Changing Broadband

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
We are changing from BT broadband to Sky next week, apparently they send us a hub and we plug in and go, will I have to reset all networked pc's and Nas or will it all just "work"?
Many thanks

You'll have a new wireless network name and password that you will have to put into all devices

Could you not just rename your SSID and password to what it was with BT with regard to the wireless side of things?

not too bothered about the wireless changing just wondered about the ethernet side of things?

Just to be clear.

If you have an existing hardwired network that will not be effected.

If it's networked wirelessly then it will need the log in changing will any other
wireless devices - phones, tablets etc..

Just to be clear.

If it's networked wirelessly then it will need the log in changing will any other
That's what I was wondering, thankyou for that!

One thing I have noticed is that on the sky Q hub there is only two ethernet ports whereas on the older sky hubs there is four-at the moment I am using all four on the bt hub so may have to get a splitter or something?

Only thing I can think of is if you use reserved ip addresses for anything, I'm guessing unlikely though on a home setup but you never know.

That's what I was wondering, thankyou for that!

One thing I have noticed is that on the sky Q hub there is only two ethernet ports whereas on the older sky hubs there is four-at the moment I am using all four on the bt hub so may have to get a splitter or something?
You can either buy a switch or make your BT hub into a switch, you will have to stop it setting the dchp.

Not sure if you can use another router with sky?

Seems crazy they have less ports than the old ones!
I have discovered that my Sonos no longer needs a bridge so that's one less!

Seems crazy they have less ports than the old ones!
Yes, I think they are trying to cut cost.

Also once installed make sure you split the 2g and 5g WiFi.

Just get a little tplink 5 port gig switch, less than £20 (edit - 16 quid amazon). Saves messing around with 2 routers.

As for the oriignal question, depends if sky and bt use the same lan ip range otherwise your nas may have a different address etc.

Just get a little tplink 5 port gig switch, less than £20 (edit - 16 quid amazon). Saves messing around with 2 routers.

As for the oriignal question, depends if sky and bt use the same lan ip range otherwise your nas may have a different address etc.

No problem they're all the same internal IP range 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254 DHCP will sort it.

Just to be clear.

Sorry but that might be wrong, depends on what the new ISP uses for it's internal ip address range. some use 192.168.0.x some use 192.168.1.x.. If you have some static addresses these may need ot be checked
Now, you may think thats ok if you use DHCP, but if it's the same address range and devices are online they they have served an ip address with the old router, the new outer knows nothing about that,so you may got some address conflict initially, bu it should sort itself out quite quickly. Most deices now have ip address conflict resolution included

When I changed last year I just changed the log-in details on my own Netgear router, the wifi networks are consequently unchanged.
I never even opened the box of the one they insisted must be sent out.
The internal IP address is determined by the router nothing to do with the ISP per se.

Last edited:
Sorry but that might be wrong, depends on what the new ISP uses for it's internal ip address range. some use 192.168.0.x some use 192.168.1.x.. If you have some static addresses these may need ot be checked
Now, you may think thats ok if you use DHCP, but if it's the same address range and devices are online they they have served an ip address with the old router, the new outer knows nothing about that,so you may got some address conflict initially, bu it should sort itself out quite quickly. Most deices now have ip address conflict resolution included
The only issue I have seen on a home network for static IP is a printer that "Wanders" when rebooted so needed a static IP. As the OP is asking the question Im assuming theres nothing clever going on so DHCP will sort it. Im not disagreeing, its just how deep you want to immerse to OP into i/p addressing.

Getting a wireless Sonos setup to recognise a new router is fun. The Sonos devices store the wi-fi access credentials, but they can only store one set. When you change the router, the old wi-fi credentials don't work, so the devices don't work, so you can't update the wi-fi credentials. The Sonos controller app and Sonos support website will have you going round and round in circles trying to make it work. Update the controller, reboot the devices, reinstall the controller, reboot the devices, reboot the router ... it's enough to drive one mad.

But I cracked it this morning. If you want to try to solve it yourself, feel free to have a go before clicking on the button.
Here's what I did.

1. Relocate the speakers to a spot near the router. (You might not need to do this if they're already near.)
2. Reboot the speakers. (If you've relocated them, plugging them in reboots them.)
3. Connect the speakers to the router with ethernet cables.
4. Get the system working via the controller app - that should be straightforward - and play some music to prove it's working.
5. Reboot one speaker. This is the key step - rebooting whilst working on a wired network.
6. Disconnect the ethernet cable from the speaker you've just rebooted.
7. The controller should ask you for the wi-fi password. This will be stored in the speaker and it will come back to life.
8. Repeat steps 5 and 6 for the other speaker.
9. Relocate the speakers back to where they belong, if necessary.

New Sky hub up and running- managed to set up the Sonos through the app ! Can't set up the Logitech Harmony remote though!

The sky Q should support gigabit across ethernet so make sure the switch you buy also supports gigabit.
If you stream from you NAS, depending how old it is, it should also support gigabit.
When I move media onto my NAS it's nice to see decent transfer speeds.

I couldn't get it on the new wi-fi but sorted it now - plugged it into the pc and got it connected!

So I'm all set up with sky Q TV/Broadband- had a few issues so I will start a new thread on it all soon !

Back