or seventy quid, give a used fifty a bash alongside the 35, but I wouldn't sell my 35 for one.

I wouldn't change lens on account of swapping d40x to d90 if that's what you mean as both are crop sensor cameras so the 35mm will be the same on each.

As to whether 35mm or 50mm, I agree with ronnus. I have both and the 35 gets far more use. Does depend if you take lots of portraits though, I don't really :)

I'm in the other camp. I have both the 35 and the 50 and much prefer the 50.
To me they are equally sharp but I find that the 50mm focuses just a bit faster and when your running around after kids i think that matters.

There both tack sharp though and produce fantastic pictures.
I would keep the 35 but i've just purchased a sigma 70-200 so need to help fund that or the missus will kill me!

I'd defo keep the 35mm..50mm is a good lens, but not worth spending the extra few quid for a very similar lens. Paul

I wouldn't change lens on account of swapping d40x to d90 if that's what you mean as both are crop sensor cameras so the 35mm will be the same on each.

As to whether 35mm or 50mm, I agree with ronnus. I have both and the 35 gets far more use. Does depend if you take lots of portraits though, I don't really :)

Oh ok cool, thats what i was thinking!!

Same it is then!!

Thanks chaps

I used to use my 50 all the time, but then I got a 30mm (Sigma 1.4) and use that instead now as the extra width is really useful, especially indoors or for more than one person.

I have a d90 and both a 35 and 50. I tend to use my 35 for anything indoor but prefer my 50 as a walkabout lens.
Just my 2 cents worth.....

Back